• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Straps or chains?

So you think a head on with chains on your trailer/rig will hold at hwy speeds or in the Safeway parking lot?
I think they have a better chance than a strap would, I have busted hundreds of straps over the years pulling rigs out, but I have never busted a chain. :D

I think they have a better chance than a strap would, I have busted hundreds of straps over the years pulling rigs out, but I have never busted a chain. :D

You have used chains to pull people out?

I would never do that...it's like using winch cable rather than rope.

The 10,000 rating is NOT a working load. a 4700lb chain is stronger. I believe the 2" straps working load is around 2500-3000lbs.
I use grade 70 (which is transport chain) and the working load is 6600 lbs. :awesomework: I don't know what the regs are for vehicles, but I have to use 3/8" minimum when hauling my equipment.

You have used chains to pull people out?

I would never do that...it's like using winch cable rather than rope.

When we do our yearly event, I run an excavator to haul people out of the mud bog, hundreds of people, last year I went through five or ten straps before I finally started using the chain, and it never broke, and we had two pits, and were pulling a rigs out all day long, I would say two to three hundred rigs.

When we do our yearly event, I run an excavator to haul people out of the mud bog, hundreds of people, last year I went through five or ten straps before I finally started using the chain, and it never broke, and we had two pits, and were pulling a rigs out all day long, I would say two to three hundred rigs.

I've always just seen the idiots using chains to pull people out...the treat them like tug straps and take a run at it and POW...**** goes flying everywhere :redneck:

I've always just seen the idiots using chains to pull people out...the treat them like tug straps and take a run at it and POW...**** goes flying everywhere :redneck:

should see when a chain breaks and recoils---there were link marks across the license plate and up the tailgate

should see when a chain breaks and recoils---there were link marks across the license plate and up the tailgate

What's even scarier is two stretching "recovery" straps hooked together with a clevis... talk about flying projectile if one of the straps breaks. Or the tow ropes they make with hooks on each end and sell at Autozone... people using them as recovery straps... yikes.

Chain must be stronger, I was driving behind a flatbed with a backhoe and it was held down with chain. You dont see too much heavy equipment tied down with straps.

Chain must be stronger, I was driving behind a flatbed with a backhoe and it was held down with chain. You dont see too much heavy equipment tied down with straps.

When I had a piece of my equipment that weighed 15000lbs moved to my new shop they used straps. :stirpot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco

When I had a piece of my equipment that weighed 15000lbs moved to my new shop they used straps.

Was the equipment on wheels? Draw me a hotdog demonstration. What is the tensile strength of marshmallow between graham crackers? :kissmyass:

I use 4 straps right now and leave my winch cable hooked up after loading into the trailer.

So is it better to hook to the axles or the frame? I currently hook to the frame with the straps crossed over each other in an X

I use 4 straps right now and leave my winch cable hooked up after loading into the trailer.

So is it better to hook to the axles or the frame? I currently hook to the frame with the straps crossed over each other in an X
Uh yippee... the chains vs straps debate..
and now you've added the axles vs frame argument :beatdeadhorse: :D

From all the threads I've read on this... the answer I have come to is.....

I think if you're in a head-on collision while towing your rig on the trailer, you're gonna be in a world of hurt whether you used chains OR straps to tie down the rig. Go with what makes you comfortable and follow applicable safety practices and load ratings for either tie-down method and then drive defensively and hope for the best. :;

just what Matt said. For *our* applications (cars and or trailrigs) either proper straps or proper chains and binders are more than sufficient to safely secure and hold in most but the most extreme situations. Same with to the axles or the frame. It comes down to what you feel the most comfortable with.

*I* like my straps on all 4-corners, crossed in the front (because I always have) to the axles. It has always been secure enough for me and I've never had and issue unless I cut corners.

I am considering switching to chains with axle hooks, or pre-set straps with axle hooks in the back just to save hook up time.

Many folks strap to the frame with no problems, I don't like how the bounce in the suspension loads and unloads your binding method, and if you don't have positive locking attachments, there is a chance of it coming unhooked. (even if you since the truck down to the bump stops, there is still a degree of bounce, and it can't be good for the suspension). *I* feel the axles are a much more secure place, but if you want to strap to the frame, go for it if your comfortable.
________
CHEAP VAPIR VAPORIZERS

Last edited:
I wouldn't do anything other than hooking to the axles... It's solid. Suspension bounces way too much to hook to frame IMO.

Latest posts