• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

SM465 on the road

I haven't DONE anything yet but I would tie it all together for sure.

If you can score the setup from chop shop I'd do that due to you already having the adapter all set up.

But I'll pm you what I build this weekend if you like.

ya dude, i'd be interested to see how you did it! :awesomework:

I'm workin a deal on an NV4500 for my minivan right now :masturbanana[1]: when i parked it my third AX-15 was not loving life :haha:

i have an 86 chevy with the 32 spline 465/208. its on 35's with 4.10's with a mildly rebuilt 350. its my daily driver and an almost perfect setup for what i do with it. drove the rig to north bend and back to pick up some furniture for my aunt and i was able to pull the hills in 4th fine. ive never seen a 465 take a **** outa nowhere either ....

So, rounding up some measurements an NV4500 setup with a np208 tailshaft and my np203 redrilled to match is within 1/2" of my current 700r4 setup. not bad:awesomework: a SM465 setup is off by 3" (shorter) going off measurements on the intrawebs...:eeek:

700r4 (my Setup):
22.375" (or 23.375 i got two measurements, need to confirm) - 700r4 (integrated bellhousing)
1.8" - TH350 spacer to not have to cut my tailshaft
1" - TH350 to NP203 adapter plate

25.175" - Total, length to start of NP203 t-case

NV4500:
5.312" - Bellhousing (could be different not for certain yet)
12.375" -NV4500 main trans. housing
8" - np208 adapter
25.687" - Total, this requires a 32spl input on the np203 and the np203 face to be redrilled to match the np208 tailshaft adapter. Something else to be considered (for me) is the clocking of the np203, i have mine 90* to the pass. side, can this be achieved in the redrill?! I dont know...:corn:

SM465:
6.5" - Bellhousing (need to confirm actual)
12" - SM465 main trans. housing
4.5" - stock SM465 to NP203 adapter
23" - total length to start of np203.

This just get's you back to my np203/205 setup, those measurements are pretty dialed...

Take these measurements at face value as i haven't ACTUALLY measured, but i think it's a start...:awesomework:

Last edited:
I loved my 465 in my old K5 wheelin rig.

I love my 465 in my 91 Chevy tow rig.

Stupid simple. Stupid reliable.

You will also "lose" less horsepower running a manual over the HP robbed by an auto...

I loved my 465 in my old K5 wheelin rig.

I love my 465 in my 91 Chevy tow rig.

Stupid simple. Stupid reliable.

You will also "lose" less horsepower running a manual over the HP robbed by an auto...

that's another thing i'm looking at, that damn slush box robbing ponies! I can't do wicked burnouts any more, just burnout the clutches and bands inside the transmission! :mad: Didn't help that my Hot Rod transmisison guy took and changed my governor/thingy, said it was in my best interest...MY best interest!?! How do you know what MY best interest is!? (sounds like a song :redneck:) made for softer slower shifts, i just was to wrapped up in other things to go complain.:rolleyes:

my blazer has always had a 465 in it, ive had it since 97. i used to daily drive it,and drive it to wheel,tow my trailer to go camping /wheeling.. only issue ive ever had with the 465 is the shifter looseness and that caused it to lock tween 1st and 2nd gears...but it was an easy trail fix..and a little welding after i got it home fixed the shifter..since 2001 its been 465/203/205,ORD first gen doubler,ive had no issues until the last elbe work party...i shattered the 10 spline coupler tween the 203 and 205....oops...my bad...i had the 203 in low and the 205 in hi....:awesomework: the fact is i dont worry about my tranny or cases...i beat the snot out of them and have for years...no worries...there is something to be said for peace of mind..

i'll agree, but other than overdrive, and a slight headache getting it in, what do you really gain?

you run the NV4500 right?

Overdrive is what I wanted at the time as it was a daily driver even with the 6.50:1 R&P and 38 TSL's it worked out to be the perfect combo and it's still in the Jeep today.

about 160:1 crawl ratio and no issues with doing highway speeds.

It was no more a headache than anything else that was built for it.

ya, true, other than initial transmission cost, it looks to be just as easy a swap as the sm465 and it's closer to my starting drivetrain length. :corn: now to find one...:haha:

that's another thing i'm looking at, that damn slush box robbing ponies! I can't do wicked burnouts any more, just burnout the clutches and bands inside the transmission! :mad: Didn't help that my Hot Rod transmisison guy took and changed my governor/thingy, said it was in my best interest...MY best interest!?! How do you know what MY best interest is!? (sounds like a song :redneck:) made for softer slower shifts, i just was to wrapped up in other things to go complain.:rolleyes:

If your trans guy softened up the shift I'd have be looking for another trans guy.. 700's can be built rather well if you do it right and making the shift soft and slow does exactly what yours does, it burns up clutch packs and the band due to slippage. Any perry tech graduated moron knows that.

If your trans guy softened up the shift I'd have be looking for another trans guy.. 700's can be built rather well if you do it right and making the shift soft and slow does exactly what yours does, it burns up clutch packs and the band due to slippage. Any perry tech graduated moron knows that.

ya, i'm not going back to him ever, i dont know the name of the part, it goes under that round cap on the side, it had one out of a camaro ro similar in it, to shift nice and quick and hard, so it took that out,( i think it's a bit sneeky) and put in one out of a suburban, "so it wouldn't be so hard on the tranny" :looser:

1-2 shift servo I think it is... One of the upgrades is to get one out of a high performance car such as a camaro or vette. NOT the other way around. But look at it this way, he got a better part in the trade and you got a piece of **** trans. Sounds like a good deal for him. :eeek: