• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

School me on trailer tires!

Sam try six robles for tires. i bought a spare trailer tire and rim mounted, for less than 100.

Spare tire and wheel from them is now almost double that:mad:

Called them about a month ago just for a spare and they wanted an arm and a leg

Im leaning towards the more expensive ones from schwabs, espcially with there roadside assitance they offer:redneck:

Spare tire and wheel from them is now almost double that:mad:

Called them about a month ago just for a spare and they wanted an arm and a leg

X2!!! Before our trip to Sand Lake, I went out to our local Robblie's hub to pick up some parts for a job, and while there, I asked about a spare tire/wheel....Almost $160!!!:yikes: (with our discount!:yikes::yikes:)

What if you were to get whatever tires you decide on and when you're not using your trailer for a spell, raise it off the ground by the axles. And, cover your tires? Would that work?

Thanks for checking into tires Sam

Im actually going to take some 2X6 and cut them to length of both tires just to get them off the wet ground all the time and i will be covering them from now on as well

Im probably going to go with the schwabs premium tires cause there cheaper than the rest and in stock and they have awesome road side assitance

What if you were to get whatever tires you decide on and when you're not using your trailer for a spell, raise it off the ground by the axles. And, cover your tires? Would that work?

Thanks for checking into tires Sam
It's not just having weight on them or exposure to the elements that shortens tire life. Using tires by driving on them or having them on a trailer flexes the casing and pushes wax and oils to the surface and "renews" the rubber. And the wear on the tread exposes new rubber which effectively keeps that area fresh.

It's not just having weight on them or exposure to the elements that shortens tire life. Using tires by driving on them or having them on a trailer flexes the casing and pushes wax and oils to the surface and "renews" the rubber. And the wear on the tread exposes new rubber which effectively keeps that area fresh.

Ahhh, okay. So, what if you just put a rock tumbler under each tire and hooked them up to a timer. Say 2-3 hours a day of rolling and you'd be good to go. :redneck:

My plan would be to buy a new trailer every 3 years or so. At 500 hundy for tires, sell your old one for 15 and get a new one for 2 :haha:

before i knew better i destroyed several tires by leaving my trailer tires stressed after backing it up while turning and leaving it that way parked.

Ok, I am new to trailers and this "Stressed" is a new term to me, can someone explains what it means and how to avoid it if it is damaging to the tires?

k so tires just sitting is bad but what are you looking for with a trailer tires like rim size load rating i am new to this trailer tire thing when my truck need tires i look on cl till i find a good deal..but last week i went to my trailer and two tires flat on the ground and weather cracked (expected though the tread is almost wore out and had the thing for about 6 years now) so what are you looking for with trailer tires or can you just throw a set of 6ply 31" truck tires on it!

My plan would be to buy a new trailer every 3 years or so. At 500 hundy for tires, sell your old one for 15 and get a new one for 2 :haha:

Next time it needs tires i probably will:redneck:

Ok, I am new to trailers and this "Stressed" is a new term to me, can someone explains what it means and how to avoid it if it is damaging to the tires?

so you know how when you back your trailer around a corner or something ted?

And when you do that how the tires look like there about to peel off the rim?

Well if you park it like that then the tires are super stressed, you want to get them as unstressed as possible for storage:awesomework:

so what are you looking for with trailer tires or can you just throw a set of 6ply 31" truck tires on it!

You can either get "trailer" tires or get LT tires, personal choice. LT tires would last longer when being actively towed, but when sitting, I beleive they will get weather checked quicker. Trailer tires will be somewhat cheaper (if bought new) And, if your trailer has heavier axles, 6 ply won't be rated for the loads that your trailer axles are rated for. As far as 31", your trailer may be able to fit em.

Got my new ones put on today and picked up a spare as well, seems how none of these trailers come with a spare

so you know how when you back your trailer around a corner or something ted?

And when you do that how the tires look like there about to peel off the rim?

Well if you park it like that then the tires are super stressed, you want to get them as unstressed as possible for storage:awesomework:

Dang I forgot about this until today and then had to do a search to find the thread. :mad:

Thanks Sam. I guess I am such a poor driver when it come to backing my trailer that I an jockying back and forth so much to get it into the parking stall where I store the Trailer that they are unstressed as I have never seen then even leaning, little lone looking like they are about to peel off the rim. No corner to back around either, so I guess that helps. :fawkdancesmiley:

But good information to have in the old head just in case.

Dang I forgot about this until today and then had to do a search to find the thread. :mad:

Thanks Sam. I guess I am such a poor driver when it come to backing my trailer that I an jockying back and forth so much to get it into the parking stall where I store the Trailer that they are unstressed as I have never seen then even leaning, little lone looking like they are about to peel off the rim. No corner to back around either, so I guess that helps. :fawkdancesmiley:

But good information to have in the old head just in case.

Come try and put your trailer where i store mine:haha: