• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

So, I got a new tow rig

Gibby1

Did I BREAK that.......
Wasn't shopping for one, but it was pretty. No pics yet, it was dark by the time I got home with it.

2003 F359 Super Duty XLT with the 7.3l power stroke. Only 65K miles on it, VERY clean and and it has a few nice upgrades.
6" Suspension lift and sitting on 37x13.50 Toyo Open country Tires and custom allow rims. Both only 6 months old. Front brakes were replaced and upgraded to some sort of performance setup at the same time.
It's got 3.73 gears and a posi in the rear. 4x4 of course. I think it's a short bed, it's certainly not a full length like my old F250. The video and audio system is fantastic! 2 10" woofers and the amp are behind the rear seat, there's a large rear drop down screen and an in dash screen. The system pumps out some SERIOUS sound!
It's got a SUPERCHIPs programable system already installed as well. It was previously owned but the finance manager at a Ford Dealership so it was maintained at the dealership for the past few years. He had the high pressure oil pump replaced about 6 months ago.

So, I know almost nothing about these rigs other than the 2003 7.3l diesel as the last year of the good motor.

What types of things are known to be weaknesses in these rigs and especially the drivetrain? I want to know what I should keep an eye on.

What types of things are known to be weaknesses in these rigs and especially the drivetrain? I want to know what I should keep an eye on.

This seems like a question you may have wanted to ask prior to buying said vehicle considering all the knowledge of diesels on this board. Nonetheless, congrats on the new rig!

the only thing I can think of off had is the PMR (powder metal rods) are known for breaking. Not sure what the power limit is on them but it seems like a common thing talked about on www.nwforddiesel.com

This seems like a question you may have wanted to ask prior to buying said vehicle considering all the knowledge of diesels on this board. Nonetheless, congrats on the new rig!

Well, from what I'd gathered with my limited diesel knowledge is that the 7.3 motor was a good one. Everyone has their preferences of things they like and don't like about any rig.

This was kind of a rush decision as it was a a good deal on a nice rig for me AND my family. It was such a clean and low mileage truck. What's sad somewhat is that this F35o is the most fuel efficient vehicle that I have other than my wife's Honda Minivan.

I'm selling off my 1990 4runner and the 97 F250 now. The F250 has a newly rebuilt motor and tranny. The tranny had a towing package and the engine was rebuilt with high compression pistons, RV cam and a bigger carb. There both good solid runners but suck up a lot of fuel.

the only thing I can think of off had is the PMR (powder metal rods) are known for breaking. Not sure what the power limit is on them but it seems like a common thing talked about on www.nwforddiesel.com

I don't really plan on doing much to this other than make it run as efficient as I can't see needing more power than this thing has already.

He won't need to worry about the powder rods unless he puts some serious power to them...

Expect to put a set of injectors in around 100K, a couple cam position sensors here and there, and some glow plugs, but that's about it:awesomework: Might want to just buy a cam position sensor and i believe its a 10mm socket and put it in the glove box for when it fails...

the rods are good to 400-450. A good torque converter, valve body, and trans cooler will pay you dividends. The super duty doesnt have any huge glaring weakness. It concerns me the HPOP was replaced, that is not a common failure by any stretch. The front axle has unit bearings that can be expensive to replace when they fail($400ish each if i remember right) Over all sounds like a great truck, congrats.

Here come da pics

Nice and shinney. I'm not used to a truck that shines!
011.jpg

I love the profile with the lift, nice tires and wheels.
012.jpg

013.jpg

Here's the interior with the in dash video screen. The DVD player is in the storage compartment between the seats.
014.jpg

015.jpg

Sitting in the back seat. The screens a little big and close from the back seat. Kinda like sitting in the front row of a movie theater. One thing I don't like about the installation is that the whole thing is sagging because the cardboard like material in the ceiling liner isn't strong enough to hold the weight. I need to find a way around that.
016.jpg

The subwoofers behind the rear seat.
017.jpg

And the amplifier.
018.jpg

The engine compartment is NICE and CLEAN!
020.jpg

Now remember here, I'm new to the diesels... and I don't have a manual for this yet. This looks like a turbo back here behind the transmission dipstick. Is it?
021.jpg

Last shot. 37x13.5 Toyo Open Country tires on 18" alloy rims. Very bling. BUT, they do rub on the front leaf springs a little. I'll adjust the bump stops to prevent the rub. Apparently there are already spacers in there. I think they choose the wrong back spacing, trying to keep the tires under the body.
023.jpg

Last edited:
Nice truck you will like it!

I have had issues with the auto hubs pick up some warn manual lock out hubs and be done with it.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Also if you need calipers get them from a dealer I have had bad hang-up issues with calipers I have tried new and used from <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City><st1:place>NAPA</st1:place></st1:City> schmucks and car quest then i went new from the dealer and they work. Your year and model may use a different style or larger then my F250.<o:p></o:p>
I am not sure on your year but there is a sensor CPS I think which was recalled and you should call a ford dealer and see if yours has need replace.

Last edited:
Go sign up Gibby........ Lots of useful knowledge with plenty of useless to boot.

And yes...That's a spinny thingy back near the dipstick..

I already signed up there and have been poking around. There's a LOT more on there about the 6.0.

Nice truck you will like it!

I have had issues with the auto hubs pick up some warn manual lock out hubs and be done with it.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
Also if you need calipers get them from a dealer I have had bad hang-up issues with calipers I have tried new and used from <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City><st1:place>NAPA</st1:place></st1:City> schmucks and car quest then i went new from the dealer and they work. Your year and model may use a different style or larger then my F250.<o:p></o:p>
I am not sure on your year but there is a sensor CPS I think which was recalled and you should call a ford dealer and see if yours has need replace.

This has manual hubs on it.

The sticker on the front window in the lot said that the front calipers had already been upgraded. I can't recall the manufacturer though.

This has manual hubs on it.

The sticker on the front window in the lot said that the front calipers had already been upgraded. I can't recall the manufacturer though.

From the look in the picture they are the auto/Manual hubs the same as I had the O-ring gets weathered then jams so you can not turn the hub into the lock position and the auto lock stops working the first time they get wet. Not the mention they are like 400 to 500 bones to replace just one side. But if they are working runn'em

I already signed up there and have been poking around. There's a LOT more on there about the 6.0.

That surprises me....Being that around 95% of the guys on there who post are 7.3 liter guys. Are you sure it wasn't just making fun of the 6.0no it's broke again guys?

Likely been done but not necessarily a good thing...They've had some issues with the new ones...almost more so than the ones they replaced.

Last edited:
nice truck congrats. Pick-up a DP mag and a deisel world mag. You will learn alot more ready there add's. Alot of info on the Do's and Don'ts.