• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

SM465 on the road

Boonie Buster

Stuck on a Curb
How many of you have one? Anyone drive one to and from the trail? Like it hate it? I'm looking into manual transmissions to replace my 700r4, or at least researching it. :redneck: Some people bring up good points about the slush box and overheating on long steep climbs, as my does/did...:looser: Just wondering if anyone enjoys the 4 spd on the hwy! :haha:

Basically a 3 speed. Long jump from 3rd to 4th but depending on whatyear you get it will be a nice shifting quiet trans. The newer ones are quieter with a 32 spline output.

You are dual 203/205 right? The only factory 465/203 was 1974 I don't think there are aftermarket adapters for you...

I have a 465/203 combo. I also have a 465 205 combo too.

I thought that was you that had that combo... Before doublers were popular a buddy bitched that the two trucks he bought had 465/203's in them :haha:

Boonie if you are seriously considering this swap just get it from Chop shop, you likely won't find another one...

How many of you have one? Anyone drive one to and from the trail? Like it hate it? I'm looking into manual transmissions to replace my 700r4, or at least researching it. :redneck: Some people bring up good points about the slush box and overheating on long steep climbs, as my does/did...:looser: Just wondering if anyone enjoys the 4 spd on the hwy! :haha:

I had one in my now retired company truck. On the highway, even around our country roads it was just fine. It brought the suck in Portland/Vancouver traffic when I had to be in it. It wasn't even that bad in normal city driving, in my mind. But I've been driving a manual for 34 years now.

why not go to a NV4500 and get the overdrive gear? You have the room underneath?

I do have PLENTY of room, but from researching THAT swap also, it's way more spendy, other than gaining overdrive, i just did the math, the gearing isn't much different depending on the version of nv4500 you get, plus adapting them to a np205 or ford np205 is a little sketchy IMO (you use this funky sleeve with a ford np205...) plus bellhousings and stuff are more readily available for the sm465/420s... nv4500's are spendy and overrated from what i've seen...

Last edited:
Don't forget there is always the option of selling your crawl box and adapter the using a widely available 465/208 with your 205 hanging off of it. Lower geared planetaries aren't too shabby. :D

Lower geared planetaries aren't too shabby. :D

I have a friend with a suburban that shits those regularly.
It opens up the planetary cage and lets it all all the teeth slide by each other.

I ahve even welded the ends up better than OEM. The stock ones are welded and ground down for cleaance. It just busts the welds and lets the cage get bigger till it skips.

I have ground a deep notch and welded them better and only ground off enough to fit and he still manages to kill them.

But he is really good at changing them in the woods.:awesomework:

Nothin says shitty like hangin cast IRON off of aluminum.:rolleyes:

SM465 is a tough tranny and you typicly won' break it it. The 1:1 final drive sucks so does the ratio splits from 1-2-3-4

If I was to do it again I would run what puss-n-boots is.

I have a friend with a suburban that shits those regularly.
It opens up the planetary cage and lets it all all the teeth slide by each other.

I ahve even welded the ends up better than OEM. The stock ones are welded and ground down for cleaance. It just busts the welds and lets the cage get bigger till it skips.

I have ground a deep notch and welded them better and only ground off enough to fit and he still manages to kill them.

But he is really good at changing them in the woods.:awesomework:

Nothin says shitty like hangin cast IRON off of aluminum.:rolleyes:

Big heavy 'burban vs boonie in an s-10 that runs a 44 that doesn't break. Good comparison. :flipoff:

Anyone that'd hang a 205 off of a 208 without much additional support deserves to break.

I'm building the mounts for my Aw4/231/300 when I get home this weekend and the hell if I'm leaving anything under supported. It will all be tied in together just as I'd suggest anyone that beats on their junk should do. :D

Big heavy 'burban vs boonie in an s-10 that runs a 44 that doesn't break. Good comparison. :flipoff:

Anyone that'd hang a 205 off of a 208 without much additional support deserves to break.

I'm building the mounts for my Aw4/231/300 when I get home this weekend and the hell if I'm leaving anything under supported. It will all be tied in together just as I'd suggest anyone that beats on their junk should do. :D

Can you PM me some info on what you did with the np208/np205? :corn:

Can you PM me some info on what you did with the np208/np205? :corn:

I haven't DONE anything yet but I would tie it all together for sure.

If you can score the setup from chop shop I'd do that due to you already having the adapter all set up.

But I'll pm you what I build this weekend if you like.

Latest posts