• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tire Sidewall Repair

Drone637

I put a rather nice sized gash in the sidewall of a BFG MTR a little while back and the plugs just don't hold air on the trail that well.

Is there any place north of Seattle that would repair the sidewall? Do those patch kits you see on-line work at all? Or is it a lost cause and time for a new tire?

Brian H is a master at bonafide sidewall repair. Kinda a tire genious around here. PM him and wait for his answer. If you've got access to a pic, post up a pic of the repair area needed.

before repair

misc%20267.jpg

after repair

attachment.php

Last edited:
buddy of mine down here in redding had his tire fixed, really bad sidewall gash, works great still, if you are interested let me know and I will get the info for ya.

BFG's are good tires, but they seem prone to sidewall cuts really easy. The triple sidewall protection seems hockey. You can try to get it repaired, but I'd never run it on the hwy again! Too much flex in the sidewall! It may work for a spare, or off-road tire only. It doesn't look that big, so you might be able to fix it for a spare! Good luck.

Brian H actually got back to me. He was able to fix it, but said the same thing about highway only.

Long story short, my curiosity on the actual strength of the sidewall on the BFG got the better of me and a sawzall made it's way into the side of my tire.

I pick up some new tires on Friday. :)

I told him I could fix it as a spare or offroad only just as a liability thing. If something were to happen to the tire at 60 or 70 on the free way it could be my azz. I will fix allmost anybodies tire that uses it for only off road use but if its an everyday driver also I will pass as your life is worth more than a tire. Im not saying that I expect my work on the tire to fail but Im sure you will understand. So just remember if you use it for transportation I will not fix it.:cool:

Brian,

That's still a cool thing to do, even if it wasn't used this time.

Next time you do a tire fix, would you take a bunch of pics, and do a basic write up on how you do it. I'd like to edit into a 'Tire Repair' thread in the "How To" section of Tech.

Tire repair skill isn't exactly common, you know, and I'm still amazed at the fix on Crash's tire a couple years ago.

Tony

I told him I could fix it as a spare or offroad only just as a liability thing.

Oh, I know that. But somebody left my sawzall out, and it was sitting right next to where I unloaded the tires. :D

Actually, I was a bit surprised how thin the sidewall is/was.

Brian,

That's still a cool thing to do, even if it wasn't used this time.

Next time you do a tire fix, would you take a bunch of pics, and do a basic write up on how you do it. I'd like to edit into a 'Tire Repair' thread in the "How To" section of Tech.

Tire repair skill isn't exactly common, you know, and I'm still amazed at the fix on Crash's tire a couple years ago.

Tony

Well Ill do one if someone would hurry up and fawk up a tire for me to fix!!!!!:haha: