• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Straps or chains?

Two 20' chains, 4 binders, to the axles on trucks. For cars, I prefer straps. Easier to find places to hook straps to, than to find places to wrap a chain around on a car.

I am pleased to report that with the information I found on this website and the confidence it provided in selecting proper tie-down products, I towed my Jeep over Snoqualmie pass and up to (almost) the top of Manastash ridge using 4 heavy duty ratchet straps with 4 axle straps. Worked out really well. The Jeep hardly moved at all even over all those annoying washboard sections on FS3330. Pics below:

JeepTow3.jpg

JeepTow2.jpg

JeepTow1.jpg

And one pic of the Jeep just up from the entrance of 311 Shoestring trail. Man, there are some tight sections on that trail even for a CJ5. Granted, I'm pretty tall and my turning radius with 38's isn't too amazing. AND, I'm glad I went from East to West (ended up at the riders camp, I think). There was one loose, off camber climb that would have been a bit nerve-wracking to descend.

Jeep13.jpg

All in all it was a great weekend. I love the area and wish I could have wheeled more but it was only my Jeep up there and I didn't want to push the envelope. Trails completed: Wells Meadow up to Quartz mtn peak, Frost Mtn Lookout and the Shoestring.

yeah, I didn't really understand when or how they worked, but I gather they were not being applied when the truck brakes were. after coming down from the top of Manastash ridge, the truck brakes did not like me much even though I was in 1st gear and trying to keep off them as much as possible.

I had to turn that quite a few times. kept loosening up (assuming you're referring to the square knob that when rotated tightens the hitch assembly to hitch ball)

Yeah they didn't tell me anything about that and lost the trailer and rig going down too do the shore potral cleanup one year save it but ****ed up the rear end of my motorhome:mad: ****en assholes!!

I use both chain and straps. I have a header bar that I run the ft bumper up on and chain it to it. Then use a strap to remove all the slop from the chain. Don't even really need anything on the rear, but use a single strap to pull the suspension down tight just to eliminate any movement. Stays rock solid on the trailer even at 90mph.

I ended up going with 4 Macs straps, so far i like them first time using them the rears came loose, i dunno if itwas because they stretched or i just didnt have them tight enough. But all in all so far:awesomework:

I ended up going with 4 Macs straps, so far i like them first time using them the rears came loose, i dunno if itwas because they stretched or i just didnt have them tight enough. But all in all so far:awesomework:

Nuzzy said his stretched a bit on the first use and came a little loose. I'm sure they recommend to pull over and check them someway into the first trip with 'em, cause they do stretch a bit.