• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Snow Wheeling, Tire Chains & Tow Rigs

Money Mark

It's been so long since I've had a 2WD tow rig, I forgot how shitty they do in even light snow/ice. :looser: My new tow rig is a dually with 50x16.5 radials. As most know, if you're going somewhere worth a **** for real snow wheeling, and you want to park even remotely close, you will be "snow wheeling" the tow rig for a short distance. And then probably have to park off the plowed road.......where the snow is deeper and could get you stuck.

Where does everybody get their tire chains for "regular" tires?

Also, where does everybody get their tire chains for "larger" tires? (36" Swamper's) Seen it work before (and work REAL well) and want to try it out in the Yoda.

Any particular fastening system that you like better than another?

Make, model or manufacture preference? Some must work better than others.

Last edited:
And......

If your only response is "go to Les Schwab"......thank you so very much:kiss:......I never would have thought of that.:rolleyes::flipoff:

Or......

If your response is "don't go to Les Schwab"......again, thank you so very much for your input. :kissmyass:

I hate when threads make a wrong turn into a "Schwab discussion". :looser:

Last edited:
For regular tires either:

A: Go to Les Schwab:fawkdancesmiley:

B: Cruise Craigslist, garage sales, etc...

Or

Get em from a cheap online source like this place

For larger tires:

Cut down big truck chains. You can sometimes find em on the side of the road.:haha: Also check craigslist.

For style of chains, the ones with the V-bars are very agressive, and if your going to be doing any pavement/snow driving, I wouldn't recommend them. But, they are good for bad ice conditions. They look like this:
v-barlarge4wor.jpg

Another thing to look at is to get the chains with Cam adjusters like these:
camontire.jpg

Another thing to think about, at least on wheelers is, you generally want to chain the front tires, as it will help ya steer and such.

On my rig, I have a couple extra big truck single chains laying around, so I am going to cut them up so that they fit my 33's. I am going to save the excess, so when I jump up in tire size, I can just get a fix-a-link piece of chain, and add more so they fit.

They are the quickest and easiest chains to get the tension right. Lot less **** to go wrong also, and just in general, beefier. Easy to get on and off quick.

Plus, thats what most big truck chains are, so they are common.:D

Here is a usefull page for tire chain "parts"

For the "chain adjusters," they can be usefull if you are going to use your chains at speed ( ~15-20 mph+) but not necessary for low speeds/wheeler chains.

Now we're getting techy. Nice.:beer:

I would probably want cables, over chains, for the tow rig.....right? It would be nice to be able drive through varying conditions, without having to take them off/on/off.

Last edited:
The best way and cheepest way I found for my wheeler is cut down old semi chains. They are the perfect width for a 12.5 wide tire. And those cam lock tensioners rock! Surf The web, semi supply stores or lots of truck stops will start having them in stock vary soon.:awesomework:

If you wanted to get REAL :bling: $M, you could probably find a set of auto chains that you could outfit to your rig. They look like these:

0728101247.jpg

(Stolen from Dirtygoats Bus Build Thread:fawkdancesmiley:)

I have one extra pair for 33 12.5 right now and once we start trashing some at work I will be making more. And the set on my rig will be for sale too.
nuthing beats throwing iron!!!!!!!!!

Personally I think chains suck. learn how to drive and get prpoer tires, you won't need them. But I do carry chains.
for the tow rig I carry in the truck during the winter
2 set V bar/ cams, this is just for that clear nasty crap
2 set of 1200-20 chains cut down with cams
2 set of cables ( these are to please the state patrol when theey require them on all rigs
I also have a set of grader chains that are cut down

trailers cables

for the wheeler............... never needed them.

I have one extra pair for 33 12.5 right now and once we start trashing some at work I will be making more. And the set on my rig will be for sale too.
nuthing beats throwing iron!!!!!!!!!

I'm interested. We can work something out on the wheels.