• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

rugged radios

06blktj

We have a small group planning on buying some rugged handheld radios for trail rides. We have tried the cheap route of unidens from radio shack or walmart and they suck in the mountains. Has anyone run the rugged in a mountainous area to know how well they perform and how the range is? I know they are awesome in the desert but I just need a mountain review. If this is in the wrong place please move

I don't know how they compare, I'm sure just as good if not better, but my FRS radio reached from somewhere around your turn back down to Putney trailhead clear as day. Which is basically talking through the mountain side. I'm sure the Rugged stuff gets out just as good. At Harlan we have watched our friends drive right below us and they never heard a word from us as we were calling them on the CBs some used to run.

CB's are honestly a pain in the butt and just looking for something better. Also we usually travel in a pack in the tow rigs and the portables could be used there.

The optional extended antenna on the hand held helps a lot for longer range if you decide to go for it. If I can help let me know.

Puxing
Model# Px-777 handheld radios
get the VHF version

They are between $50-60 on ebay from china. We typically order a 4 pack at a time. Usually takes a week'ish to get to you.
You just have to program the channels, super easy, they send a CD and a cable to hook to your computer. Create list, and upload to radios. Or you can manually do each channel, do able but much more time consuming.

I highly recommend them. We used to all carry $400-500 Kenwoods, and all now carry these cheapo's so if they break, or get lost or walk off, its not the end of the world.

Here is the freq's to my trunk 1, and what we load all of our Puxings with.

F3BD0A7C-6D36-47ED-BDC0-376C83E34118_zpslpvuecek.jpg

now we are talking range, thats a factor of the watts each radio puts out on broadcast.
Handhelds are regulated by the FCC to 5watts, thats not much. Line of sight maybe a true mile. But add a mountain between....

Most people put the 50watt bases in their vehicles. much more range. or if you are real baller put the 110w in. I could reach my Main Pit trailer that had a 30' ringo-ranger tower antenna from 70 or so miles out in the Unicorn when I was racing it with a 110w. Sadly they only had a 50w, so they could only hear me, I couldnt hear them.

look at Baofeng UV-5R handheld radios. It's a small HAM radio. You can program to use MURS channels.
We use them during motorcycle woods racing for rescue and such.
They are cheap 35.00, somewhat durable, good battery life and with the shareware online, easy to program.

blacksheep10 said:
Wyatt,
What you think of these:
http://www.bajaracinggear.com/7_Watt_High_Power_2_way_Dual_Band_VHFUHF_Portable_Race_Radio/p2532483_14666943.aspx
7 watt, already programmed, multi frequency, external antenna for $25

those 7w all seem to be around $75. If you're only buying one, then sure $99 works to pay someone else to do your programming. But if you guys bought a bunch, would make sense to program them yourself.
When I see the Baofeng 5w is only like $35, I wonder how good they are. Same as I felt about the Puxings.
If the 7'ws work, I'll likely switch, keep me posted.

InDaShop said:
those 7w all seem to be around $75. If you're only buying one, then sure $99 works to pay someone else to do your programming. But if you guys bought a bunch, would make sense to program them yourself.
When I see the Baofeng 5w is only like $35, I wonder how good they are. Same as I felt about the Puxings.
If the 7'ws work, I'll likely switch, keep me posted.
Ya, I get its only $25 to program like 50 channels, but it looked like the cheap add on antenna, batteries, battery eliminator, helmet kits etc made it attractive to grab 4 for the cost of a kenwood for something like we did last year in Colorado. I'm always so damn leary of messing with straight from china buys, hopefully these work as they had to power up to program them.

look at Baofeng UV-5R handheld radios. It's a small HAM radio. You can program to use MURS channels.
We use them during motorcycle woods racing for rescue and such.
They are cheap 35.00, somewhat durable, good battery life and with the shareware online, easy to program.

I'm a HAM Operator these are good radios for the $ use mine in the woods all the time

chirp will program all the PUBLIC channels you need

Latest posts