• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Off road recovery is suuuur-e-us

tonybolton

Bypass Crawler
http://www.myfoxboston.com/story/30354823/local-man-stuck-with-48000-towing-bill

WALPOLE, Mass. (MyFoxBoston.com) -- A local man says when he got his Jeep stuck in the mud, a Walpole tow company charged him nearly $50,000 to tow it out.

Joel Ramer said he and his girlfriend took the Jeep off-roading in Walpole last week, and they landed in a mud pit.

Walpole police responded, along with Assured Collision towing company to tow it out.

It took 12 hours to pull the SUV out of the mud pit, but now Ramer doesn't know if he will be able to afford to get his vehicle back.

"When I went to pick up the vehicle from Assured Collision, he'd informed me there was some damage done to the vehicle, but didn't get into details. He also informed me the bill was $48,000," Ramer said. "I thought they made a mistake."

In addition to getting the vehicle stuck, he also got arrested and cited for trespassing and disturbing the peace. Ramer says he was unknowingly off-roading on private property that belongs to a utility company.

Ramer also claims that his Jeep is now totaled after the mud pit and the tow.

"Frame is broken, leaf spring is broken, drive shaft is broken," Ramer said.

Ramer obtained the itemized bill submitted to his insurance. Assured Collision billed him $16,000 for an on-scene supervisor at $1,250 an hour. He is being charged more than $10,000 for an off-road recovery incident response unit. There is also a $5,000 fee for dangerous condition liability insurance. All the equipment and manpower totaled $48,835 for the 12 hour job.

The owner of Assured Collision told FOX25 that his seven man team was in dangerous conditions due to the proximity to power lines. He said it was a hazmat situation and all the fees reflect the industry standard.

He also told FOX25 that Assured Collision is negotiating with Ramer's insurance company. In regards to the damage, he cited several issues with the Jeep he believes existed prior to the tow.

Ramer claims his insurance company is not paying anything towards the tow, so the Jeep remains at Assured Collision.

I love it when they say they were "unknowingly off-roading on private property that belongs to a utility company" If you don't own the land...and you don't have permission...YOURE TRESPASSING. Pretty simple.

He better be happy the utility company hasn't sued him for property damage.

joho75287 said:
Dude goes mudding with no friends to call, and probably no winch.... Amateur.

this is what I was thinking

clemsonjeep said:
I love it when they say they were "unknowingly off-roading on private property that belongs to a utility company" If you don't own the land...and you don't have permission...YOURE TRESPASSING. Pretty simple.

This too.. shouldn't have been "off roading" somewhere he didn't have permission to "ride"

Yes the prices are ridiculous but I can't honestly say that I feel bad for the guy

Sounds like he is too CITY to be doing this, he needs some friends with winches and learn not to call AAA for offroad fun

Stupid prices sounds like robbery, but sounds like a stupid guy, probably a kid, I wheeled in a couple places I shouldn't have when I was a teenager, but if I couldn't get out I'd called a buddy not a tow truck :****:

I would tell them I needed to get something out of the jeep and set that bitch on fire walk back through and hand them the title "peace bitches"

FlatlandFSJ said:
I just wanna know how the hell it took a professional towing company 12 hours to get a cherokar out of a hole? :wtflol:
Imo they stood around fighting over who was getting in the mud to hook it up lol or maybe waiting on a OSHA approved water craft

I think I may sue the power company, tow company, and media that wasted our time with this. All proceeds will be used to throw a big ass Hardline party. :flipgotcha:

I got a tow company with a off road recovery truck. After I have seen this my rates are going up!! ;D

stump jumper said:
I got a tow company with a off road recovery truck. After I have seen this my rates are going up!! ;D

Really? What makes you think that this towing company will ever see a dime? Think about it, if the guy that got stuck in the mud is driving a $500 vehicle, what are the chances that he could even afford to pay a $5,000.00 tow bill much less say $1,000.00 tow bill. That tow company can charge what ever retarded price he want's, getting it, even by suing, will likely never happen.

The unibody of the Heep is cracked and bent and the rear leaf spring broke while they were pulling it out of the mud hole. To top that off, it took Seven guys 12 hours to recover the POS. Worst towing company out there. The towing companies daughter was out there wheeling as well in her SxS and seen them get stuck. She then dropped a dime on daddy to come hook them up along with the police (daddy tows for the city police dept). So the driver of the heep never had a chance to try and recover his heep on his own.

Haha man I was kidding. The last guy I pulled out I charged him $75 it was two miles in the woods which of course he had no money so he was going to come by and pay the next day. Guess what it's been a week and a half and he still hasn't showed up. Any body that thinks that tow bill is OK is crazy. And just so you know I do understand the concept that his heep as you call it was is not worth the tow bill. Unfortunately I lay claims to one of these junkyard jewels each week that is not worth my tow bill which on average is a but $125 on my rotation calls.

Latest posts