• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tow Rigs : Put Up Or Shut Up

Hmmm, might want to recheck those numbers. Thats better than alot of diesels get these days.:;

when we flat towed Ruby which weights about 4200Lbs we got down to Tillamilk, OR in a tanks of gas which was about 17 gals from Everett, WA. which happens to be 261 miles.

when we flat towed Ruby which weights about 4200Lbs we got down to Tillamilk, OR in a tanks of gas which was about 17 gals from Everett, WA. which happens to be 261 miles.

so why bother flat towing it ? a car towing a jeep isnt safe as far as im concerned, you realy arnt saving much if any fuel, and causeing wear and tear on both rigs. i could mayby see if the motor on the rubi was on its last leggs.. but if it breaks down, your kinda SOL when flat towing any ways...??? :corn:

so why bother flat towing it ? a car towing a jeep isnt safe as far as im concerned, you realy arnt saving much if any fuel, and causeing wear and tear on both rigs. i could mayby see if the motor on the rubi was on its last leggs.. but if it breaks down, your kinda SOL when flat towing any ways...??? :corn:

its not a car, Nissan Frontier 4x4 Nismo P/u truck. We are try to keep the milage lower on Ruby. This is a tempory fix for not driving Ruby everywhere till we get the money and space for a trailer.

its not a car, Nissan Frontier 4x4 Nismo P/u truck. We are try to keep the milage lower on Ruby. This is a tempory fix for not driving Ruby everywhere till we get the money and space for a trailer.

trying to keep the mileage down on the Rubi.. so you're flat towing it... wtf? Yea I know what you mean, but ya gotta think about that one. Who's to say how many miles were of it being towed.

you call it a nissan, i call it a car... :fawkdancesmiley:

a frontier sure isnt a truck from the towing stand point. it may be able to move the weight, but safely stoping is a diferent matter.
with out wasting my e-time searching for hard data, im guessing a jk weighs in as much or more than the frontier.

id hate to be the one stacked up trying to haul it down in a panic situation.

besides your still putting the miles on it ..... tires are turning arnt they? transfer case inturnals are spinning ..... oils not being pumped... you ask me, it's more wear and tear than if it was moving under its own power, atleast then it'd be properly lubricated.

ok i looked...
nissan frontier:
Weights: gross vehicle weight rating (lbs) 5,730, curb weight (lbs) 4,242, gross trailer weight braked (lbs)

that meand its designed to tow a load of 4242 IF IT HAS TRAILOR BRAKES.

rubicon jk
curb weight: Wrangler Rubicon, Auto. Trans 4,129 lbs.
add larger tires, hd bumpers, winch etc....

do you see where im going with this...

im not trying to be an e-thug, i want you to understand that if something happened on the hwy, and my kids were in the car ahead of you.... lets just say the captain better hope they go down with the boat, cause i know i wouldnt be able to live with my self...
all over the fallse sence of " keeping the miles off"

< rant off >

fyi: even an all alum 16' trailor w/ brakes weighs in over 1k lbs, that'd put you 1500lbs or so over, but would be safer due to it having brakes. and if you broke down, then youd be able to get home.

but a nissan is still a car in my book.

rubicon jk
curb weight: Wrangler Rubicon, Auto. Trans 4,129 lbs.
add larger tires, hd bumpers, winch etc....

do you see where im going with this...

QUOTE]

OK, I might be a girl but all i drive is stick first off.
Second, I know where you went and this is the only TRUCK we have to tow.
Third, I HAVE towed with a trailer that had brakes and it worked fine.
fourth, The tow rating is 6500Lbs with brakes.
Fifth, We DO plan on getting a braking system for flat towing.
Sixth, We do NOT have the room or the money for a trailer.
seventh, When flat towing the transfercase IS held still and NO extra milage.

That is all i have to say on this subject and if i could afford it i would get a 2500 4x4 dodge cummins :D

it gets read by the transmission and with the transfer case in neutral it can not read any milage.

I would be surprised if this is correct. The speedometer drive is usually on the output of the transfer case or on the rear axle housing. If it is on the transmission, your speedometer will read read incorrectly when in low range. Not that that is really huge deal.

Also, even if the speedometer is not being driven when flat towed, it is still a false sense of economy. The entire drivetrain from the transfer case back is being operated and causing wear.

Kat's just doing what she can afford for now and we've all done stuff that was less than ideal for the same reasons.

She is certain to get the crap scared out of her at some time due to no trailing brakes and similar vehicle weights. BTDT. Trailing brakes will really help.