i have a lathe

also have a cheep hf tubeing notcher

and i also have a old drill press that i could do something with

so been doing some thinking

maybe order 2 of thease http://www.grizzly.com/products/G1065

and then order one of thease http://www.grizzly.com/products/G5971

and see what i can come up with ??

do you have any ideas??

i use the cheap hf notcher with a big fawking drill right now and when that thing lets loose well it can fawk you up.

so im trying to get away from the drill and go to something that mite work better.

now if i go with using the lathe for now i could jsut use hole saws like i have been doing and go the the end mill bits later (i guess i could do the same for the old drill press also)

does anyone else have any ideas on a i guess home made tube notcher??

i really like thins one but lots of cash http://vansantent.com/tube_coping_machines/TN1000.htm

was thinking about ordering one of the NOTCH MASTERS form jd2 but it only does angles up to 50°

How often do you notch past 50??? I'd say 45 is enough, for the occasional 60 what's wrong with pulling out the old and busted?

I hope your drill press puts out some ass busting torque... Mine doesn't, so I have to fight the magnum hole shooter. Brutal :D

i get your point how often do you guys ever notch anything over 50? and what you think the best notcher would be that would hold up to doing a hole lot of notching ???

dan

darius said:
How often do you notch past 50??? I'd say 45 is enough, for the occasional 60 what's wrong with pulling out the old and busted?

my buddie made one using his lathe and using the carriage to clamp the tube to so it could be fed into the mill in the chuck. it does work but is really really slow. i could notch and grind three to his one. his were not really that much better.

i think the tube holding device is the most important part. the chaep HF one is not really centered under the hole saw so it cuts a notch slightly off center which requires some grinding.

if you are gonna do lots get the good one.

the tube shark notcher is a real nice piece. I don't think it would take much to duplicate that piece. a standard chassis get's 5 notches over 45, and about 150 at 45 and under.

Yo dan....

don't waste your money on buying anything new... serious....

I know you are more than capable of making something like I did.... It took me a few hours and it was easily one of the most worth-while things I've made, period...

Just Do it.... this things an animal.... if you have at least two fingers you can notch tube so fast it will blow your mind.... angles that reflect the tube into the floor (wide hoop for example) swap the clamp to the other side... easy as pie :flipoff:

I made the cut angle larger than the HF POS too...

The pivot points are bolts, you can see the nut on top.

The handle and gear mech. is from a small arbor press... maybe 20 bucks at most used. they are everywhere if you look.

The Bolt to hold the clamping mechanism has a nut welded to the bottom so there is no continuous grief of needing two wrenches to tighten it each time you change angles... this nut swings underneath in the correct arc... I got a pic if you don't understand.

DSC01567.jpg

DSC01570.jpg

and a view from the drivers seat...

DSC01576.jpg