• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tow Rig Brakes

onepieceatatime

I like turtles...
Time to put some new brakes on my 04 2500HD. What's everyone running on their rig? Just something you pick up at the local parts store or is there some aftermarket stuff that's just so much better than OEM stuff that you will never run anything else?

I never was too impressed with the brakes on my truck but the Allison does a good job of slowing the truck down when I'm really loaded and I don't drive like an idiot so I've always been able to get by with what I had but if there's a place to upgrade I'll consider it.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I run all ceramic pads on mine, they last 60 thousand miles and I tow a lot, but you will need to change the rotors everytime. Check Break Performance, they have some good prices.

If you don't care about brake dust and a little bit of squealing... Look into the Hawk HP plus line.

Probably the most aggressive pad you can buy.

Pretty sure this truck has the original pads on them at almost 90k miles and they really only need replaced because at 14 years old the backing plate start rusting through.

Realistic pad would be the LTS pads..... but if you wanted to put your eyeballs on the windshield the HP plus will do it.

...gotta pay to play though. They're a little bit better than the $40 parts store pads. :)
f1405f38d98d0b45d48793e1ac2b12df.jpg

We have been using the EBC drilled and slotted rotors with Yellow (Towing) brake pads for 16 months or 20k miles on the wife's Tacoma.

While not near as heavy as your 2500 HD, I got tired of warping the factory rotors when we towed the Jeep or tractor around (total trailer weight of 6k pounds). So instead of factory brakes we went with this kit from EBC.
https://www.shopebcbrakes.com/EBC-Stage-5-Super-Street-Kit/p25?car_type_key=55&year=2006&car_make_key=33&car_model_key=6154&car_motor_key=5636&car_submodel1_key=12099&car_submodel2_key=4433&car_submodel3_key=&car_submodel4_key=&car_submodel5_key=&car_submodel6_key=&car_submodel7_key=&car_submodel8_key=&car_submodel9_key=&car_submodel10_key=&car_submodel11_key=&car_submodel12_key=

Been very pleased with the rotors and pads. Only issue we notice is more brake dust than the factory brakes, but stopping power is much better.

Buddy of mine gets real good prices from NAPA so I went with this set up. Finished up last night and could tell a difference on the way to work today. I can tell the grab a lot more but I still have a soft pedal up at the top of the stroke. It's been that way since I got this truck a few years ago. I've replaced all the solid lines and multiple attempts to bleed it I still can't get a real firm pedal. I believe I read somewhere that sometimes you need to flush the hydroboost system periodically and that it can help with the brakes. Anybody have experience with this?
ca64d768e307476a5a2dfbfe0cc9813a.jpg

onepieceatatime said:
Buddy of mine gets real good prices from NAPA so I went with this set up. Finished up last night and could tell a difference on the way to work today. I can tell the grab a lot more but I still have a soft pedal up at the top of the stroke. It's been that way since I got this truck a few years ago. I've replaced all the solid lines and multiple attempts to bleed it I still can't get a real firm pedal. I believe I read somewhere that sometimes you need to flush the hydroboost system periodically and that it can help with the brakes. Anybody have experience with this?
ca64d768e307476a5a2dfbfe0cc9813a.jpg

Iv did a couple chevys and one superduty. Yes it did help a bunch. That old fluid gets funky. Pull the return line off at the pump. Stick it in a bucket fire it up and pump the hell out the brake pedel. Push it down hard each pump. Just have somebody puring new fluid in wile you do it. U will get some nasty ass fluid out of it. All the trucks i did it on had well over 200k on them tho.