• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Super 8.8 Kit?

KarlVP

Love that TOYOTA
Anyone have an opinion on this kit? I just read the article in the fresh Petersen's 4WOR that I just got.

It seems like a good idea, but the amount of abuse I have thrown at my "stock" 8.8 in my TJ, I just don't know if it is worth it. I don't plan on running taller than 36 inch tires, and that is why I built the 8.8 in the first place.

I would really like to see this kit installed and in use. Quick!!! someone buy one and beat the crap out of it. This way I can see if I really want one.

Last edited:
I haven't read the article... yet...

But I will say... You will break a stock 8.8 carrier before you break a stock 31 spline axle in one. I'll have to pick up the mag in the AM and see what they got.

I would guess your going to break the front end again before you brake your 8.8 I mean you never managed to break the Dana 35, (amazingly) yet how many Dana 30s have you gone through? If it was me, I would see about getting that Dana 44 you want first, and then worry about the rear.

I have beat the piss out of the 8.8 with 35 MTR tires for 1 1/2 years and now I have been running 38.5" TSL all summer with no issues (will no issues with the 8.8).

Toyotanut said:
LRZ may know something about this......
Nope, new one to me.

However, I'm not sure I see the point of it if you run an 8.8 in a Heep. In an Exploder yes, because I see a lot of those overtowing. But I only know of a few cases where someone's grenaded an aftermarket carrier in an 8.8, usually in F-150's.

the kit is designed to eliminate the c-clips and widen the axle to match the newer Jeep wms. It uses a spacer that is a press fit into the housing and looks like an a-20 bearing, with longer axles. Moves the brakes out with it.

looks real easy to install and you can order the axles with the bigger bolt pattern if you wish to.

I'm running a 8.8 with 35"s. I'm not worried about breaking it. Plus for the price of the kit I could get a rear 60.

The WMS is an easy fix.

Take a 1.5" spacer, put it on the passenger side. Then recenter your axle. Guess what?? It aligns your pinion with your T-case too. So you dont have 2 angles to be worried about.

KarlVP said:
boxboy said:
GaryTJ said:
widen the axle to match the newer Jeep wms.

The explorer WMS is 1.5 inches shorter than the TJ. So you are loing 5/8 of an inch of WMS each side.

Yes but running a little narrower in the rear can help your turning radius... but it's only 5/8's on an inch :;

boxboy said:
I have beat the piss out of the 8.8 with 35 MTR tires for 1 1/2 years and now I have been running 38.5" TSL all summer with no issues (will no issues with the 8.8).
38s break 8.8s under F-150s. I'd say you're getting close to it's limits under a lighter jeep.