• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Stephen Broady's "An Actual Trail Rig" build

wizzo

Curious why you dumped the ORI’s for coil overs? I have heard good things about the ORI shocks but have no experience with them.
ORI's have their place. Just not on this buggy. A properly tuned coil-over shock will work much better. I see too many rigs similar to this one that still have to run bumps and sway bars. So now, all the money you "saved" is out the window and you have a product that's limited on tunability.

I was serious about the heatshrink. That's what Trophy Truck guys do.
I've done the heat shrink on worm gear clamps before. It keeps them from scratching paint, powder, aluminum, cutting into a rubber line, etc. and helps them look less like ****.

94xjsport94

I wish I knew more
How important is a slip in the short/ intermediate shaft driveshaft? Looking at doing a different carrier bearing than my WOD kit I have.

Beerj

Sonzabitches!
How important is a slip in the short/ intermediate shaft driveshaft? Looking at doing a different carrier bearing than my WOD kit I have.
My intermediate shaft is solid. Been running it for 4 years now with a WOD carrier bearing, no issues. Everything solid mounted. I think as long as you're shaft is as straight as possible, and all of your mounts are strong, it should be fine to skip the slip.

redneckengineered

Trailer Park Panty Dropper

I personally think it is important. I know WOD builds their rigs with no slip in the mid shaft because they solid mount everything but here's how I see it. No matter how solid your mounts are you will still likely get shock movement at that shaft and if you do, your carrier bearing will be taking it. They're not designed to take forces like that. It will probably be fine (depending on how hard you wheel) for awhile but it will eventually wear out prematurely. I have a slip in my mid-shaft and when Chris rebuilt my buggy last year we could see no reason not to reuse the carrier bearing. So it has been going strong now for 10 years. I pretty much attribute that to the slip in the mid-shaft.

Primary

HardlineCrawlers Assistant
Here are some related products that HardlineCrawlers members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to HardlineCrawlers’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to HardlineCrawlers discussions about these products.