• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Snowmobiling

went up to greenwater yesterday, took the sleds and did a test run up to govt medows and ran down a few side roads, sleds ran well overall, i did find out my speedo dosent work:rolleyes: and my sled has a chirping noise, kinda sounds like a loose belt on an engine:confused: might be the drive belt is worn out, i will have to look into it before i head out riding again

My cousin just bought 3 new sleds, he has 4 now. He crab fish's up in alaska and will let me and my dad take em ridin.

Where is a good first timers place to sled? We know how to ride em, just havnmt been anywhere besides the road when it snows

went up to greenwater yesterday, took the sleds and did a test run up to govt medows and ran down a few side roads, sleds ran well overall, i did find out my speedo dosent work:rolleyes: and my sled has a chirping noise, kinda sounds like a loose belt on an engine:confused: might be the drive belt is worn out, i will have to look into it before i head out riding again

What sled you have? Speedo not working is usually a first sign of drive axle bearing about to let lose depending on what sled you have. Normally a worn belt wont make anymore noise, belt tension to tight or out of alignment can cause it to...

Willie

What sled you have? Speedo not working is usually a first sign of drive axle bearing about to let lose depending on what sled you have. Normally a worn belt wont make anymore noise, belt tension to tight or out of alignment can cause it to...

Willie

sled is a '02 RMK 800, i havnt looked into of the stuff yet, too much work and other crap going on.

iam assuming that the speedo is gear driven and having a bearing roached would cause the gears not to engage, also could that account for the belt being out of allignment(if it is)? if the bearing is allowing the drive pulley to move in ways it shouldnt

correct me if iam completely off the wall, i am not very familiar with sleds:looser::D

What happens is there is a speedo pin, kinda like a speedo cable in a car. When the bearing goes the jack shaft falls down and breaks the pin. Pretty easy to check, there is three nuts holding the bearing/speedo drive just below your secondary clutch. Just take it off to inspect the bearing.

Sunday 1/9/11

163409_182590818428060_100000314301973_481829_3365983_n.jpg

167093_182590848428057_100000314301973_481830_2589732_n.jpg

168831_182590868428055_100000314301973_481831_7524377_n.jpg

164055_182590935094715_100000314301973_481833_2263249_n.jpg

164858_182590958428046_100000314301973_481834_2123733_n.jpg

162706_182590981761377_100000314301973_481835_4809891_n.jpg

168510_182591011761374_100000314301973_481836_2424665_n.jpg

166453_182591035094705_100000314301973_481837_1925788_n.jpg

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKxbbO-nIoE[/YT]

^that place is full of big climbs. riding around the SW side of the mountain has some nice deep ravines to drop into.

was your ultra pulling top rpm through the climbs up there?

was your ultra pulling top rpm through the climbs up there?

Pretty much, I think its geared too low, as I have stock gearing, but a 7 tooth driver to fit the 2.15" track, at lease thats what it feels like to me. Idk?

You can here it bauble a few times too, it doesn't breath well enough sometimes in fine powder and it was getting a bit fat as its jetted for right around 4,000 feet.

A question I had is on the rear suspension, the limit strap, how is the best way to set that for mountain riding, we messed with it a bit, but it didn't change it much I don't think...

Last edited:
:drooling1:

Fawk I gotta come up there and go sleddin, thats my kinda riding:drooling1:

Any other big hill climbs there?

Hehe, no you don't want to ride there, it sucks.:fawkdancesmiley:

There are some HUGE climbs, I'm talking 1000+ feet of verticle elevation gain.

Funny thing was, that video was shot around 1:30 in the afternoon, we didn't even get up there early and rode fresh all day!

But, Baker ain't a place to **** around on. Crevasses, huge drops that appear out of no where, huge climbs, and bad weather can make it a dangerous place. It gets white-ed out easy because your above treeline= no shadows.

Luckly, my guide (my padre) has been riding up there for about 20 years now, so he knows his way around.

Hehe, no you don't want to ride there, it sucks.:fawkdancesmiley:

There are some HUGE climbs, I'm talking 1000+ feet of verticle elevation gain.

