• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

School me on Jeep Cherokee

I have gotten valid info from both zukkev and Avanteone, i know a little myself but more about my own rig then in general. SYE is slip yoke eliminator, a little google search will clear it up, but basically removes the unreliable slip yoke set up on ever cherokee's T-case. It will also require a new rear driveline.

EDIT: beat me to it Zukkev.....:awesomework:

lookin at a 87 tonight, anything I should look for? anything weak on that year or would it be a good wheeler? thanks guys I really dont know these jeeps so I apreciate your input , Just lookin for a cheep strong 4x4

Another thing to consider when looking for a cherokee is what Dana 30 you have up front. Avoid the ones with the vac disconnect if you can, although they can be converted to take a 1 piece shaft. There are also versions with stronger shafts (I think it is the ones with ABS). There are problems with the Bendix ABS found in the Renix Cherokees (87-90) and it can fail so I would reccomend replacing it immediately if you have it. As said before the Dana 35 is a very weak rear axle and I would never reccomend wheeling one on larger than 32" tires. Some cherokees did come stock with a Dana 44 rear so if you check around the junkyards you should be able to find a bolt in 44 for the rear. To put a Dana 44 up front would require a bit of fabrication, but a Dana 30 can handle up to 35" tires. Myself and several other Cherokee drivers I know have been sucessfully wheeling a Dana 30 with 35" tires with no problems.

87 is, I understand, the one possible yr that could have come with a rear D44 stock!:awesomework: Take a look at that, and if the diff cover is oval shaped, it's a D35.... if not oval---likely a 44 in '87...

87 is, I understand, the one possible yr that could have come with a rear D44 stock!:awesomework: Take a look at that, and if the diff cover is oval shaped, it's a D35.... if not oval---likely a 44 in '87...

Believe a few years did and they were on some towing package cherowagons.. :redneck: Quite rare.

Been a long time since I got out my heeps though so could be wrong.

Believe a few years did and they were on some towing package cherowagons.. :redneck: Quite rare.

Been a long time since I got out my heeps though so could be wrong.

I believe the yrs later than 87 that were opted with the 'tow package' came with the chrysler 8.25 rear instead of the D44; while the base axle was still the D35...

I believe the yrs later than 87 that were opted with the 'tow package' came with the chrysler 8.25 rear instead of the D44; while the base axle was still the D35...

Correct. I believe the "sahara" package on some wranglers came w/ a d44. The rear is easy to deal with, it's the front that is challenging depending on tire size. But for a DD light wheeler on smaller tires a D30 will work. Try to avoid the vacuum lock 2 piece D30's.

In the mid 90s you could get one with a sweet d44 aluminum center section. Pretty rare but I have seen one and read about them.

My buddy pointed an xj out to me at pick a part that had one. Read about it once on fwor's site. My 92 had a chrysler rear.:rb:

Correct. I believe the "sahara" package on some wranglers came w/ a d44. The rear is easy to deal with, it's the front that is challenging depending on tire size. But for a DD light wheeler on smaller tires a D30 will work. Try to avoid the vacuum lock 2 piece D30's.

I believe John's mentioned it before....but the Vacuum disco isn't really any weaker than a non-disco, not to mention this gives the ability to devize some sort of manually selectable locker of sorts for the front...although not the most optimum set-up, it can and has worked in the past-and on the cheap!:awesomework:

My buddy pointed an xj out to me at pick a part that had one. Read about it once on fwor's site. My 92 had a chrysler rear.:rb:

Your buddy must have been high.

Aluminum centersection rear dana 44 was NEVER put in an xj. They were in WJ grand cherokees from 99-04.

The chrylser 8.25 isnt a bad axle. much better than a dana 35.

The disconnect is another point of failure. Slide coller engagement issues, another place to spend money.

Trussed end to end, a dana 30 will live with 35's and a competent driver. The competent driver is the most important part. :awesomework:

Renix **** sucks ass. Get a 91-95 HO. I have an OBD2 96 that is great. Some people say stay away, but its only really a problem with forced induction. I like the diagnostic system way better.

AX5's are weaker than weak.

I have blown up two AX-15's. THey arent too bad, but IMO the AW4 is the way to go in the cherokee.

If you are gonna wheel it, front frame plates will help.... But you need to do stiffeners from the front frame plates to the rear leaf mounts on the frame. The cherokee's are noodles. If you wheel it, you will bend it. THey are made of sheetmetal and are weak. A simple cage will do wonders if tied in correctly to the structure.

Any cherokee's you go to look at, there are several indicators of damage. Cracks in the door frame area (in the door jam) and in the roof. check how many cracks are in the hatch. Check the condition of the door hinges (if they have been repaired, Most have been, doors like to fall off)

Also, look at the passenger upper control arm mount on the axle side. If it has been bottomed HARD or crashed into something, the upper control arm/UCA mount on the axle will make contact with the Oil pan rail. Mine has a chunk missing out of the sealing surface :haha:

Look at body lines. If they have a nice arch, all the doors close and open, and the hatch looks good. Buy it.

It the body lines look "flat", unibody cracks, and other damage. Walk. :awesomework:

Dana 35 is a great excuse for a 8.8 explorer axle w/disks :awesomework:

looked at the 87 tonight, has a dana 35 in the rear, has inline 6 injected with a 5 speed, been sitin a couple years whats a "Renix" ?

looked at the 87 tonight, has a dana 35 in the rear, has inline 6 injected with a 5 speed, been sitin a couple years whats a "Renix" ?

Renix was the first version of the inline 6 for the jeeps. Its an AMC engine, not mopar. Renix would be fuel injection system its run on.

The only year a cherokee had a d44 rear was the 87 with the tow package. No other year with the tow package had them. I am sure theres a few floating around the had paid to have them put in but good luck finding that..

what years are renix?

Renix came in 87 to early 90 (IIRC) models...

"87-'90".. Here's my thoughts on WHY renix's suck... No option for a "chip" or throttle body spacers... The Shortblock is dirferent from the '91 n newer also... Lets say you have a engine mount failure on the D.side... this will cause the mount that bolts to the block on the P.side to stress the 3 little weak thread bosses and most likely snap them off... I lost a perfectly good running engine to this:mad: in my 1990.....

1991 n newers all run the "HighOutput" systems which are a great improvement and give you more options for power increase and reliablitly with the injection system.... Not to mention if the above engine mount issue happens, you have 7 thread boss tab options to make a mount to bolt to OR you can buy a M.O.R.E offroad mount... I made mine and it works wonders..:D

Pretty much Everybody has hit all the key points with cherokars...:awesomework: ... Watch for rust around the rockers on these things, the rubber body trim hides it well... Hell, lay down and look at the seat mounting area's from the underside and look for cracks there as well...

OR , Go buy a WRANGLER and never look back:redneck:

The 5 speed is a peugeot BA-10. Run like the wind. Worst trans possible behind the 4.0

I have a friend with a woodie wagoneer that is a 4.0/aw4 combo. I'll ask him how much he wants if you are intrested.