• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Roll Cage Tubing Material Grade

rover18

So I've been wanting to build a roll cage for awhile now and have been doing some research on the grade of material to use for a roll cage. I'm not talking about DOM vs. HREW because those are two of the processes in how tube is made. I want to figure out what grade of material (A513 C1026, A519 C1026 (cds), A36, A500, A106, etc., etc.) people have used, why or why not. The different grades of material will give different strengths, how it is welded, and heat treated will all play into the strength of the cage itself.

Now, that I've made it more confusing than it needs to be and have probably over thought it. Let's hear what people have to say. Remember, we are talking about the safety and well-being of human lives.

:beer::beer::beer::beer:

:corn:

this could be a **** show.

don't think they make "tube" in A36.... I could be wrong.

Most guys run your basic A513 DOM tube. The A513 is the grade and the DOM is the type. I would stick with that and size it correctly to the weight of your rig.

Or you could use pipe.

Last edited:
I may have opened Pandora's box.... but I think it could be valuable information. I had a pdf file I came across when I was researching at work, but now I can't find it from home.

You are correct, Maverick. A36 is plate/bar, the 36 stands for 36 ksi yield strength. It was just an example for material grade. And I guess when I say material grade I mean composition. (AISI 1018, AISI 1020, ASTM A36, etc)

When you say "pipe" do you mean pipe from home depot for poop or pipe as in schedule 40 or 80 A53?

This is pretty good info
http://www.roguefab.com/calculator.php

Last edited: