• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Rockwell tech - stock 16spl 4340 axles

TURNEROFFROAD

I have been back and forth and just wanted to see what the concensus was. How much will they take? It seems like they'd be the equivalent of the shafts in the 14bolt steers at least

So my question is this - A 4500# rig on 43's and 550 ponies, will they hold up ok if beat like a stepchild...
I know the 2 inchers are available, I just dont see dropping 7k when 3k will do the trick ( assuming that the stock size 4340's will hold up)
please sound off and let me hear from EXPERIENCE

If you know of failure, please share what kinda rig it was used in...

I've heard a redneck rumor that stock rockwell shafts are stronger than 16 spline chromos because they twist and spring back instead of breaking.

My junk weights 5800lbs f/r steer rocks with 47s with a warmed over cobra 302 4 speed and two cases and it breaks stock shafts periodically but mostly stub shafts i just carry a couple extra sets with me it hasnt broke anything in over a year and im pretty hard on it at times.

Apparently I don't beat mine hard enough. (I'll change that when the new buggy gets done) I haven't broken my Ouverson 16 spline shafts in a year and a half. 570hp big block in a 5900lb 4 wheel steering buggy on 44" boggers. Not a lot of traction in the midwest, though.

I think Rkeys Buggie is 16 spline oversion shafts also maybe he will chime in?I'm on the same fence as you right now, it would be nice if they would hold up for half the price.

So if a guy made a custom axle using bone stock Rockwell shafts they would hold up to a little 39" tire on a 3500 pound buggy?

If you could get enough ground clearance they would last a long time. Mine does real good for the beatings it gets i do rev control pavment launches all the time with it for laughs but it does break a shaft if i get a high bounce and dont lift.

I ran stock shafts in my old red buggy and never broke one. I broke the stock short side shaft inner and outer on Poison Ivy with around 600hp. I bought chromo 16 spline for my buggy im building with around 475 hp so I hope they hold up. R Key has the same thing in Blaze and we no he beats on it. I guess it all just depends.

TURNEROFFROAD said:
Thanks guys... I'm still listening to the input, just not sure what to do

Thanks for the post. Been asking myself the same question for a while. Good to hear who is breaking what and how. I was planning on Overson 47's in the rear and 16's up front while keeping a set of stocks for front spares just in case. Will have to make my mind up soon but am not sure yet either.

I have a stroked 489 with 625 lb torque and broke a stock Rockwell front shaft exiting lions den at 1200 rpm's. Installed 16 spline oversons two years ago and installed 43 stickies and been beating ever since. Broke the fuel tank off and bent a beadlock wheel in the race at GMP this Saturday, axles still good!

When I went to 54s on my 7500 lb rig I could break stock shafts just backing off the trailer lol. I went with Ouverson 2" 47 splines in the rear which fixed that problem.. but I was still blowing front shafts and I knew I would. I wanted to put the 2" shafts in the front but just didn't really have the money to go full tilt on the front axle after having just done the rear. We had a trip coming up to go to Hotsprings off road park and I knew I needed something quick. So I ordered some Ouverson 16 spline chromo direct replacements with the hopes of them lasting through the trip. I was pleasantly surprised when after the trip I pulled the shafts and the splines weren't even twisted! So I put them back in and decided to see just how much abuse they would take under the front of my rig. To date they are still good (knock on wood)...and I beat the crap out of them on a regular basis ...especially this last weekend at GMP.

I am no bouncer but my rig is heavy and im not afraid to beat it like a step child. At some point Im sure ill break them but I have been pleased so far. I do know that I don't think they would live in the rear of my rig.

JJ ran 2" in the rear of his buggy and 16 spline chromos up front as well. I don't think he had any problems with them either.

1tonyj said:
JJ ran 2" in the rear of his buggy and 16 spline chromos up front as well. I don't think he had any problems with them either.

They are still holding strong and I beat on it hard enough to rip a link tower off the front axle this past weekend.

I have twisted the splines nearly 90 degrees on 16 spline chrome moly shafts inner andtwisted splines on two stub shafts.randall key h as broken some as well

I ran ouverson chromos the whole time till aop race where I broke both fronts. For what I spent replacing shafts I could've bought my rcvs that I have now instead my dumbass paid for them twice. I would recommend putting the parts you know you want the first time this will be by far the cheapest way to do it cause you know you're going to buy them one day just my 2cents

NTIDWELL said:
I ran ouverson chromos the whole time till aop race where I broke both fronts. For what I spent replacing shafts I could've bought my rcvs that I have now instead my dumbass paid for them twice. I would recommend putting the parts you know you want the first time this will be by far the cheapest way to do it cause you know you're going to buy them one day just my 2cents

This^^. I don't run rockwells, but I went through this with 1 tons. Started with 4340's, then ended up going with RCV. I wish I would have just ponied up in the first place.

Latest posts