• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

toyota Pinion nut torque

fatkid81

I need to change out a flange on my pinion and i dont have a book what you do you guys torque your pinion nuts too? It is the crushed sleeve style.

I would measure rolling torque before pulling the nut. After installing the new seal. I would run the nut down tight. Check rolling torque again. Your looking for 5-10lbs more rolling torque. Easiest with an Inch pound torque wrench

I would measure rolling torque before pulling the nut. After installing the new seal. I would run the nut down tight. Check rolling torque again. Your looking for 5-10lbs more rolling torque. Easiest with an Inch pound torque wrench
Obviously the best way to do this is to pull it down and replace the crush sleeve...but it can be done (if your careful) without doing so...as stated before, check the preload using an inch pound torque wrench (dial type), change the flange, then locktite the threads of the nut, and carefully tighten the nut a little bit at a time until you have obtained the proper preload for used bearings (5-10 inch pounds IIRC), then stake the nut and let the locktite cure before putting back in service...

Mark the nut to the pinion head(I use a sharpie). remove the nut and replace the flange. Tighten the nut till your marks line up. thats the only way to know without removing the carrier and checking your bearing preload before and after the flange change.

Mark the nut to the pinion head(I use a sharpie). remove the nut and replace the flange. Tighten the nut till your marks line up. thats the only way to know without removing the carrier and checking your bearing preload before and after the flange change.

I didn't say it would be easy to check preload!:redneck::haha: but it can be done if you're sensitive to movement of the pinion when checking---been there, done that...:;