• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

To Weepow or not?

The auto won't see any extra rpm

Bike 11,300 rev limit ÷ 2.6 bike first gear =4346rpm into the tq converter
Second gear is 1.9 =5947 rpm into the tq converter
Third gear 1.5 =7533rpm into the tq converter

So 1-3 in the bike trans should be within the realm of a normal tq converter.

The gear ratio in the bike trans acts kind of like a built in stall..

1700 normal th350 stall

This is where I really like the idea of an auto trans to start with. The tq converter will allow the bike engine to stay up in the rpm all the time and never stall out. I could always add air shifters to the bike, but I don't feel it's needed with an auto.

1st gear 4420 rpm(2.6×1700)
2nd gear 3230(1.9×1700)
3rd gear 2550(1.5×1700)

Engine rpm before reaching the stall speed in the converter.

Doubt the engine will have enough power to run 3rd gear, even if it could 7500 rpm isn't out of the question for spinning a th350. Likely the bike wold stay in first gear 94% of the time and occasionally 2nd gear if I need more speed for the sand

Th 350 converters are relatively inexpensive to play with if I need more or less stall. Full manual valve body with compression breaking and a large trans cooler should be pretty bullet proof behind the low Tq of the bike engine even in first gear. Max tq should only be round 260 ftlb.

Got the go ahead on a full buggy, out to make layout a bit easier.

Still the same plan 105-108 wb 32" rear bench and 35/7s

Still torn on which t case to go with.? Have a th350 23 spline toy adaptor and the case. Or a 205? Want to keep it pass drop.

If you can handle the **** gear ratio of the 205 (or didn't plan on gearing the Yota case to 4.7), I'd stick with the 205 all day. I'd assume you can with the 1st gear on the bike trans...

I personally couldn't stand listening to a bike motor all day.

I'm interested to see how it works out with the automatic though.

TBItoy said:
If you can handle the **** gear ratio of the 205 (or didn't plan on gearing the Yota case to 4.7), I'd stick with the 205 all day. I'd assume you can with the 1st gear on the bike trans...

I personally couldn't stand listening to a bike motor all day.

I'm interested to see how it works out with the automatic though.

I didn't plan on gearing the toy case. Altho a crawl box in front of the 205 sounded like a good idea.

Am I wrong in assuming if I build around a 205 now, a atlas/stak should fit in the same area down the road?

Plan on running a full exhaust, don't figure it will be much worse than the current 1.6.

Red97 said:
Yes, bike will keep the trans as it is part of the engine block. If I get lots of $$ they do make a 3sp conversion for the busa, that has a lot stronger gears and keeps 1st and 2nd gear ratio the same. Don't remember what third is.

1st gear will deliver the most hp/tq to the truck transmission.

170hp x 2.6 1st gear =442 hp going to the truck transmission (th350) in my case.
105tq x 2.6 = 273 ftlb

Second gear is a 1.9 ratio so the torque multiplication wouldn't be as strong, but would be capable of higher speeds.

Most of the bike engine buggys use a manual trans, and either the bike clutch, or fit an automotive clutch.

I plan on using an automatic, just for the low rpm tq multiplication, slow speed crawling, don't have to worry bout it stalling all the time, or lugging the engine way down.

Playing with gear ratio calculator, I got 19mph, 27mph 45mph with the bike in first gear, th 350, np205, 5.12 axle gears and 35" tires.

Gearing doesn't change horsepower, only torque

TBItoy said:
Yesan atlas will fit where a 205 is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, thank you.

Hopefully I can get a few weeks off work, to get the engine pulled out and start figuring out the transmission adaptor.

Working 7-12's away from home I got lots of time to think bout all these ideas. Just no time to try them out.

muddinmetal said:
Gearing doesn't change horsepower, only torque

Ok had some time to figure this out.

Rated tq on my 05 engine is 102 ftlb @7100

137 hp in 1-3 gear with tq dropping each gear.

1st gear 265 ftlb @ 2730 rpm 4346 max converter rpm
2nd gear 193 ftlb @3736 rpm 5947 max converter rpm
3rd gear 153 ftlb @4733 rpm 7533 max converter rpm

So by those calculations the bike engine should be really comparable to a stock 3rz engine in 2nd gear.

1st gear should work well with the 205 for crawling around. WhIle 2nd gear should allow plenty of speed if needed.

mightymouse said:
i've personally been up this and have seen several go up it with 4cylinder toyota trucks. No need for a v8 on it. I've watched toyotas on 33's go up it too.

It was something 2+ years ago almost anybody that wasn't stock was trying it whether they made it or not (maybe you were just there 2 days ago for all I know). Currently, it is very tall and I'd be surprised if anything less than a 100" wb would make unless it was used as a jump. With that said, it seems to have a slick moisture content on it every time I'm there where wheel speed is necessary.

nhl_bullitt said:
It was something 2+ years ago almost anybody that wasn't stock was trying it whether they made it or not (maybe you were just there 2 days ago for all I know). Currently, it is very tall and I'd be surprised if anything less than a 100" wb would make unless it was used as a jump. With that said, it seems to have a slick moisture content on it every time I'm there where wheel speed is necessary.
here ya go (sorry for the thread highjack) last year. 38" tire and under class. watch the video no need for v8's to climb that ledge (skip to the 9 min mark on this ). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EtD-z-ZSb8 the toyota is on 36" sx's fyi and the other two to make it are jeep cherokees like your old one.

mightymouse said:
here ya go (sorry for the thread highjack) last year. 38" tire and under class. watch the video no need for v8's to climb that ledge (skip to the 9 min mark on this ). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EtD-z-ZSb8 the toyota is on 36" sx's fyi and the other two to make it are jeep cherokees like your old one.

I remember that event. But yea that is 2 years ago.

nhl_bullitt said:
I remember that event. But yea that is 2 years ago.
true it's almost (read publish date may 14th 2015) two years ago. I'm just saying there have been plenty of people go right up jays bluff with 4 cylinder rigs this year. Is there any video of you making that climb or is that why you claim the need for a v8 to make it?

https://m.facebook.com/moonlightracing1

96ecf97bdb2657cf56ee3fa144f01fc7.jpg

You driving ? I'll roll witcha

mightymouse said:
true it's almost (read publish date may 14th 2015) two years ago. I'm just saying there have been plenty of people go right up jays bluff with 4 cylinder rigs this year. Is there any video of you making that climb or is that why you claim the need for a v8 to make it?

I said it takes wheel speed, not a v8. Yes, lots of recent video of me making it. That isn't really a climb to test the limits of my buggy, not to sound like a jack ass. :dunno: I feel like I'm arguing about nothing.

smbroady82 said:
Come on, it's only 7 hours to prove a point. I can haul (2) rigs on my trailer! :rolf:

Haha. I wouldn't say go because of 1 climb, but the park is a fun place for sure.

Thread Hijack level: near completion