• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Smittybilt XRC8 8000lb winch

97f250

Smittybilt XRC8 8000lb Electric Winch #97281 any one running this winch is it any good seems like a good deal for the price?

Ask 84toyota4x4 about his... I'm not dogging it, but his did burn up, it is fairly new and i think it's seen a fair amount of abuse.... There is a thread on here about this same winch, do a searchy for the Xc whatever...:awesomework:

84toyota4x4's burnt up huh? Never heard about that one.

Around the same time he got his, I bought 2 of them, one for my rig, and one for my dad's rig. My dads was the first to act up, it's basically the freespool lever will not stay locked unless the winch is under load. If you try to power in or out, with little tension (even pulling on the cable is not enough load usually) it will flip the lever to freespool. Mine just started doing this too last weekend. I haven't had either apart yet, but when I was researching them before I bought them, it seems as though I read something about it, and it was an easy fix. Something like open up the end, flip something around.... I don't remember.

The second problem we had this past weekend, was both controllers failed to power in, but would power out fine. It seems to be in the connection to the winch, not the controller, because with a little fiddling with the plug, we could usually get one to work.

Even with these problems, I can say I am still satisfied with my purchase, they have cause a little frustation, but never left me stranded.

yeah this is a new modelxrc when they fixed that free spool problem i guess and heard that old ones where kinda garbage.. just want some thing in case i get stuck or hung up for a little extra help i something cheap and for 300 bucks they seem pretty good deal...tryed to search xc and ther was no match...

Last edited:
yeah this is a new modelxrc when they fixed that free spool problem i guess and heard that old ones where kinda garbage.. just want some thing in case i get stuck or hung up for a little extra help i something cheap and for 300 bucks they seem pretty good deal...tryed to search xc and ther was no match...

try shittbuilt err... smittybuilt :redneck:

I have a Summit Rebadged T-maxx 9k it's pretty good so far, has pulled a few people out of ditches I have yet to REALLY test it. It pulled a tree out of my parents front yard the first night i got it hooked up, even with my electric fans turned off for a while, not knowing it, it didnt make my motor get super hot super quick and it was lugging the truck down pretty good.:D

The new model is the 5.5 series wound, rather than the older perm magnet ones, and both of mine ARE the new model. Unless there is a newer model yet...:eeek:

me and a few buddies are running this winch, two toyota's and one jeep, haven't had any problems. flopped my yota over twice and both times the winch worked flawlesly

84toyota4x4's burnt up huh? Never heard about that one.

Around the same time he got his, I bought 2 of them, one for my rig, and one for my dad's rig. My dads was the first to act up, it's basically the freespool lever will not stay locked unless the winch is under load. If you try to power in or out, with little tension (even pulling on the cable is not enough load usually) it will flip the lever to freespool. Mine just started doing this too last weekend. I haven't had either apart yet, but when I was researching them before I bought them, it seems as though I read something about it, and it was an easy fix. Something like open up the end, flip something around.... I don't remember.

The second problem we had this past weekend, was both controllers failed to power in, but would power out fine. It seems to be in the connection to the winch, not the controller, because with a little fiddling with the plug, we could usually get one to work.

Even with these problems, I can say I am still satisfied with my purchase, they have cause a little frustation, but never left me stranded.

You never heard about it because it just happened less than a week ago, haha. The only problem other than this Ive had is it wont free spool out easily when its cold out, I have to power it out. I think the grease is just too thick or something? I havent had any problems with the lever engagement except once where it bound up on me and I had to tap it with a rock to get it to go. Never happened again though.

I also cant say that mine "burnt up" yet. My alternator in my truck was dying and it gave out during a 3 hour tug-a-thon with my truck and a 4Runner sliding down an embankment. Needless to say, my battery died, and I stalled out the winch a couple times. I started having problems with it not doing anything when I hit the button on the remote, but some tapping on the solenoid freed it up. Eventually, that stopped working though, and now it sits dead. I pulled the winch off the truck and took it into the shop to take the solenoid apart, but thats as far as I got. I also tore the welds on the stock front crossmember because I was pulling so hard with it. Its seen some abuse for sure. Im COMPLETELY happy with it though. I truly think if the alternator hadnt died, the winch would still be fine right now because I put it through hell before this with ZERO problems. I was running a stock Toyota 45 amp alternator on an Optima red top.

