• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Straps or chains?

I've been behind too many rigs that had the straps or chains going to the body you watch it go over a pothole and the suspension compresses and puts much unneccessary stress on tiedowns. In don't like being on the roads with these vehicles you can watch it move on the trailer, kinda eerie waiting for something to come loose. Always tie it down tight, to the axles.

If your vehicle has too much movement on the trailer maybe you should put blocks between the frame and body and strap it down.

Also using your winch is not ment to tie down your vehicle and with the suspension bounce will ruin your brake on the winch, yes I have seen this happen

The straps vs chain, as long as the strap or chain is used properly and of proper weight capacity there is nothing wrong with either one. I prefer straps with covers for attaching to the axles, I use 4 of 3,500 lb WORKING load rating. I only use straps because chain wears away at steel over time.

I've used both chains and straps and never had a problem in two barrel roll accidents with two different loads and two different trailers. But, those two accidents were on open deck trailers using chains and binders one with a rig in tow, one with an excavator on board. In my enclosed trailer I use rachet straps that hook into the floor tie downs and axle hooks from a tow truck outfitter, Nelson Truck in Kent. Always tie the axles down so the suspension is not in play, never had a load move more than 3" even in a violent roll-over, not bad. :awesomework:

Last edited:
WOW! This thread answered all my questions about securing my Jeep. Thank you all who contributed.

Here is a short cautionary tale about straps.

A Friend of mine was driving from Spokane to Palmer when his NV 4500 failed at Marsh Lake YT. I got the rescue call. I had just purchased four new 2 inch straps so I loaded up the tow rig and started to twelve hour one way trip. I got to Marsh Lake, we spent

i use straps. but i also puts a caff(sp) protector for those sharp edges. mine have no cuts in them and trust them everytime

i use straps. but i also puts a caff(sp) protector for those sharp edges. mine have no cuts in them and trust them everytime
Same here.

I've had mine for quite a few years now (Beck's, but Mac's are the same thing).

The abrasion sleeves are a good thing, but paying attention to how they are used is just as important.

For equipment, I almost always use chains, for cars/trucks ect, I almost always use straps. Just depends on the load and the tie points.
________
Generation mp5a5 heavy airsoft loaded

Last edited:
If your vehicle has too much movement on the trailer maybe you should put blocks between the frame and body and strap it down.

I prefer straps with covers for attaching to the axles, I use 4 of 3,500 lb WORKING load rating. I only use straps because chain wears away at steel over time.

so is that how i should tackle my problem of my jeeps wiggle & jiggle on the trailer when tied down at all 4 axles with 4 3500lb straps straps? blocking? you'll have to demonstrate for me!

so is that how i should tackle my problem of my jeeps wiggle & jiggle on the trailer when tied down at all 4 axles with 4 3500lb straps straps? blocking? you'll have to demonstrate for me!

You don't, you just let it move with the axles tied down. I don't have too much problem with mine and my suspension is pretty soft. Obviously I'm not driving my tow rig and trailer like a race car around corners, but I haven't found a situation where the body sway of the jeep on the trailer was noticeable or made me uncomfortable. As long as the Jeep is secured down tight by the axles, I know it's not going anywhere. I just remember what I'm doing (towing a large rig behind a large truck), and stay alert.

Where are you guys getting your abrasian guards for the axle straps, are you buying them premade from beck's or mac's or erickson's or are you using something else? I thought maybe a short chunk of fire hose would work good if it was a decent fit.

If is wiggling that much you need swaybars on the jeep :cool:

You don't, you just let it move with the axles tied down. I don't have too much problem with mine and my suspension is pretty soft. Obviously I'm not driving my tow rig and trailer like a race car around corners, but I haven't found a situation where the body sway of the jeep on the trailer was noticeable or made me uncomfortable. As long as the Jeep is secured down tight by the axles, I know it's not going anywhere. I just remember what I'm doing (towing a large rig behind a large truck), and stay alert.

X2

Never had enough rig bounce to cause a scare.

Where are you guys getting your abrasian guards for the axle straps, are you buying them premade from beck's or mac's or erickson's or are you using something else? I thought maybe a short chunk of fire hose would work good if it was a decent fit.

mine came with them, since they are the 'combo' strap/axle straps. But I believe a chunk of fire hose would be MORE than adequate.... that **** is tough.

Beck and/or Mac's may sell it separate as well... never looked.
________
Vaporizer affiliates

Last edited:

I have some pretty good body sway when I anchor to the axle, if I anchor to my tow hooks and really reef on the strap, I am able to minimize sway for short towing distances. My straps came with guards.

If is wiggling that much you need swaybars on the jeep :cool:

eeuurrggh! swaybars came off a long time ago, no clue where those are....:booo:

I have macs and never had a problem with them. For equipment I prefer to use chains and binders though.

My Jimmy is tall and has an 8" super soft lift with no sway bar and it moves on big bumps but never enough to make me worry about it. But i tie to the axle in the rear and the frame in the front only because there is not enough room between the axle and the front hooks to tie it down safely.

MAC #1 :awesomework:

Just never tow with a 1/2 ton. I know of 3 people that have ended up rolling down the freeway this way.

i use 2 straps and a chain on the back and 2 straps on the front and the winch rope hooked to the trailer with no tension on it just in case:awesomework: