• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tie down laws

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been personally ticketed for this, it was considered a unsecured load. I tried to fight it and they responded back by saying that a load cannot be secure if the straps or chain is not tight, as in when the suspension is flexing.

you sure about that because thats not what the law states. :stirpot:

I have been personally ticketed for this, it was considered a unsecured load. I tried to fight it and they responded back by saying that a load cannot be secure if the straps or chain is not tight, as in when the suspension is flexing.

But the law states use factory tie-down points, which are on the frame. :stirpot:

I have yet to see a vehicle that has factory tie downs on the suspension.

So if you strap it down by the axle's, your have a soft suspension, and when towing your rig is dancing in the wind, They consider that a secure load??? :stirpot:

How strong are the link's or however your axles connect to your frame? Are they strong enough to with hold to a sudden stop?? :stirpot:

You really are missing a few cards less than a full deck!!! How many axles do you see coming loose when you make a sudden stop??

Did someone piss in your Wheaties today??

How strong are the link's or however your axles connect to your frame? Are they strong enough to with hold to a sudden stop?? :stirpot:[/QUOTE]

I hope I never have to stop fast..... I would be afraid of my drivetrain seperating from the body that I'm riding in. From now on I will be welding my body and cage to my axles to make sure this never happens!!:haha:

But the law states use factory tie-down points, which are on the frame. :stirpot:

I have yet to see a vehicle that has factory tie downs on the suspension.

How many vehicles come from the factory with a tie down point at all?
Don't forget that if the vehicle doesn't meet the requirements it's possible that it may not be able to be legally trailered.:stirpot:

...So if you strap it down by the axle's, your have a soft suspension, and when towing your rig is dancing in the wind, They consider that a secure load??? :stirpot:
Why wouldn't it be considered secure? How many times have you seen cars and trucks separated from their axles while driving on the road, turning corners, stopping, accelerating, etc? All of this is a bigger stress on the axles than the vehicle will ever see while strapped onto a trailer.
How strong are the link's or however your axles connect to your frame? Are they strong enough to with hold to a sudden stop?? :stirpot:
See above. Strong enough to hold up under normal driving conditions and then some. If you are talking about unusual circumstances such as a wreck where you want your trailered vehicle to stay on the trailer, it's impossible to predict the situation.

I hope I never have to stop fast..... I would be afraid of my drivetrain seperating from the body that I'm riding in. From now on I will be welding my body and cage to my axles to make sure this never happens!!:haha:[/QUOTE]
Shhhhhhhhh ..... you will give Joopy ideas. :haha:

ok So suppose your axles are secure and your joints are strong after beating on them all day. :rolleyes: lets move on.

Now what about the rig dancing in the wind??? Mine dances like Karl on a brass pole, all over the place. Makes pulling a trailer very scary. Thats why I chalk it and suck the suspension down. You guys say "no you cant suck it all the way down". I say "when its on the bump stops it's down". So yes you can.

And factory tie-downs are required by law. Go look at your car. Upfront there will be a tie-down and in the rear. Do you think they drove it out to your dealership?? No they shipped it. Do they tie them down by the suspensions?? No. They secure them at the frame and chalk it.

Read the law again guys. I didn't post it but it says factory tie-downs is the only legal way. Fawk for all I know we are all going to jail. :flipoff:

And factory tie-downs are required by law. Go look at your car. Upfront there will be a tie-down and in the rear. Do you think they drove it out to your dealership?? No they shipped it. Do they tie them down by the suspensions?? No. They secure them at the frame and chalk it.

Really? Can you show me the law that says that? Can you show me the documentation that says those are "tie down points"?.....

If your rig is "dancing in the wind" so bad there's nothing saying you can't strap the frame to the suspension or the trailer. Those just can't be your only straps.

Really? Can you show me the law that says that? Can you show me the documentation that says those are "tie down points"?.....

If your rig is "dancing in the wind" so bad there's nothing saying you can't strap the frame to the suspension or the trailer. Those just can't be your only straps.

see the first post in this thread. its the law. It says factory tie-downs. Second check your owners manual for factory tie-downs. So to answer your question. Yes I can show you. :cool:

second:: why not? If the load is secure, why not??

Scenario: Your out wheeling, you break off one of your links or maybe even 2 because your that hardcore. :kiss: . You dont have the parts to fix it on the spot, so you get it back to the trailer somehow.
Once loaded are you still going to "just" strap the axles down?? If not how can you consider that load secure??

:cool:

see the first post in this thread. its the law. It says factory tie-downs. Second check your owners manual for factory tie-downs. So to answer your question. Yes I can show you. :cool: :
So it's the law that there must be tie downs on your vehicle from the factory? Second, show me. My owners manual does not list tie downs.

second:: why not? If the load is secure, why not??:
No it's not secure if the load moves around on the trailer.

Scenario: Your out wheeling, you break off one of your links or maybe even 2 because your that hardcore. :kiss: . You dont have the parts to fix it on the spot, so you get it back to the trailer somehow.
Once loaded are you still going to "just" strap the axles down?? If not how can you consider that load secure??
:cool:
At that point you have a different load don't you? If you can't secure that load then you can't trailer it.
Jon try this. Strap you rig onto a trailer secured by the frame/ bumpers. Tow down a bumpy road and have a friend video tape. Watch the video then come back to give a report..............

see the first post in this thread. its the law. It says factory tie-downs. Second check your owners manual for factory tie-downs. So to answer your question. Yes I can show you. :cool:

second:: why not? If the load is secure, why not??

Because Joop a vehicle DOESN'T come from the factory built the way yours, mine and most everyone else on here has. Yes a car hauler (portable parking lot) (truck driver lingo) uses a CHAIN with a T hook that is inserted into the frame. Then he ratchets the cain down to allow little to no movement out of a rig that had 3" to start with. So what your trying to compair is just like Karl asking how does the military tie stuff down. It isn't relevent here. It doesn't fit what we do. How much up and down travel does your suspension have? More than stock?? If yes then why are you trying to argue using a stock method? If stock was ok then none of us would modify our rigs. But we do and in doing so the STOCK method of securing a rig to a trail is not acceptable. How is your rig swaying on the trailer dangerous? It sways when it is driven down the trail? Or when you drive it on the street right? It doesn't just flop over then does it? Then how is it going to on your trailer? Do you not know how to drive a tow rig? Are you still trying to go hot into the corners and brake late? I mean if a person on here that has coil-over suspension can tie down at the axle and thier rig doesn't sway all over the place then I am not sure how yours can??

Go back to your reading. I am done.

Now what about the rig dancing in the wind??? Mine dances like Karl on a brass pole, all over the place. Makes pulling a trailer very scary. Thats why I chalk it and suck the suspension down. You guys say "no you cant suck it all the way down". I say "when its on the bump stops it's down". So yes you can.

:

You must have metal bump stops?? Because if you suck your suspension down to the bump stops then your suspension has at least 1" of movement from that point. And you let all the air out of your tires or you air them up to 50psi right? Because anything inbetween and your going to get flex in your tires. So your load isn't secure becasue it can move.

Status
Not open for further replies.