• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Sealing electrical splices

Those look like aircraft moisture proof splices. Only differance is on A/P's the metal splice barrel is crimped not soldered. The shrink sleeve is pretty much identical.

I've found that over the years on cars, trucks and trailers that if the joint is soldered you'll never have a problem with the splice. Only ones I've ever had trouble with were the cheep ass pre-insulated K-mart style crimps that were put on by someone else who was in a hurry to get the job done.

Those look like aircraft moisture proof splices. Only differance is on A/P's the metal splice barrel is crimped not soldered. The shrink sleeve is pretty much identical.

I've found that over the years on cars, trucks and trailers that if the joint is soldered you'll never have a problem with the splice. Only ones I've ever had trouble with were the cheep ass pre-insulated K-mart style crimps that were put on by someone else who was in a hurry to get the job done.

x500 :awesomework:

Find someone who hasn't had to fix one of those crappy splices laying on their back, in the mud, under a camp trailer a 100 miles from home at 3:00 AM cause the running lights went and all you want to do is get to your camp site. :haha:

Last edited:
i havent tried those connectors before, but ive never had i problem with just using heat shrink over an uninsulated connector thats been soldered. i use two pieces and overlap them when im worried about water getting into them. as long as it fully seals around the wire. and never had a comeback. but then again ive never wired an amphibious hotrod or anything.

I use a crimp style with heat shrink ends that also has some kind of sealer that comes out when you shrink the connection.

I don't much care for that style either----I use uninsulated crimp connectors and good quality shrink tube to seal it/support the wire at the crimp....soldiering can brittlize the wire right where the soldier ends,causing it to break right there...

those are the sh%t they have them at innerstate battery I've used a few for my under carrage lights:awesomework:

That was my first thought. THat and I am lazy as hell.

I use them at work. I don't like them---they are too bulky.

Sounds like an overwhelming consensas with these little guys. I am looking for a quck and easy way to get the job done. I might give these guys a try.

Anyone know what the cost comparison is for just Sodering/regular sleeves?

To answer you question if i have wired much, yes I have but twisting the damn wires and electric tape isn't cutting it any more.:haha:

If i were going for totally waterproof stuff, i would go with the submersable well wire connectors with self sealing heat shrink.