Funny thing was, that video was shot around 1:30 in the afternoon, we didn't even get up there early and rode fresh all day!

But, Baker ain't a place to **** around on. Crevasses, huge drops that appear out of no where, huge climbs, and bad weather can make it a dangerous place. It gets white-ed out easy because your above treeline= no shadows.

Luckly, my guide (my padre) has been riding up there for about 20 years now, so he knows his way around.

After I seen those pictures I sent them to my dad and told him we needed to go riding up there. We are just timid to go riding somewhere we have never been because you can get turned around real easy and the mountains are not places to venture off by yourself.

Are there any local guides up there in the area that you know of? we would like to get together with someone who knows the area to show us around possibly.

I don't know anyone personally, and I'm out of state now and my dad's training my brother how to sled.

Maybe call Skagit Valley Polaris and see if they know anyone?

Your best bet would be to come up in the spring, as the weather generally sucks right now, but is a lot better around April-May Sure, you'll be riding spring snow, but its just as fun up there.

I don't know anyone personally, and I'm out of state now and my dad's training my brother how to sled.

Maybe call Skagit Valley Polaris and see if they know anyone?

Your best bet would be to come up in the spring, as the weather generally sucks right now, but is a lot better around April-May Sure, you'll be riding spring snow, but its just as fun up there.

You live in Idaho now???

Pretty much, I think its geared too low, as I have stock gearing, but a 7 tooth driver to fit the 2.15" track, at lease thats what it feels like to me. Idk?

You can here it bauble a few times too, it doesn't breath well enough sometimes in fine powder and it was getting a bit fat as its jetted for right around 4,000 feet.

A question I had is on the rear suspension, the limit strap, how is the best way to set that for mountain riding, we messed with it a bit, but it didn't change it much I don't think...

do you run stock airbox? i ran a small indivudual filters, the stock 96 hood intake is easy plugged. i had great luck with kickass filters. underhood air is warmer, but more consistent, never had a problem w steam. jetted up one size to read same egt temp, which proved better flowing...

front limiter: suck in if you have troubles keeping skis down or ski pressure. let it out if it feels too heavy and hard to steer in the front.

You live in Idaho now???

I go to school at University of Idaho.

do you run stock airbox? i ran a small indivudual filters, the stock 96 hood intake is easy plugged. i had great luck with kickass filters. underhood air is warmer, but more consistent, never had a problem w steam. jetted up one size to read same egt temp, which proved better flowing...

front limiter: suck in if you have troubles keeping skis down or ski pressure. let it out if it feels too heavy and hard to steer in the front.

I run the stock airbox, but I put some of those 2.5" round filters in the top of it, and ditched all the foam, but I still don't think it flows good enough. Next upgrade is pod filters with 90* elbows and maybe a short piece of piping. That should get em right up next to the air intake on the hood.

Yea, I think it was too heavy on the front, I'll try letting them out all the way.

I run the stock airbox, but I put some of those 2.5" round filters in the top of it, and ditched all the foam, but I still don't think it flows good enough. Next upgrade is pod filters with 90* elbows and maybe a short piece of piping. That should get em right up next to the air intake on the hood.

Yea, I think it was too heavy on the front, I'll try letting them out all the way.

i would consider the cone filters over the foam. i heard from several people back in the day who got frustrated with foam pods. i think they hold the moisture in. the kickass ones were made for sleds/wet conditions.
when you pull out the stock airbox, that hood intake becomes an exhaust vent for heat/steam...
i stuck em right on the back of the carbs, and it would run great with powder piled high on the hood. i made a little alum. plate to keep them from rattling on the jackshaft, mainly just at idle.
have fun bro, i miss mine:beer:

Went up to the Stampede snow park on Snoqualmie Pass, there was hardly any snow down near the parking lot but we managed to get a pretty good ride in.

I found a pretty big hill climb & my dads buddy was able to catch a video with my new camera.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PmMQFSWqJg&hd=1[/YT]

The video does not even do justice, the hill is really fawkin steep and the group of guys at the bottom didnt think I was going to make it:flipoff:

Last edited: