• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Toyota Steering Question

Jay Luke

I am converting to hiem joint steering rod ends. Using the high steer knuckles and a "Bunk Built" center link. I've seen it done a couple times but not many. Does anyone on this board run it? Hows it holding up and what sizes did you use? Any quality feedback is appreciated:awesomework:

Last edited:
Well, I dont have a yota, nor a yota axle, but i am running hiem joints on my tie rod. :flipoff: I am using ballistics cheap-o hiems 7/8's with 3/4 inch through hole, with mis-alighnment spacers down to a 5/8 bolt. My tie rod is made out of 1.5x.250 DOM.

I have a few runs out on it and close to 1500 road miles. The joints are still tight and shiny. The bolts have held tight even though they are in single sheer, I plan on putting them in double sheer sometime soon. I built my steering big cause i had a lot of steering issues when with my IFS and i never wanted steering issues again!

I am converting to hiem joint steering rod ends. Using the high steer knuckles and a "Bunk Built" steering bar. I've seen it done a couple times but not many. Does anyone on this board run it? Hows it holding up and what sizes did you use? Any quality feedback is appreciated:awesomework:

What do you mean "steering bar" :eeek:

i ran 3/4 X5/8 heims and never had a problem. i ran some shitty qa1 hiems from ECT after about of year of DD my rig they started to get sloppy

I am converting to hiem joint steering rod ends. Using the high steer knuckles and a "Bunk Built" center link. I've seen it done a couple times but not many. Does anyone on this board run it? Hows it holding up and what sizes did you use? Any quality feedback is appreciated:awesomework:

I ran this setup on my samurai. 3/4 with 5/8ths bolt I think. They wore out and made the rig handle like crap. Seemed fine until they had any play in them. My ball joints are worn out on my toyota now and I can barely tell. When my heims wore out you can here it going over every bump on the road. I'm still going back to my heim joint high steer for strength when I convert to full hydro though. It just sucks when they get any play in them because they get loud.

I ran this setup on my samurai. 3/4 with 5/8ths bolt I think. They wore out and made the rig handle like crap. Seemed fine until they had any play in them. My ball joints are worn out on my toyota now and I can barely tell. When my heims wore out you can here it going over every bump on the road. I'm still going back to my heim joint high steer for strength when I convert to full hydro though. It just sucks when they get any play in them because they get loud.

Alright. good to know. So your saying don't throw away my tie rod ends:;
center link is something on an IFS vehicle (goes between inner/outer tie rod ends).

You are refering to either the tie rod or draglink.

Dammit Crash! yes. You are right. It's the tie-rod not technically a center link or steering bar :fawkdancesmiley::;

i ran 3/4 X5/8 heims and never had a problem. i ran some shitty qa1 hiems from ECT after about of year of DD my rig they started to get sloppy

That's the size I ordered but I bought the strongest I could find. So I guess we'll see how they hold up. thanks fellas. Crash not included:fawkdancesmiley::D

Alright. good to know. So your saying don't throw away my tie rod ends:;

Dammit Crash! yes. You are right. It's the tie-rod not technically a center link or steering bar :fawkdancesmiley::;

Just trying to mkae sure you know whats what. May help you down the road :awesomework:

I run right and left hand heims on tie rod. 3/4".

I have never had one fail, and have only changed 1 due to excesive wear.
I have changed them once before, just because it seamed like the time, but kept the old ones as spares.

I run a 5/8 heim on my pitman arm. Never broken, never worn out, never an issue.

My rig has 4 years on it.

I ran a solid CroMo Bunkyfab tie rod with 3/4 x 3/4 qa1 CroMo heims. I needed misalignment spacers to get the tie rod off the springs and to drop the bolt size down to 5/8" for the arms.

Never had an issue with full hydro and 42's. :D.

If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!:kissmyass::hi:
My hydro-assist is raping my tie rod ends!
Or fix it BEFORE you break it. Speaking of, weld on those perches yet Jason?
They are good to go:redneck:
I ran a solid CroMo Bunkyfab tie rod with 3/4 x 3/4 qa1 CroMo heims. I needed misalignment spacers to get the tie rod off the springs and to drop the bolt size down to 5/8" for the arms.

Never had an issue with full hydro and 42's. :D.

No doubt:cool:

It didnt work, He went and got weld in bungs. :booo:

:eeek: bummer

ya i was run a bunk solid cromo tie rod and a marlin hysteer drag link, needless to say no more bad tierod end and deff not bending that tie rod:cool:

Last edited:
After Joe gave me a tie rod as a wedding gift on the yota I didn't even think about the tie rod on the 60. Even though it had a decent looking hollow with welded bung setup I still made the call and paid for a bad ass tie rod. :D

Joe you have 7/8" taps? I think I have decided on the new tierod again. :redneck: