• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

To Weepow or not?

Red97 said:
Hmm world's worst set almost sounds budget friendly. Link?

Wonder how much I would have to tip toe with sticky 37's and sami front..

They are on facebook rock crawling classifieds. I just hate them. I miss reds. I'm going 39 krt's and stretching my wheelbase.

Red97 said:
They are heavier than I thought, but does the weight translate to durability?

Durability was the MAIN reason that i bought them over any other tire....i know that Reds are better at rock, but i wanted a tire that would wear like steel and do good in most wheeling environments.

Also in my oppion, I think a sticky tire in a 37 is about the limit for Toy axles, any bigger then that and they will start exploding parts....i know others have ran 39's or bigger, some with Luck, but it is just asking for Issues.

I want a v8 from time to time but my 4 cyl rig has no problem showing v8 buggies how to get the job done, it just takes some no ****s given approach sometimes. although it is an expensive 4 cyl rig, it is light, under powered and over axled. 22re with an auto trans and it makes a BIG difference . 114" wheelbase I love it

I love my weepow so much I built another single seater just like it. It is for sale to build another weepow. Just my choice. I could build what ever I wanted. Love my weepow.
Don't mind when it breaks. A very bad on the trail is less than 500$ .. say that in a v8 buggy.

Other than packaging, am I going to kick myself running coil's and shocks vs 2.0 airs when I rebuild the current rig?

Well a 4cyl is going to be used.

Put a deposit on a hayabusa engine/setup. Hopefully the fellas holds his word till i get back in town next week.

Going to run a th350,205.

Now driver drop, or passenger? Already have a ford 205, don't see any reason I can't make a sleeve to install a 27 spline small input.?

Now I gotta sell off all the toy stuff I have gathered lol. This Web wheeling/parts chasing is gonna be the end of me.

806395ffb22f7e3a11bd6c758699ebde.jpg

That worked out pretty well. Got everything but the swing arm, shock and rear tire.

What kind of hp and torque do those motors put out? How do you mate it to a regular transmission?

mckeddie said:
What kind of hp and torque do those motors put out? How do you mate it to a regular transmission?

Rated for 170~ hp 9krpm 110 ~ ftlb 7krpm at the crank. Rev limit at 11,300

I am going to make a "divorced " th350 basically a plate with a shaft /bearing across the bellhousing. To locate and support the tq converter. Hook the output off the bike transmission to the shaft I add to the th350.

Bike trans first gear is 2.6x so the tq converter would be spinning 4300~rpm max with the bike in 1st gear. And 5900~ 1.9 bike second gear.

I can use a stock ish stall in the th350 1700x2.6 = 4420 (bike engine rpm) before stall locks up. Which will put the bike engine close to max tq without really lugging the engine down ever.

Yes the bike engine will be revving a lot, but they are designed to stay up in the rpm anyway.

So you keep the bike transmission and it just stays in first gear all the time? I've seen people run these before, but never understood how they were doing it.

mckeddie said:
So you keep the bike transmission and it just stays in first gear all the time? I've seen people run these before, but never understood how they were doing it.

X2 please explain

Re:

AW10 had an adapter mates the bike trans output to the truck input, pretty slick design. Bike trans stays in 1st and he weepows 1st-5th.

Yes, bike will keep the trans as it is part of the engine block. If I get lots of $$ they do make a 3sp conversion for the busa, that has a lot stronger gears and keeps 1st and 2nd gear ratio the same. Don't remember what third is.

1st gear will deliver the most hp/tq to the truck transmission.

170hp x 2.6 1st gear =442 hp going to the truck transmission (th350) in my case.
105tq x 2.6 = 273 ftlb

Second gear is a 1.9 ratio so the torque multiplication wouldn't be as strong, but would be capable of higher speeds.

Most of the bike engine buggys use a manual trans, and either the bike clutch, or fit an automotive clutch.

I plan on using an automatic, just for the low rpm tq multiplication, slow speed crawling, don't have to worry bout it stalling all the time, or lugging the engine way down.

Playing with gear ratio calculator, I got 19mph, 27mph 45mph with the bike in first gear, th 350, np205, 5.12 axle gears and 35" tires.

nhl_bullitt said:
laughing1

So first off, I'm a believer in lighter is better. Keep that in mind with any build.

It depends on the wheeling. Rock crawling large boulders on level ground can be done with skill and anything that has power to 4 wheels.

However, I will use an obstacle at my local park as an example. It is right off of an access trail. No it is not some long, loose steep hill, or something you have to jump. But you are not going to idle yourself up it. You need wheelbase and readily available wheel speed. After your front tires crest the top, and while you are still moving forward, you have to mash the gas with a purpose. I don't have much, but the mild 350 and 5.13s gets the job done every day I try it. FWIW, I literally have never seen anybody else make it in person, and this is the place I go to every month. Other people make it, especially buggies, just not who I'm with I guess.

Like a lot of hillside ledges deep in the woods, it almost always has a slimy texture to it. That is just a physical example of what I come across a lot while wheeling. Stickies have absolutely helped the cause for getting away with less HP but sometimes it only goes so far.

Again, what obstacles are you hoping to conquer out there. Totally up to the builder/driver.

The yj in the pic has 114wb for reference.

DSCN2925https://www.flickr.com/photos/146897672@N05/
i've personally been up this and have seen several go up it with 4cylinder toyota trucks. No need for a v8 on it. I've watched toyotas on 33's go up it too.

Red97 said:
Yes, bike will keep the trans as it is part of the engine block. If I get lots of $$ they do make a 3sp conversion for the busa, that has a lot stronger gears and keeps 1st and 2nd gear ratio the same. Don't remember what third is.

1st gear will deliver the most hp/tq to the truck transmission.

170hp x 2.6 1st gear =442 hp going to the truck transmission (th350) in my case.
105tq x 2.6 = 273 ftlb

Second gear is a 1.9 ratio so the torque multiplication wouldn't be as strong, but would be capable of higher speeds.

Most of the bike engine buggys use a manual trans, and either the bike clutch, or fit an automotive clutch.

I'm not going to be negitive , I love to see this stuff on the trail.. But you are going to loose the torque that you do have in the converter and trans loss.
Then what little you have left in the 205. I guessing tons?? you may consider smaller more efficient trans, t-case. and front and rear. If not I hope your combo works.. love the weepow... look forward to riding with you on the trails !!! hitit

I plan on using an automatic, just for the low rpm tq multiplication, slow speed crawling, don't have to worry bout it stalling all the time, or lugging the engine way down.

Playing with gear ratio calculator, I got 19mph, 27mph 45mph with the bike in first gear, th 350, np205, 5.12 axle gears and 35" tires.

After talking with aw10 about setups. Said he went through 2 toy manuals, and had to find the "r151f" big toyota trans?

I settled on the th350/205 setup 1, easy to find/modify. 2, will hold up to pretty much anything I can throw at them.

The chassis is likely to be pretty wide, so a ls swap down the rd could be possible.

I thought about using the geo tracker 3sp auto. Th180/3l30 but very limited aftermarket stateside, and need a a custom adaptor to run a toy transfer case.

I know the th350/205 will suck some of the power. But the peace of mind will be worth it to me.

I'm gonna try and run my tracker 7.5"/d44 axles and 35's if they absolutely don't hold up I'll build something around 9" centers.

My goal is to have a full buggy inside a 2door tracker tin top shell. Kind of like the Comanche build on here.

2 seats with a small rear bench.

Re:

I would look into the aw4/d300 setup. Or yota auto (a340?) With yota cases. Both those trans are basically the same and will hold up to plenty of power, and can be manually shifted.

Im curious how itll act with an auto. Curious how the auto will handle the rpms. Maybe a custom tc. Wonder if a cvt trans might work well?

Theres a guy in NC with a turbo busa buggy (~300hp) going through a r151 yota trans & axles on ~36s. He also had the sami with gsxr engine. Sami was shifted using bike clutch. He shifted both when needed. The busa, he has a slipper clutch with air shifter on the bike trans and mainly uses the yota trans like a gear box.

Both have to turn the rpms to make power. From what I've seen, the busa will shoot a hill like no other. Hearing him bump through all the bike gears is something else.