• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Toyota Dana 60 swap?

Thanks! It use to be my dd rig for a year or so until i bought my powerstroke....even drove it to Montana a few times!

Thats cool and everything, but if someone is looking for a more durable and reliable setup I am all for it. Because I was "That guy" all to many times I believe in overbuilding as it makes for a more enjoyable wheeling experience. Nothing sucks more that to drive/tow 3 hours only to break 15 minutes into the trail and ruin your day. :awesomework:

That does suck.:redneck: But it's ok, he's running a toyota.:redneck::stirpot:

Thats cool and everything, but if someone is looking for a more durable and reliable setup I am all for it. Because I was "That guy" all to many times I believe in overbuilding as it makes for a more enjoyable wheeling experience. Nothing sucks more that to drive/tow 3 hours only to break 15 minutes into the trail and ruin your day. :awesomework:

Unfortunately thats prt of wheeling some times...
But spare axles are easy to replace on a trail... Tcase parts and adapters motors not so much...

And those break no matter what axles ur running..

Unfortunately thats prt of wheeling some times...
But spare axles are easy to replace on a trail... Tcase parts and adapters motors not so much...

And those break no matter what axles ur running..
Agreed but running heavy duty axles, trans, and T-cases mean you break a whole lot less. In 10 years of running front 60s I only have 1 u-joint failure to speak of. Something you Toyota axle guys cannot say. Again I am not trying to **** on Toy axles, just trying to answer the questions about reliabilty and durability the origional poster asked about. Nothing more, nothing less.:beer:

Agree In 10 years of running front 60s I only have 1 u-joint failure to speak of. Something you Toyota axle guys cannot say.

Correct you are! I have NO Ujoints in my axle! Its a d60 thing I dont understand! :haha:

I sure do enjoy cranking my steering as sharp as I can with no hopping, ujoint bind/feedback. Soooo Smooooth!

I think you are stuck in the "pre 30 spline Long" days. Back then wheelin on egg shells sucks.

I havent had a SINGLE front axle break since my wheeler went together with 30 spline Longs 4 years ago.

I know for fact this rig has seen more hours in the woods during that 4 years than your D60.:D

The hammers didnt even kill my axle. :awesomework:

But I have an underpowered 22re in a 3400 lb rig. :stirpot:

Let also compere costs.

Its easy to spend $5000 to build a d60 worth a ****.

It costs $2000 to build baddass toy axles.

Both retain sometimes over 80% in value if in working shape when sold as used.

So if toy axles dont work out he can sell them for enough to make a down payment on 60s.

Correct you are! I have NO Ujoints in my axle! Its a d60 thing I dont understand! :haha:

I sure do enjoy cranking my steering as sharp as I can with no hopping, ujoint bind/feedback. Soooo Smooooth!

I think you are stuck in the "pre 30 spline Long" days. Back then wheelin on egg shells sucks.

I havent had a SINGLE front axle break since my wheeler went together with 30 spline Longs 4 years ago.

I know for fact this rig has seen more hours in the woods during that 4 years than your D60.:D

The hammers didnt even kill my axle. :awesomework:

But I have an underpowered 22re in a 3400 lb rig. :stirpot:
Fair enough, some good points but I wouldnt say you logged more hours than me. When my rig was put together I wheeled alot almost every weekend. In the first 5 years I probably went to Funny/Moon at least 5-8 times per summer, and Reiter and every where else inbetween a ton, and also I am not your typical mud hating buggy Guy like most those retards are. Anyways, 5g is ways off as a 60 can be built for 2500 or less. Sure you can spend more, but thats only if you want to be able to say I got "this or that". I have 2500 into mine and that includes gears, detroit, HD diff cover, chromo tie rod, drive flanges, and chromo inner and outer axles and 6lug conversion. All being said, in comparison your toy stuff tho pretty upgraded still is inferior in every way, every way. But hey you have slightly smoother steering tho so that should make you feel better:fawkdancesmiley:. And as far as resale, come awn good but not great compared to a 60:clappy:. Anyways I wont go awn anymore as preaching to you Toyota Loyalists is like preaching to the Heep only guys. Meaning it goes in one ear and out the other:rolleyes:, you can keep trying to convince me but I know better. Anyways I am up for an Elbe trip so keep in touch, sundays are good for me.:beer:

Last edited:
Never had that problem. We do the biggest dune here in 2wd with less run than the 6 bangers :fawkdancesmiley:
Yea, Yea. We need to meet up at Rimrock late winter in the mud and you will wish you had the extra hp on some of those steep hills. If you cant generate good wheelspeed you will be winching alot.

I don't touch mud.

:D but the built 16v does get it! in the snow. Runs like a 2 stroke

I'm looking at doing a 4AGE in the LJ.. 170hp N/A, high revving 4 banger.

He hasn't got his feet wet yet. When he does he'll be eating his words. This situation reminds me when the oil change kid tells the senior tech how to do his job:haha:

Prefawkingcisely. It's all internet knowledge very little real world experience knowledge. I remember when I was sorta like that... :redneck:

You can't talk **** about someone being a ***** in the mud porter. There are still pics out there of you lightfooting around on the lakebed. :flipoff:

Ive done alot more than others my age, bend tube, working on gear installs now, etc.

And no, i will not even touch mud deeper than a few inches.

Latest posts