• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Stupid I know.. .but I have a phobia of Electricity....

P

If its free, its P
I need to wire my welder up in the new house. I cant stand it anymore...

I have no idea how this is done properly into the fuse box because ... well Ive never wired anything into a home before cus Im scared of the monster in the wire ! laughing1

I need to put a breaker in and all that, but how do you know were to put it to get the 220 and all that sorta thing. Im completely blind in this arena. Always had someone else do it .

I need a 220 Welder Install for Dummies book :popcorn:

P said:
I need to wire my welder up in the new house. I cant stand it anymore...

I have no idea how this is done properly into the fuse box because ... well Ive never wired anything into a home before cus Im scared of the monster in the wire ! laughing1

I need to put a breaker in and all that, but how do you know were to put it to get the 220 and all that sorta thing. Im completely blind in this arena. Always had someone else do it .

I need a 220 Welder Install for Dummies book :popcorn:
I've done this sort of thing lots of times. Home depot will sell everything you need. How far will the outlet be from the breaker and what kind of welder is it? (make and model please)

Edit: Are you running the wire behind a wall or in conduit on the surface?

Home Depot has a plug for your welder, same one I have in my basement. You will also have an empty 220v breaker in the box that you can attach to. I have never done it, but I know those are two key ingredients..

Ive got the wiring, the receptacles and stuff from the old garage... ( Im not scared when the electricity is shut off... laughing1 )

My thing was more how do I know were to put a breaker in the box ? Are they labeled , will it say 220V or something like that ?

u need to post a craigslist help wanted ad...

"I got a thurty of keystuns and all the parts, hook up my welder and we'll drain the dirty thirty"

What the DV8 sad, the 220v breaker is twice the size of a 110. Two open slots or a lot of times in new houses they will give you a spare 220v ready to be wired into. It will look the same as your dryer and ac breakers. Our pump for the pool is 220v also.

P said:
Ive got the wiring, the receptacles and stuff from the old garage... ( Im not scared when the electricity is shut off... laughing1 )

My thing was more how do I know were to put a breaker in the box ? Are they labeled , will it say 220V or something like that ?
As mentioned above, it takes two spots. Just wire it up and the last step is to snap it in the panel. I typically look at the load on each bar and try to keep it balanced. If something like the AC is on one side then I'll stick other heavy hitters like an electric stove or welder on the other side. You don't really have to do that though.

It's hard to screw up snapping in a breaker, you'll be fine.

If you need some help just holla. I do not have much going on this week and I could run up after work and help you out. Biggest thing is the amp rating on the breaker and the brand (certain brands for certain electrical panels) Also the size of the wire has to be sized for the breaker.

Basically material wise all I need is a breaker that will fit the box in the house. Ill get it sorted out you guys pretty much answered the Electricity for Dummies questions I had.

Thanks ,

Ill probably try to do it tommorow evening since tonight is the club "meating" :flipoff1:

I wired both my welder and plasma cutter with dryer plugs. Then wired the barn with two dryer plugs. The advantage is I can take either piece of equipment to anothers house and plug into their dryer outlet with my extension cord. If you are not comfortable doing it yourself. Mark reeve (Yellow CJ7) is an electrician, he wired my barn for me. I can call him for you or give you his number. Or TK can two way him from the meeting and put you two together.

'Preciate the offer but I think I got it figured out in my mind now. I know its straight forward but I didnt realize they just doubled up the CB's to get the 220.. like I said, I dont fool around the 'tricity

I've never messed around in a breaker box so I wasnt sure what to look for or if there were certain slots for 220 or what... laughing1

You don't seem to want any more help but I can't resist myself. For a 50 amp breaker you probably want 6 or 8 gauge wire. I've never seen romex in that size but FYI, don't run romex inside of conduit.

i dont even know what Romex is.... :eek:

I took a length of "wire" from my old garage and the receptacle for my welder from there as well... I was going to wire it in and be done basically... I know I have to find out what kinda breaker I need and get one of those for it but "parts" wise i was going to just use the stuff I had at the old garage.

( my wifes father in law wired the garage when we moved in there it had no power to it at all.... ) Matter of fact, the funny thing is, there was a secton of "spliced" in wire to make an extension cord of sorts from the receptacle he had put on the wall.. I took that receptacle and the splice and 2nd receptacle So parts wise i have to receptacles that work for my welder and a pretty good run of wire. I dont know what it is guage wise or anything...

Latest posts