• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Southern Four Wheel Drive Association - SFWDA.org

majic2001

What is the SFWDA?
We're the Southern Four Wheel Drive Association, a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting 4WD recreation, responsible land usage, conservation, and education. SFWDA is an association of 4WD clubs located in the southeastern United States (Alabama, Georgia, Kentucky, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee).

SFWDA is a full member of United Four Wheel Drive Associations, a charter member of Tread Lightly!, and a member of the Blue Ribbon Coalition.

How long has the SFWDA existed?
SFWDA was formed in 1987 to unite four wheel drive enthusiasts and clubs under one regional organization.

Who is a Member?
SFWDA is made up of local "Member Clubs" of any number of vehicles and membership usually includes the entire family. There are "Associate Members" – businesses and other organizations who share the common interest in the promotion and sustaining of good 4 wheel drive practices. Also, there are "Individual Members" – those persons who wish to join 4 wheeling recreation without belonging to a club. Most members belong to the association by being a member of one or more of the Member Clubs.

What is the structure of the SFWDA?
TheSFWDA consists of the President, Vice-President, Recording Secretary, Treasurer, Director of Membership, Director of Legislative Affairs, Director of Conservation and Land Management, and Director of Public Relations who are elected by the SFWDA membership. In addition, there are additional volunteer posts such as the Trail Mix newsletter Editor and land use personnel. All officers and committee members are unpaid volunteers. The officers run the day-to-day activities of the association. The Member Clubs are the primary policy and decision making body of the association.

What about meetings and events?
Business meetings are held quarterly on a Saturday, usually in conjunction with trail rides. Meetings are hosted by a member club and the location is determined by the member club. All members and visitors are invited to business meetings and trail rides. Going to the quarterly meetings is a great way to make new acquaintenances and learn about new trails. Our Dixie Run is held in Murphy, NC with trail rides in the famous Upper Tellico ORV Area each year on the first weekend in October. This is our main fund raising and membership drive event of the year, with hundreds of attendees. Besides trail rides, we have manufacturer reps, dealer booths, games, dinner, contests, raffle, and trophies. A registration fee is required for this event and it is open to anyone with a capable 4WD vehicle. Our annual Summer Convention is held in conjunction with the 2nd Quarterly Meeting every June. The event is located in different areas each year depending on which Club is hosting it. There are Trail rides with games, dinner, door prizes and awards on Saturday night. A registration fee is required for this event and it is open only to members and their guests.

What has the association accomplished?
The association has gained recognition and respect of state and federal agencies. Lands have been kept open for vehicle use and favorable rules and decisions have been made regarding the administration of these areas. The association has actively opened new trails and deterred many unwanted and unjustified land closures.

What are the programs offered?
Conservation Projects are executed throughout the entire year at club and state levels. The purpose is to respect and protect our valuable resources. This is accomplished in part by a close cooperation with the U.S. Forest Service (USFS). The SFWDA and the associated clubs contribute thousands of man-hours each year on projects with the USFS through the Challenge Cost Share program. Through the Adopt-A-Trail program, clubs adopt one or more trails and help the Forest Service with maintenance throughout the year. Each of these projects encompass working with land use agencies regarding conservation in our states and helping in identifying unsafe roads which should be closed as well as informing those organizations of which roads we would like to remain open.
4WD Awareness Program – A strong emphasis is placed upon the provision of guidance to all 4 wheelers to help ensure safe and courteous driving and proper vehicle use off-highway. The SFWDA under the United Four Wheel Drive Associations has a 4WD Awareness education program which is held on a regular basis for novice drivers. The 4WD Awareness program intends to educate the 4×4 owner about general off-highway techniques and courtesies related to 4 wheeling and more specific skills related to driving skills, elementary vehicle mechanics, recovery techniques, and recommended equipment to carry on trips. This not only encompasses 4 wheel drive safety, but also emphasizes environmental concerns and the "Tread Lightly" philosophy. In addition, members of the SFWDA are sensitized to the environmental concerns of today, passing that knowledge onto others as we observe their off-highway habits.
Fellowship – The promotion of friendly activity among people who share common interests of vehicle oriented family recreation is of prime importance to the SFWDA. Four wheeling is a sport that is enjoyed by all people of all ages and walks of life

