• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Racing Shifter

mark

I need a new shifter for my hack-job racing truck. The stock auto shifter works, but leaves a little to be desired.

What aftermarket shifter have people used and whats your opinions?

Thinking of something in a ratchet shifter, the tranny will be rebuilt with a reverse pattern shifter. This isn't a rock crawler, so going from gear to reverse in an instant isn't so important. Its not a drag car as well, so reverse lock-out is less important, and I don't want anything a big hassle to get into reverse (I want to be able to get to reverse easily, but I don't need to do it instantly).

Looking for something I can slam through the gears without really looking and know what gear its in. Durability (can take mud and hosings) and simplicity would be a good thing.

What have folks used and loved? and why!
What have folks used and hated? and why (just as important)
________
Xtube

Last edited:
We off road race and I personally have a 5 speed but all the guys that run auto matics are running an art carr shifter or fairbanks shifters that are both the same gated style shifter. Go look them up. I know you can go back and forth between 1st and 2nd with out a "gate change" and then from 2nd to drive without a gate change. We race in the mud and dirt and they seem to take hosings just fine and work smooth and are very simple in design.

Right now I run a modified v-gate and I hate it..... I plan to go with a Art Carr shifter when i can afford to buy one. I have a full manual 727 with reverse valve body.

I have a B&M Mega truck shifter. I will have the truck at work tomorrow, if you want me to stop by after work and show you it i can, PLUS I will have your rim for you! :corn: (If tonight goes as planned:redneck:) PM me if you want. :hi:

We off road race and I personally have a 5 speed but all the guys that run auto matics are running an art carr shifter or fairbanks shifters that are both the same gated style shifter. Go look them up. I know you can go back and forth between 1st and 2nd with out a "gate change" and then from 2nd to drive without a gate change. We race in the mud and dirt and they seem to take hosings just fine and work smooth and are very simple in design.

Are they finding they prefer the gate style shifter over a ratchet? I know most crawelers are fining the gate style to be their prefered, with the art-carr (or equivlent, such as the cheeper Cheetae unit) getting best votes. Althou lots of folks have been doing the modified B&M Pro-Grip ala the BillaVista tech artical.

But thats crawling, where your not on the shifter all the time (I assume). With the short track stuff (tuff truck type) I see myself doing, I'd tend to think I'd be on and off the shifter all the time, popping between gears. Maybe I'm mistacen, seat time is limited so far, but before I was just letting the POS, slushy-stock tranny I have in there right now do the shifting for me. And the stock shifter didn't have very good control over it so I left it alone for the most part.

I have a B&M Mega truck shifter. I will have the truck at work tomorrow, if you want me to stop by after work and show you it i can, PLUS I will have your rim for you! :corn: (If tonight goes as planned:redneck:) PM me if you want. :hi:

Drop by, that would be good. And if I have the time I'll check out the shifter.
________
EXPERT INSURANCE

Last edited:
As mentioned above thay make the best (art car ) my 2cents and exp. says stay away from cable shifters or at least convert it to solid linkage with hyme's. Even a B&M will work like a hooker at midnight with this conversion.

Look inside most of the PNW4WDA race rigs and those with autos will most likly have a art carr shifter. Its simple in design but well made, few moving parts to get dirty and stick and its a fairly compact unit.

Hey Mark, its hard to beat the Art Carrs...:awesomework:
You gunna come play with us some more this year?:cheer:

another art carr vote here. I had a dual gate hurst shifter and it was always a pain in the ass. never looked back after the art carr, the cheetah is plastic I think, so go with the art carr.

OK, sounds like its the Art-Carr/Cheetah by a landslide. no one must like ratchets anymore. The modified Pro-Stick ala BillaVista/Redbull is intriguing as well, and may give me the shift motion I want depending on how I grind it. Something to look at, and at 1/2 the cost of an Art-Carr.

So who's got an Art-Carr sitting on a shelf right now they can "loan" me to try it out. I'll either give it back and buy a new one, or if its new enough (or I don't feel like taking it out) give the lender a new one (or $$). :D

You gunna come play with us some more this year?:cheer:

I hope so. Time and $$'s still limited this year, but I hope to make a couple. I'm gunning for the CORE event first, putting together a "new" (all-be-it still cheap) truck together. The first one was parts I had laying around... this time around I'll atleast be a little more choosy :D

Hopping for the CORE event, and atleast one of the Ethal Tuff Trucks, then whatever else I can squeeze in. It there a (comprehensive) list of PNW and/or PNW type events out yet?
________
PENNY STOCKS

Last edited:
As a member you should know this :fawkdancesmiley:

http://www.pnw4wda.org/competition/index.htm

2009 Competition schedule of events:

All events are subject to change. Please see PNW4WDA Calendar of Events for additional info.

Event Dates
Name or Hosting Club
01/16/09 to 01/18/09
PNW Barrel Racing
Tacoma Dome

05/02/09 to 05/03/09
Webfooters Play Day
Straddleline ORV Park

05/09/09
WOHVA Expo/DNR Safety Summit
Straddleline ORV Park

05/23/09 to 05/25/09
Moonshiners Play Day
Horn Rapids ORV park

06/13/09 to 06/14/09
Ruff Country 4x4s
Lookingglass, OR

07/04/09 to 07/05/09
4 at a Time Play Day
Ethel

07/18/09 to 07/19/09
Outdoor 4x4s Play Day
Ethel

07/25/09 to 07/26/09
Mud Daubers Play Day
Chehalis Fairgrounds

08/21/09 to 08/23/09
PNW Summer Convention
Straddleline ORV Park

09/05/09 to 09/06/09
Summers End Play Day
Ethel

09/26/09 to 09/27/09
Outdoor 4x4s Fun Days
Ethel

Thats a deal...

obviously not yours. I'll have to give him a call.

:beer:
________
ASS GIRL

Last edited:

Latest posts