• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Snow Wheeling, Tire Chains & Tow Rigs

Stupid question time, brace your self.

If its bad enough will a leo ever expect you to put chains on a four wheel drive or is the road just shut down by then? Ive been over snoQ and stevens many times and just rolled on by the leos since my truck is obviously a 4x4. At any point would they tell me to chain up or just suck it the pass is closed??

If its bad enough will a leo ever expect you to put chains on a four wheel drive or is the road just shut down by then? Ive been over snoQ and stevens many times and just rolled on by the leos since my truck is obviously a 4x4. At any point would they tell me to chain up or just suck it the pass is closed??

I have seen them stop all rigs on stevens and make them chain up at least 4 or 5 times a year
and as low as Goldbar

Sometimes 4wd has to chain also.

winner :stirpot:
It is my experiance that 90 % of chain failure is do to inproper instalation

Chains are built on the 99 rule
99% of the chains will never be used
99% of the chains are installed incorrectly
Chains are designed to last 99 miles

I do believe this but by your calculations 99% of people buying chains don't know the difference between cables, quick fit, cam tension, or by god don't tell them what a v-bar is as they don't know and don't care.

I have noticed a lot of people don't ever try the chains until they need them and then find out that they are the wrong size and run them anyway. I think these are most of your 90% of inproper installation. FYI the last two sets of chains I bought had inproper chains in the packages, i.e. two sizes in each package.

You still need common sense with cables and most people just don't have it. These are the people doing 50mph down the road, with inproper installed cables that have a couple broken cross cables, beating the fu@# out of there fenders.

Man this thread got off track, as the chains needed for where we need to go, with our tow rigs, in the snow, most of the times, requires a stronger better chain.:awesomework:

According to the WSDOT website:

As long as your vehicle is equipped with traction tires, chain installation is generally not required on four-wheel/all-wheel drive vehicles. Under extreme weather conditions, the Washington State Patrol can mandate that all vehicles chain up, including four-wheel/all-wheel drive vehicles. WSDOT posts signs to keep motorists informed of chain requirements.

By the time it gets bad enough for a 4wd to chain up, a semi has jack knifed and wiped out prius and a subaru and the pass will be closed. Carry them to keep the LEO happy. Buy chains w/o any cable on them, bungees to keep them tight and recheck them after a short distance to readjust. It's always easier to put chains on before you need them.

curious..
If one had a subaru, outback.
you cannot install chains on them.. (the one my parents had said in the manual that you cannot put chains on them, its due to a clearance issue with the struts).

can they turn you arround and send you packing?

those things do awesome in adverse weather.

Latest posts