• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tent-Camping Harlan

patooyee

I've only ever rode the trails at Harlan long enough to get to obstacles in a buggy. I understand that there are miles and miles of easier trails for mild ATV's to ride and just sight-see though. Is that true? Are there areas to camp along the way where people won't be buzzing by all night in trucks, buggies, and ATV's? Could one spend an entire weekend just driving, camping, relaxing, and enjoying the sights if they aren't into the obstacles so much?

I envision loading the Ranger up with food, drinks, and camping gear and leaving the truck and trailer behind for the entire weekend. So you think that it's not only possible but would be worth doing?

I say "Yes". I've ridden Black Mountain on ATVs, a couple Yotas and a buggy. :driving:
Just pack some bear repellent! Lol :****:

johneddie said:
I say "Yes". I've ridden Black Mountain on ATVs, a couple Yotas and a buggy. :driving:
Just pack some bear repellent! Lol :****:

X2 definitely on a sxs, bring fuel, there's plenty of riding

poolman said:
X2 definitely on a sxs, bring fuel, there's plenty of riding

That's great to hear! Like how much fuel are we talking? :)

And are there definitive spots to camp, as in destinations to set a daily goal for? Or just pitch a tent anywhere you like the nook or cranny?

And are there specific points I shouldn't miss / should make tracks for?

Re:

JJ there is a great camp area with a killer over look going up from the Evarts side, I will have to look at a map to refresh my memory on location, also down near the coal car depot that Julio has posted would probably be cool.

I'm just a poor man when it comes to camping. I don't have a motorhome, travel trailer, or even a pop up. But I love to tent camp. I think it gets me back to center. Cooking everything over the campfire and sleeping with the windows unzipped on a spring day is like nothing else. Glad to see other guys enjoying it too. My kids love it too. But they stay in a seperate tent from me and the misses. :cougar:

Re:

I've wanted to take my Tracker and do the same thing for a weekend. We broke down and had to spend the night on the mountain once and I enjoyed it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Skrmbld said:
I'm just a poor man when it comes to camping. I don't have a motorhome, travel trailer, or even a pop up. But I love to tent camp. I think it gets me back to center. Cooking everything over the campfire and sleeping with the windows unzipped on a spring day is like nothing else. Glad to see other guys enjoying it too. My kids love it too. But they stay in a seperate tent from me and the misses. :cougar:

My wife's and my backs don't really enjoy tent camping and we plain wont' do it during the summer. But it is an experience that I don't want my daughter to miss out on in life.

Sounds like I need to plan a trip to Harlan!

Re:

Ever looked into camp hammocks? I think they're much more comfortable then sleeping on the ground. Just gotta play with them and get them hung just right to suit you.

patooyee said:
My wife's and my backs don't really enjoy tent camping and we plain wont' do it during the summer. But it is an experience that I don't want my daughter to miss out on in life.

Sounds like I need to plan a trip to Harlan!

We got a double height air mattress that we use. Even has built in air pillows. As long as the tent is set on level ground it is actually not too bad. Slidding off of it in the sleeping bag suxs. They have the folding cots that could be cool. But they are only a single bed. Gotta have one for 2!

Re:

onepieceatatime said:
Ever looked into camp hammocks? I think they're much more comfortable then sleeping on the ground. Just gotta play with them and get them hung just right to suit you.

Hammocks are awesome, my "group" has been hammock camping for 5-6 years now. Much more convenient and comfortable imo.

Unless you are going on some "off park" ride I don't think you can do what you are wanting to do there, without riding around in circles all day. On a sxs, even a ranger you could cover the parks main easy trails in a few hours.

And not sure if it has a name, but there's that spot on trail 15 where the grill is set into the ground. Just wanna be there on a night with no wind.

Re: Re: Tent-Camping Harlan

Craig_c said:
And not sure if it has a name, but there's that spot on trail 15 where the grill is set into the ground. Just wanna be there on a night with no wind.
That's a cool spot too. Can be lots of night traffic though

Could be, but they would be more serious wheelers on that trail at night....or serious partyers

I remember seeing a pretty big area at the top of railroad. Also, down in the hole to the left of the mason jar entrance might be nice.