• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Trailer tech?

skipnrocks

So I am going to build a light weight ish car trailer I can pull my buggy on. But I need some specs. I am going to build a 20 ft trailer using 95 in wheel mount surface axles. the question is how far back do the wheels sit to allow proper tongue weight and how much distance of deck should I have? Or will I have to wait on wheels and axles to come here to make sure? The wheels are a 15in and the axles have 95 in between wms. I ordered wheels and axles today but hoped to build the frame this week while. Waiting.

I'd say split the deck 55/45 if it will be equally loaded fore and aft of center..
Should give it 10-12% tongue weight empty... Then make sure your rig can fit loaded with the same weight distribution or slightly further forward.

I like about 15-20% tongue weight when towing as long as the tow vehicle can handle the weight.

I had a old school trailer fabricator tell me 60/40 was the rule when I built my 16' utility trailer. It pulls and loads great.

That's a great video. Thanks for the input guys. That's a huge help.

Now if I can just get the distance between wheels so I can build the deck while I wait on all my stuff to come.

I can go along with 60/40 too... That would give a little more tongue weight... Just make sure the deck is long enough to adjust the load fore/aft as needed for loaded tongue weight.

Personally I wouldn't build the deck till I had the suspension done.

Provided the axles you have, or are purchasing, come with the spring perches already welded on, I don't see why you can't build the deck while you wait. If purchasing, the spring perch width is usually listed. Just set frame width to match spring perches, and start building. I would try to put one of the cross members in where the equalizer mount will be located, since that is the point of highest stress.