• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Something besides Gatlinburg

I noticed a lot of you guys going to Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. Just wanted to say there are more things to do in the area than hole up in a cabin, spend all day in 100* weather at Dollywood, or blow $7,000 at a go-kart track. Knoxville has a lot to offer, the downtown scene is hopping, bring a rig and holler at me, Patrick, Tony, or Charlie for a day ride, or hell, ride with one of us. Yesterday I hiked a little over 8 miles on the Ijams nature trail in South Knox, the marble quarry was one of the top 5 coolest places I have ever been to, and I just found out it was there! We have a semi-pro hockey team that is VERY entertaining to watch, car shows for any taste, and concerts, concerts, conserts at the Bijou and Tennessee Theatres...

Not trying to play county tourism guy here, but going to Gatlinburg is like going to the fair. It's cool for a while, but it is what it is- a tourist trap. Just trying to help y'all out with something besides all the tourist-y crap. Feel free to add if you think of anything else to do, I'm sure I've forgotten something...

Mike u were with me that night we took the k20 that morphed into the s-ton down in the lime quarry weren't you. It was NASTY. Almost couldn't get that **** off. Ahh memories. I don't think I was supposed to be there either lol.

Next time they take a Dollywood trip if y'all are hitting the trails and have a seat let me know. Not wheeling it plum depressing and Chattanooga has a few things for a medium sized town but also tourism is the growing thing down here....

pholmann said:
Mike u were with me that night we took the k20 that morphed into the s-ton down in the lime quarry weren't you. It was NASTY. Almost couldn't get that **** off. Ahh memories. I don't think I was supposed to be there either lol.

Yeah, we went in there at dark-ish, nobody told me there was a 300 foot death drop into the quarry on the right! And if I recall, the Bronco come out of the lime quarry doing a massive wheelie, while we had to make a new trail to get the C-20 out. You would crest over and start wheel hopping in the rear. Had 2- 40mph reverses down the hill! Lol And we didn't see the baddest freakin rock garden down in that same hole! We need to make another trip down there when it snows and the cops can't get to us!

I love holing up in a cabin for a weekend, gettin' blowed out drunk, eatin' good grub, shooting pool and trying not to pass out and drown in the hot tub.... :flipoff1: Going next weekend!

TacomaJD said:
I love holing up in a cabin for a weekend, gettin' blowed out drunk, eatin' good grub, shooting pool and trying not to pass out and drown in the hot tub.... :flipoff1: Going next weekend!
Don't die this weekend.

TacomaJD said:

Holler at me, me and pholmann can prolly meet ya for dinner somewhere.

The whole Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge area sucks-way way too many people and way too much junky tourist crap. We always go to Townsend, TN when we visit the Smokies hiking

We really like the Townsend and Maryville area. Took the mountain bikes this year and wanted to check out the Knoxville wilderness area trails but the weather just didn't allow it.

pholmann said:
Go check out ijams nature center. It's pretty cool.

dragr1 said:
We really like the Townsend and Maryville area. Took the mountain bikes this year and wanted to check out the Knoxville wilderness area trails but the weather just didn't allow it.

That's what he was referring to. That's where those pics are from.

And the reason I posted this thread is because I spent ALL DAMN DAY in Gatlinburg on Saturday, and it IN NO WAY represents what our area is all about. It is a bunch of street carnies and peddlers, and a bunch of stereotypical hillbilly **** that a bunch of yankee investors dreamed up about us. It made me sick to go into Sugarland Shine and see that they were peddling 40 proof bitch liquor, to see all the garbage furniture and gizmos made out of sticks being sold in idiotic shops. You want to feel the spirit of the area, go to Gay St in Knoxville, and if you want the old timey action, go to Walland, Townsend, or Wears Valley. If you want your young kids/grandkids to have an action packed touristy day, go to Gatlinburg or PF.

Going to the chapel also? ;D;D had to say it before someone else did

5BrothersFabrication said:
Holler at me, me and pholmann can prolly meet ya for dinner somewhere.

When I say holing up in a cabin, like we literally don't leave the cabin molaugh We all check in Friday, 2 people go to the nearest grocery store and buy a couple hunert dollars worth of food, and we cook, drank, shoot pool, relax in hot tub, and just lounge around the whole weekend. A weekend of having no agenda, to take a load off, no worries, no nothing, but getting away from any and all suck that normal busy life brings.

Re:

So is Windrock like right around Knoxville? I would like to haul the jeep somewhere I haven't been this year and that's definately on the list. Seems like there's always dudes riding down there so I could find me a "tour guide" which I hear is handy as **** there. My Grandpa and some other members of my family are originally from Knoxville so it's definately a place I'd like to check out.