• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

U4 vs bouncers at koh??

jabnasty said:
Most rock bouncers will destroy the right side

molaugh We'll see how many accomplish that. My bet is zero.

Remember, you can't get a run at this rock. It's not just about hammering down on a smooth trail to build speed up to the hill and then hoping for the best.

My bet is that the race is won or lost on the rocks before backdoor. The guys with untuned suspensions and too much tire pressure are going to be in for a real surprise when they can't even keep it pointed in the right direction.

My bet is on Randy Slawson. He has last year's KOH-wining car to enter in this contest (assuming it doesn't sell before then). Then he parks that and drives his brand new rig in KOH. I know the bouncer crowd doesn't care if they break their junk, but most of the guys that have to race KOH a few days later aren't going to risk breaking their cars just for this.

Going to be a great show, I can't wait.

knaffie said:
My bet is that the race is won or lost on the rocks before backdoor. The guys with untuned suspensions and too much tire pressure are going to be in for a real surprise when they can't even keep it pointed in the right direction.

I've seen this tire pressure comment enough times it makes me wonder what the assumption of pressure we run is. What do you guys think tire pressure we run in a hill killer is versus the tire pressure we run in a U4 car??

Re:

You can't compare PSI directly between a 44" TSL / hill killer tire and a 40" Krawler / U4 tire. I have owned them both and know that what is correct in one is definitely not correct in the other.

I don't know how much they run, but when I see a rig launch 10 feet in the air and land on its front tires on a rock and the side walls don't even flex, that is way too much. It's not hard to tell when a rigs tires are too hard. I get what they do isn't crawling, so more is necessary, but a lot of them are still ridiculously hard.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Re: Re: U4 vs bouncers at koh??

It doesn't matter if the tire has 5psi or 50psi if it is turn 50+ mph. You will never see tire flex at that speed

Pumpkin said:
It doesn't matter if the tire has 5psi or 50psi if it is turn 50+ mph. You will never see tire flex at that speed

I don't see very many rigs landing on the gas after getting big air. If you want to break your junk, that's the best way to do it.

Re: Re: Re: U4 vs bouncers at koh??

knaffie said:
I don't see very many rigs landing on the gas after getting big air. If you want to break your junk, that's the best way to do it.
We see it a lot around here, that it why they build the bouncers so tough. Have some broke doing it? Yes, but the beef up there weak links when they break

Re: Re: U4 vs bouncers at koh??

Not saying the U4 cars ain't tough. But each type is built for a specific type of abuse.

knaffie said:
You can't compare PSI directly between a 44" TSL / hill killer tire and a 40" Krawler / U4 tire. I have owned them both and know that what is correct in one is definitely not correct in the other.

I don't know how much they run, but when I see a rig launch 10 feet in the air and land on its front tires on a rock and the side walls don't even flex, that is way too much. It's not hard to tell when a rigs tires are too hard. I get what they do isn't crawling, so more is necessary, but a lot of them are still ridiculously hard.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Again I ask...what do you think these tires are running for pressure on race day?

I will throw my .02 in. I am a huge fan of any sport that has a motor in it. I have seen many rock bouncer on here for sale for 30 k. Good ones. I don't believe I have ever seen an ultra 4 car for less than 90 k, and those are not the ones you will see in the race this year. Most u4 cars are one off and cost up to 250 k to build. Most rock bouncers are cookie cut with single untuned shocks. Both cars have similar power. We build bouncers that almost anybody with a will can own and wheel one. That being said, how can you compare an ultra 4 car to a bouncer? wouldn't that be like me racing John Force? Let's make the next duel be at Toms AOP bounty hill. I love bouncer, big time, and u4 cars too, but it's not a fair comparison . I think a lot of bouncers are tuning there suspension and you'll see more and more going faster and faster. See you all at backdoor monday night!

halcat said:
Let's make the next duel be at Toms AOP bounty hill. I love bouncer, big time, and u4 cars too, but it's not a fair comparison .

I second that that'd be a test to see em do that

crawlin85cj said:
Again I ask...what do you think these tires are running for pressure on race day?

I would like to know that also. I will definitely have to bump my pressure up from the 7psi that I normally run.

Cole said:
Hell my wife ran that much at all the SRRS events and climed cable hill with 20lbs in both front tires.

You have to run that much or the damn things pinch and tear the sidewall on the first rock you hit. laughing1. 15 - 20 PSI is about right in a 39" Krawler. 20 PSI in a TSL is way too much.