• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Toyota Starter

If it's just clicking, pull it out and stick a $10 set of contacts in the solenoid (should be able to get them from any rebuilder)...Chances are the contacts are worn out...

If it's just clicking, pull it out and stick a $10 set of contacts in the solenoid (should be able to get them from any rebuilder)...Chances are the contacts are worn out...

Might try this, but it's the original starter. I'm sure it's tired, and it's the wifes DD, I really don't need a call saying she's stuck.

More often then not, I find the contacts are the culprit, and after replacing them (in high mileage OE starters), they work just fine...The armature/brushes on the OE units are pretty tough---Take the starter out, and pop the anodized end cap of the starter off, remove the plunger and take a look at the contacts both on the plunger and inside the housing, if you see a ledge forming on the contact where the plunger hits, chances are they aren't hitting squarely and not providing current flow...You can buy a complete plunger/contact kit for something like $30-40 if both are worn, but often times it's just the contacts...:awesomework:

Thanks all, I'll look into these different options. I know I can throw a set of contacts in it, but it still worries me it might fail sooner then a whole new starter... Really don't need the call saying her car won't start. Come to find out she said it's been doing it for a few days, and now that it's in the garage and won't start THEN she tells me. RRRrrrrrr

Edit - Found a starter at Oriely's, $92+core. That's not too bad.

Last edited:
Wouldn't touch an O'reilly's rotating electrical component for anything...You get what you pay for---more than likely all they replaced were the contacts, then cleaned it up...save your dough...

I would rather fix the origanal one any day than buy a POS after market one that will more than likely be dead within a year.

I would rather fix the origanal one any day than buy a POS after market one that will more than likely be dead within a year.
Been tryin' to tell this guy!!! :haha:
Quoted for the truth...even if you have to take it in to have a builder go thru it, you are much better off...

Werd, what do you think the rebuilders do with oe yota starters? They tear them down, clean everything then toss a set of contacts on a fresh cut comm and send that bitch out the door. Same thing anyone can do for a little time and a few bucks investment.

Typicaly its the contact inside the starter. I have pulled many apart and filed the contact areas and had them last a long time. Only time I have replaced is when the windings in the armature is failed.

Ok Ok Ok, i'm just going through my options! I was just worried about it being 16 years old. I'm a Old School Jeep guy, when my Jeep starter goes out, I go buy a $40 replacement. That's why I'm asking!

Ok Ok Ok, i'm just going through my options! I was just worried about it being 16 years old. I'm a Old School Jeep guy, when my Jeep starter goes out, I go buy a $40 replacement. That's why I'm asking!

Jeep parts are cheap because they need fail regularly while import parts are more expensive due to the low volume of replacement. What can I say, those little yellow people design stuff to last unlike their US counterparts...

Latest posts