• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Trailer: Tandem Dual to 17.5 Single?

B Gillespie

Anyone converted? One of the goosenecks is tandem dual; pondering switching it to 17.5 singles. Most 17.5 trailer tires have at least 5k lb. carrying capacity, so I dont think I would lose much, if any, over the current 10 ply radials.

The trailer has heavy duty oil bath axles, and I *think* the wheels aren't your standard 8x6.5. The bolt pattern is obviously the same, but they aren't traditional wheels like you would find on a dually pickup.

Any potential negatives?

Looking for wheel and tires sources that won't require a second mortgage on my house or look at me like I'm a re-tard when I ask them for something uncommon.
Southwest Wheel & Tire? Quality Trailer?

Edit: Alcoa part # 665401 for conical lug nuts and # 665405 for flat is the 17.5/8-lug single.

I kinda feel like Kelly especially after talking about it this weekend Gillispie. 17.5's are legit, but they aint the easiest tire to find in West Texas without a motel stay....

17.5s work well if your willing to spend a **** ton on tires. My buddy tried them on one of his commercial trailers and went a little cheap and it did not work out. They are tough to find when you are in the middle of BFE also. As kelly stated, if you run tandems and have a flat you can stil get to the house.. I love those oil bath axles. Have you had good luck with them?

Truth. Every tater tire shop has a 235/85/16; I would even bet the used tire shop in an apartment unit on 20th and shepherd has one. :****:

I love the Dexter oil bath axles, seems like they run cooler and have less rolling resistence, but could be placebo effect.

I just purchased a new 30' gooseneck and it has 17.5 singles....they are really nice, load range j 18 ply, I got a spare tire and wheel and that was 300$ im thinkin that when I replace all four tires im gonna hafta take out a loan! The sales man told me that alot of people are bringing their duals back and converting to these singles cuz there's less rolling resistance and you only hafta replace 4 instead of 8 tires but I have never had a dually trailer to know the difference in towing

jimmysmithbuggy049.jpg

We were runnIng brimstone duravus on our trailer and having no issues. I was in the tree hauling business . We would haul 16,000 pounds on a 32' pj gooseneck that weighed 8,300 pounds to as far west as Texas and Oklahoma, I live in Georgia. They were not cheap but they would wear out before a blowout. I would not trust a single tire trailer on long distance runs, just like I would only tow that far with a dually.