• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tow Truck or Trailer

Boonie Buster

Stuck on a Curb
ok, so there's a flat bed diesel i've been eyeing the past week, my question i pose to you all.......... would you prefer a car trailer and truck over just a flatbed truck? and why? i guess i could see this being a good alternative because of space. but then again it's up higher in the air (bad COG) so i figure i wont try and sway your answers too much by my opinions and let you form your own. thanks guys.:corn:

A good thing about hauling on a truck is you can pull something else behind. Travel Trailer, trailer full of other toys or flat tow your buddy's rig.

I would prefer a flatbed truck AND a trailer that way I got options, haul rig on flatbed or on trailer, get a camper and put it on flatbed and still pull trailer, or get a deal on a camp trailer and be able to pull that with the rig on the flatbed. All kinds of options, flatbed=good. Fact maybe I'll go out and flatbed my dodge now!

I like regular bed truck with camper and trailer with wheeler. When you get to wherever you'r going you can just pull the wheeler off the trailer. If you had a flatbed towing a camp trailer, you would have to un hook and move to unload. Also the flatbed would have to be 12 feet long at least. You would probubly have to move the axle back a few feet and all the other stuff that goes with it.

I'd get a trailer..... too much hassel with doing a flat bed truck ie lengthen frame/reinforce, relocate axle and or add second one, unhooking anything you are pulling just to load and unload.

Oh yea sure Robin buys that after I stop towing his junk :flipoff:

And how difficult is it REALLY to unhook a trailer? The way some people talk, it sounds like it's an hour long ordeal :rolleyes: . A regular truck camper just isn't big enough. And it's not like a travel trailer is more expensive then a camper.

I daily drive my tow rig... a typical flatbed car hauler is just too impractical to drive around day in and day out, so I say truck and trailer.

Lucky Jeff said:
Oh yea sure Robin buys that after I stop towing his junk :flipoff:

And how difficult is it REALLY to unhook a trailer? The way some people talk, it sounds like it's an hour long ordeal :rolleyes: . A regular truck camper just isn't big enough. And it's not like a travel trailer is more expensive then a camper.

It's not that hard or take that long to unhook a camp trailer, it's just the convience of not needing too

NotMatt said:
I daily drive my tow rig... a typical flatbed car hauler is just too impractical to drive around day in and day out, so I say truck and trailer.
\

I can't seem to park my tow rig nand drive the little car these days :D

I almost built a flatbed from a crew cab Chevy. I was going to put a standard cab on it and set the flatbed right on the rails to keep the COG as low as possible and just put fender wells on for the rear tires. I figured I could just drive over the flares if they were heavy duty enough.

The flatbed has a real advantage when it comes to moving around in cramped quarters as well. It is just harder to find a place to turn around and park a truck+trailer.

That being said, the nice thing about just having a trailer is you have a truck bed the rest of the time. Just throw a camper on it for camping, you can toss garbage in the back and not have to worry about it blowing out. I don't think sacraficing a bed is worth a little extra convinience when towing. Don't forget, with a trailer you can use someone else to tow your rig around. You can't do that with a flat bed. :D

cool opinions guys, i guess i'll add some of mine now, i guess since i already have a truck i can use the "bed" on i'm not too worried about that. and since i have a commuter (or two lol) im not too worried about driving it around everywhere, so i think i might still stick with the flatbed idea, possibly build a deck that's lower to the ground but if this guy is wanting to get rid of this truck for the right price then maybe............just maybe.................:clappy:

im sure there's one around, i know exactly whihc truck you're thinking of (ridden in it before with Big Mark) i like it, but it'd be way cool if it were diesel:cool: no offense big mark:kissmyass: :redneck:

Do you have any other toys?
There are a couple of guy around here that run a 12' flatbed and tow ~24' trailers. The main reason is, they run Jeeps and bikes in the summer and sleds in the winter. With a 12' flatbed, all the different toys fit on the truck nicely and if your just up for a day run, no camper nessary.
Also been told the longer wheelbase and jeep tow/ride much nicer than a slide in camper ever did. Also, a Jeep doesn't sit any higher than a camper, for those worrried about the COG.

havent seen the big killer issue yet. (at least for me) Cost of insurance. The car trailer dosent have any insurance costs while the flatbet will most likely be concidered a commercial vehicle by your insurance co.