• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

recovery points

wrecker1

is 1/2 x 3 1/2 plate good enough for recovery points on a CJ front bumper, as part of the winch mount? Or should I step up to my 1 x 2 1/2 plate? Planning on using 3/4 threaded shackles with them.

when I make my recovery points for all my bumpers I have made... I use 1" plate with a 13/16" hole drilled through for the 3/4" shackle...

If you want something like that, let me know... I am sure I have some more 1" in the scrap bin and can punch a hole in some for ya fairly easy... just let me know how long they have to be... Mine are usually about 6" long then I cut them to desired length when mounting.. since it is daylight I will show you some pics this afternoon...

I actually made a set from 1/2 plate I had here, and then decided I didn't like the way they looked, so I bought the 1" plate yesterday so I'd have something to play with this weekend. I drilled 7/8 holes in them yesterday, now I'm just waiting to get the Jeep back in the garage to work on it again.
Nice to know that I made the right decision about the material, tho.
Thanks!
Mike

no problem... happy I could help out.

I didn't like the look of the smaller plate in the larger opening of the shackles.

so out came the torch and roto-broach and then presto.. new tow points.

I will try to get a couple pics up of a couple I have done up...

here is a couple of the tow points I made on one of the rigs...

towpoint1.jpg

towpoint2.jpg

these were made with 1" plate, 13/16" hole for shackle screw, and 3/4" shackle used.

Yep thats what I'm working towards..... As soon as I can get it back in the shop! I am really beginning to hte having a 1 car wide driveway, but parking 2 full size trucks, and a car trailer, and a Durango in a row before I hit the street is nice..... But I always need the rig next to the garage.......