For more information about SFWDA please check us out on Facebook or on our website at Southern Four Wheel Drive Association - Conservation | Education | Recreation

SWFDA.org

Help SFWDA choose their new association logo. We have narrowed the 190 entries down to 6 final designers based on lots of feedback and our original poll. Now these leading designers tweaked their entries accordingly, please check them out and submit your feedback. Remember that we're looking for your favorite designer here. We can still work with the final winning designer to make it perfect after selecting the winning designer. Thanks for all your feedback and be sure to spread the word to anyone who would like to be involved in what we represent.

http://99designs.com/logo-design/vote-s2ac0f

Re: Re: Southern Four Wheel Drive Association - SFWDA.org

I think you need to rewrite some of this. Dixie Run has not been in Tellico for more than a few years now.

majic2001 said:
What has the association accomplished?
The association has gained recognition and respect of state and federal agencies. Lands have been kept open for vehicle use and favorable rules and decisions have been made regarding the administration of these areas. The association has actively opened new trails and deterred many unwanted and unjustified land closures.

What trails have sfwda successfully kept open and what new ones has sfwda opened in the last 5yrs?

Sfwda is a freakin joke. What has the club auctually done lately?? Tellico can automatically be thrown out because it was dooned from the start bein national forest. I hate to be a **** about this but sfwda is only heard of twice a year... dixie run an trail fest, other wise there totally off the map.

I am a Member of SFWDA and UFWDA. Their dues are very reasonable. They are run by volunteers. If you think they are not doing a good job, sign up, run for office, and improve it from the inside. Don't just sit on the sidelines and bitch. Get involved.

We now have a new webmaster, looking at changing the logo. There appears to be some new enthusism from within.

I think there new logo should be SAVE TELLICO SAVE TELLICO SAVETELLICO SAVE TELLICO SAVE TELLICO SAVE TELLICO SAVE TELLICO SAVE TELLICO SAVE TELLICO SAVE TELLICO SAVE TELLICO SAVE TELLICO SAVE TELLICO

I thought a new logo was voted in last year at the meeting in Tracy City,What happened to that??

I voted glad to hear new membership is taking root and changing things. How much is membership a year? Also why dont they team up with forums?

Hope they change things I want my off spring to enjoy the trails too!

I just want to know WHERE my money is going? I was once a member of the SCCA(Sports Car Club of America) for appx. 3 years, and after 300+ dollars spent on membership.....I saw no results from my contribution other than 10$ off an entry fee for a race. It was the equivalent of a Food Store tag on your key ring.

When I hit the trails, I obviously don't thrown my crap on the ground....and no one in my group dare does either. We pack out what we bring in. I've also pulled out multiple GARBAGE BAGS full of trash/debris with me when a breakage occurs and all you can do is gravel road/trail ride. I've cleared downed trees, moved rocks...yadda yadda....why should I pay a group for this when I/we are perfectly capable of doing this and more on our own?

I don't need to pay someone for the work i'm currently doing. I'm not saying the SFWDA isn't a significant name in the offroad community, but honestly the only times I hear their name being mentioned is when current SFWDA members are wanting me/us to join! Myself, and a few others have probably cut more trails at our local spot than they have....I have no data to back that up, but i've never seen them in force on that issue. Keyword...SEEN.

I'm not soapboxing....i'm just wanting to know what my money does and when/where can I see the results of that?

Its scary, actually....it reminds of these...

pyramid-scheme-2.gif

Re:

As long as it isn't a bash and stay on topic thread, I don't see the problem. Post the financials and discuss. Or be 13 year olds and get it locked.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Start another organization that doesn't use the money incorrectly? I realize that's a lot of work. But seriously, look at the forms, they're "renting land" for $23k a year. The numbers don't add up if you sit down and really do the math. Bringing in almost 100k a year. But member fees collected are only a couple hundred. Where is all the money for the 2500 paying member going? Cause it sure as heck isn't on their tax forms.

I will agree the financials are quite vague. "Other expenses" are in excess of 160k in the last three years. ('13 thru '15 anyhow)

Latest posts