Honestly, depending on the solenoid price, I might just buy a 10K Smittybilt and fix this one. I do have two 4x4s :awesomework:

~T.J.

PS - Here is the link to my "review".
http://www.nw-wheelers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30982

EDIT: Just got off the phone with Smittybilt. They said they will ship me out a new solenoid for it free :awesomework:

Last edited:
I have the first generation XR8. Had to replace the gear box because it would make noises that gears should not make when powering out under a load. I called Smittybit and they shipped a new one out that day. For the price and if you don't do alot of winching I would say it's a good deal. If I wheeled in the "Extreme" zone all the time and depended on a winch to be a work horse then I would go WARN.

got three of them between my dad, brother, and myself. the new 5.5 series wound. i havent had any prob with mine, other than plastic solonoid housing cracking. Dad hardley uses his, but has worked great the couple times he did. my brother has had bad luck.....thing quit working for no reason, but we took it back to 4WP and got a new one for free. Kinda cool cuz he kept the old solonoid and other hardware, so now we have spare parts.
DO NOT buy one without an extended lifetime warranty cuz they ARE junk and will eventually break. (my opinion) with the lifetime warranty though (an extra $30-60 from 4WP) you cant beat them for the price. they do pull good, and if you compare the nitty-gritties, you will see they beat most other brands specs.
FWI i heard 4WP owns smitty now, so i doubt you will find the warranty upgrade option anywhere else??

I to have hered of these posible problems. seen lots of them walking out the stores, but, hardly aone do I see on the trail :scratchhead: Guess yuget watya payfer :redneck: GOOOD LUCK WITH YOURS.

A little update, and something to check. I discovered that the reason the winches weren't powering in, was all in the controller side of the connector. Apparently the sweatshop wasn't whipping the workers hard enough, because the three wires weren't the same length. The red wire (in) was shorter on both controllers, and had been pulled from it's lug. Shortened the other two wires up, and they both work perfectly now. Also on my controller, the black insulation wasn't quite long enough to be secured by the little 3 fingered plastic cone that clamps down to keep from tugging on the connections.

I am still going to wire up some incab controls for mine, so I don't have to rely on the controller wire to hold together.

Smittybilt XRC8 8000lb Electric Winch #97281 any one running this winch is it any good seems like a good deal for the price?

For the $, it's worth it:awesomework: Beats the hell outta not having one at all!!!:D ...a couple people I know run the early version..(Duck Dodgers being one!); He's got the same power in thing going on, and I bet that wire's what's causing it.....

PHP:
For the $, it's worth it Beats the hell outta not having one at all!!! ...a couple people I know run the early version..(Duck Dodgers being one!); He's got the same power in thing going on, and I bet that wire's what's causing it.....

I agree. I am running the xrc8 on my jeep, i have not had any problems yet. My buddy is running the xrc10 and has his longer then ive had mine with no problems.

I think for the price you cant really complain, especially if you price out a warn or something else. Always got us out of whatever mess we were in, so better than nothing. :awesomework:

A little update, and something to check. I discovered that the reason the winches weren't powering in, was all in the controller side of the connector. Apparently the sweatshop wasn't whipping the workers hard enough, because the three wires weren't the same length. The red wire (in) was shorter on both controllers, and had been pulled from it's lug. Shortened the other two wires up, and they both work perfectly now. Also on my controller, the black insulation wasn't quite long enough to be secured by the little 3 fingered plastic cone that clamps down to keep from tugging on the connections.

I am still going to wire up some incab controls for mine, so I don't have to rely on the controller wire to hold together.

Glad you got it handled!

FWIW guys, I stock these winches in Auburn for $300 + tax.

John

Smittybuilt winches?

Why would you buy a winch from a company that built their business on double tube chrome roll bars :eeek:

The same reason you'd buy a Jeep from a company that built their business on the reliant k-car? :fawkdancesmiley:

Had three friends buy that winch last year and only one is still working. they can't get any help from 4Wheel parts or Smitty built. Both had gear-box problems. Buy an old Warn 8274, clean it up, and you'll probably never buy another winch.