• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Psc plumbing

Dirt700

Got all my steering stuff. The orbital and ram are all -6an, but the hi-pressure side of pump is -8an. So wouldn't it be best to change out the input on orbital to -8 and leave everything else-6?

jccarter1 said:
the orbital most likely has a 10 sae boss that goes to 6an I would just get some new fittings for orbital
Change them all to 8 or just the input? I can get the fittings and make all the hoses I need at work

I ran into a similar issue. I ordered my pump with a 6an pressure fitting but it came with an 8. They sent me a new fitting and I'm running 6an all the way through except for the res to pump, 10an there. The steering can get kinda tight at idle after the fluid heats up. I don't know where the restriction is but theres a good possibility I will upgrade to 8an all the way when I tear down.

Beerj said:
I ran into a similar issue. I ordered my pump with a 6an pressure fitting but it came with an 8. They sent me a new fitting and I'm running 6an all the way through except for the res to pump, 10an there. The steering can get kinda tight at idle after the fluid heats up. I don't know where the restriction is but theres a good possibility I will upgrade to 8an all the way when I tear down.
That's where I was thinking the -8 on pressure side may help, there should be plenty of volume. I also went with xr cbr pump, should help at low rpm

Dirt700 said:
Res. feed and pump are -12an what fittings and hose are good for the low pressure stuff?

I've got a Parker hydraulics store here in Little Rock that has always set me up with the correct hose. I don't recall what type of Parker hose, but it's rigid enough that it won't collapse. Do you have a local hydraulics supply house that you can stop by?

waggener1 said:
I've got a Parker hydraulics store here in Little Rock that has always set me up with the correct hose. I don't recall what type of Parker hose, but it's rigid enough that it won't collapse. Do you have a local hydraulics supply house that you can stop by?
We have a warehouse at work with every hydraulic fitting known to man. Lol, I wasn't sure if regular hydraulic hose would be overkill for the feed to the pump

Dirt700 said:
We have a warehouse at work with every hydraulic fitting known to man. Lol, I wasn't sure if regular hydraulic hose would be overkill for the feed to the pump

Pressure hose would work, but it would be overkill. I've not thought about it in a few years, but if I recall correctly, "single braid" is rated for 3000psi, "double braid" is rated for 6000psi and so on. Obviously, you're not concerned about pressure on a suction hose, but with the wire braid, you definitely wouldn't collapse one. A pressure hose may be more difficult to route due to the lack of flexibility, but if you don't need to make any crazy bends, go for it.

Dirt700 said:
That's where I was thinking the -8 on pressure side may help, there should be plenty of volume. I also went with xr cbr pump, should help at low rpm
I'm running the cbr pump as well. Come to think of it, I might be -12 for the res to pump. I'm running hydraulic pressure hose there but it was free and I only have about 1/2" of hose between the fittings. Coulda damn near just welded them together.

To feed the pump, there is no pressure, so "normal" hydraulic hose will do the trick no problem.

I like the idea of having a straight fitting from the res to the pump, but that also means that both pump and reservoir have to be mounted on the same bracket, otherwise vibrations will kill them.