• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

synthetic rope knot

SUPAFLY

So I cut my winch line somehow about 6 feet from the end and don't know how to splice the **** together. I re-ran it through the thimble and tied the knot like a noose with about three wraps. What do you think about this method? It seems to be holding when I reel it in attached to the stinger. I guess I'll try it out a few times before I go relying on it to winch me up a cliff.:beer:

So I cut my winch line somehow about 6 feet from the end and don't know how to splice the **** together. I re-ran it through the thimble and tied the knot like a noose with about three wraps. What do you think about this method? It seems to be holding when I reel it in attached to the stinger. I guess I'll try it out a few times before I go relying on it to winch me up a cliff.:beer:

Search pirate and you can find directions on how it's done.

sounds like a crap knot. Learn to splice it. The stuff is fairly easy to splice. The best knots only maintain about 70 percent of the breaking strength at the most. Most knots are down around 50 to 60 percent of the breaking strength. From what I can tell it sounds like a knot at about 60 percent of the breaking strength.

sounds like a crap knot. Learn to splice it. The stuff is fairly easy to splice. The best knots only maintain about 70 percent of the breaking strength at the most. Most knots are down around 50 to 60 percent of the breaking strength. From what I can tell it sounds like a knot at about 60 percent of the breaking strength.

So if my line is rated for 17,600 lbs, and my knot was to hold 60% of that, I would still be rated for 10,560 lbs. That makes it stronger than the steel cable it came with..........hypothetically of course!

So if my line is rated for 17,600 lbs, and my knot was to hold 60% of that, I would still be rated for 10,560 lbs. That makes it stronger than the steel cable it came with..........hypothetically of course!

That sounds about right, the other thing to remember is synthetic rope is slick. Most knots will creap if not tied correctly, Make sure to check it often.

Just remember if it breaks its your problem, be carefull and make sure if it breaks nobody gets hurt by a vehical rolling out of control.

And yes all numbers are hypotheticall. Talk to master pull

If the rig is ever in Everett or Ballard let me know, I can resplice the thimble the right way, takes less than a minute to do it right.