• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Shafties

hlb3

Zombie Hunter
So Mike and anybody else that is still doing the comps:

So is anybody still running shafties and still staying competitive at the comps? I dusted off the old crawler and started tearing it apart to fix a few things. Since I at least have Sundays off again, I was thinking about maybe hitting up a comp once in a while, it was a lot of fun.

Like a year and a half ago I went to one up at Deception Pass after about a year and a half off, there was a lot of MOA rigs and some of the lines were starting to seem a bit ridiculous unless you had super super low COG and a lot of belly clearance that you can only get by going MOA. So I was just curious if a real basic shafty is even worth bringing out anymore.

There are still guys running Shafties, Mainly the Losi comp crawlers. MOA's definately have the advantage for low COG & belly clearance which is why people run them.

What kind of shafty do ya have? If youve got a Losi night crawler or comp crawler, a guy by the name of eritex on rccrawler.com sells a MOA conversion kit for them and have read good reviews on it. I almost bought the conversion kit for my night crawler but I followed all the hype on the new xr10, I still am not satisfied with it so I have to continue tuning it to my liking.

I've just got an AX-10 axled setup with an Axial trans and Vanquish dig. Not really looking to spend anymore money on it other than repairing a few busted things to get it going again. If I started to get into the comps again I wold probably build something new, but no sense doing a bunch of stuff to have it sit around on the shelf...

Well bust that thing out and come to one of the upcoming comps, if ya start to get back into it then build something new.

The MOA's might have an advantage in certain areas but alot of it comes down to the driver, It cracks me up when I see people at comps with top of the line equipment who cant drive for ****. Ya know fully built berg, bully or xr10 running 4PK and all the other fancy ****.

Yeah, driver makes all the difference in the world. I remember when I was going to the comps all the time there was somebody with an almost bone stock AX10, I don't think he even had a dig unit on it, that would place up at the top of the pack almost every time.

That's another reason I don't want to spend the money, no matter how much I spend I'm going to suck because I have only taken the crawler out two times in like 3 years. :redneck:

You can run sportsman's class les. Yes there are still a few shafty's left but not many in the top of the field--simply because most of the die hard guys have gone MOA....

google that ****. :) Half way down in the following link you will find more on the sportsman class.

HERE

Theres the pro 2.2 class which runs dig with 10 gates & the sportsmen class that runs no dig with 5 gates.

Thanks for the link Jack, I suppose I could have done that myself, but I was just being lazy. :redneck:

No dig doesn't sound like much fun. So is the Sportsman class like the new/replacement Novice class?

Thanks for the link Jack, I suppose I could have done that myself, but I was just being lazy. :redneck:

No dig doesn't sound like much fun. So is the Sportsman class like the new/replacement Novice class?

NO problem I am lazy too...I just happened to know where it was.:flipoff:

I think this is/would be the class I run. Nothing like having a bunch of 12 - 15 year olds show you how its done.:redneck:

The sportsmans class took over the novice class. Its still pushed for the novice drivers Les but there have been a few guys who have ran the class and like it. Also they are not easy courses or seperate courses like you remember since they are the first 5 gates of a normal 2.2 class..

Seems like a better system than the novice class.

So speaking of obsolete crawler stuff, how crappy of tires are Rock Claws compared to everything else now?

Seems like a better system than the novice class.

So speaking of obsolete crawler stuff, how crappy of tires are Rock Claws compared to everything else now?

They are still a good tire but not quite as good as the rovers. They are also smaller than rovers...

I run the white dot rovers & love them so far but I've been tossing around the idea of running the losi boss claws

A taller tire would be nice, I think that's always been the biggest downside of the Losi's. I will have to keep an eye out for some cheap Rovers. I wish I still had my nice aluminum wheels.

I finished tinkering with my chassis, I got it sitting where I want it to be. I ordered some metal CV driveshafts, hopefully that's the last time I have to buy driveshafts for this thing. So now I just need to order some new battery packs and I should be ready to run again.

A taller tire would be nice, I think that's always been the biggest downside of the Losi's. I will have to keep an eye out for some cheap Rovers. I wish I still had my nice aluminum wheels.

I finished tinkering with my chassis, I got it sitting where I want it to be. I ordered some metal CV driveshafts, hopefully that's the last time I have to buy driveshafts for this thing. So now I just need to order some new battery packs and I should be ready to run again.

If you watch the vendor sections of rccrawler.com you can find some good deals on tires, I picked mine up for 11.99 a pair from Brianshobbyland.

If you need a good source for cheap batteries check out hobbyking.com, I run Turnigy 1000MAH 3S lipos & they cost me 5 bucks each. Alot of people run Turnigy's & Rhinos from Hobbyking with good results :awesomework:

I'll have to check that out and see what I can find for tires.

I don't run lipos, I don't really want to invest a bunch of money in a new charger. I need a nimh pack, in kind of a weird configuration, so I'll probably be getting them from cheap battery packs.