• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Unofficial DNR/Reiter Rocky Buggy

My initial idea was this:

1. Mount a log grappler to the rear of my rig, along with a protective plate for the butt end of the log.

2. Put 300psi (50psi more than I run at ride height) of nitrogen into my rear shocks.

3. Using my rear suspension suck-down winch......lower the grappler (and the entire rear end of the vehicle) to the ground and hook the butt end of the log.

4. Release the rear winch pressure on the rear suspension. Now, the (additional) pressure in the air shocks will lift the log a few inches off the ground and make it "easy" to drag. Drag it into place.

5. Suck down the rear winch, lowering the log to the ground, and un-hooking the log.

Move on to the next log.

:corn:

I dont know much bout link setups. . . do u really think your shocks would really be able to lift up a heavy ass log???

I was thinking maybe sumthing along the lines of almost like a shovel end that u would lower down let it slide under the bottom of the log and use a small whinch to lift the arm maybe a few inches off the ground. . . its all about leverage i think ur tiny little winch could lift a but end of a log a few inches off the ground. . .

I don't know much bout link setups. . . do u really think your shocks would really be able to lift up a heavy ass log???

My rear shocks already support the rear end of my buggy (1000lbs)......so yes, I do. And just like a mule pulling a log, momentum of my rig and drag by the rear of the log will "raise" the hooked end for the actual pull.:;

Just FYI for all.......the logs being moved are rarely over 10 feet long and 12 inches wide. Most are smaller.

I don't think we need a huge amount of force.....just simple efficiency.

KISS (keep it simple stupid):redneck:

Last edited:
i got an old ramsey 6000 or 8000lb winch with a roller fairlead to. if your lookin for a winch still? it only spools out right now though. I think it just needs a solenoid or some ****, havent really looked into it. Im sure somone helpin yah, could figure out whats wrong with it and have you skiddin logs in no time.
just throwin that out there for ya :awesomework:

My rear shocks already support the rear end of my buggy (1000lbs)......so yes, I do. And just like a mule pulling a log, momentum of my rig and drag by the rear of the log will "raise" the hooked end for the actual pull.:;

Just FYI for all.......the logs being moved are rarely over 10 feet long and 12 inches wide. Most are smaller.

I don't think we need a huge amount of force.....just simple efficiency.

KISS (keep it simple stupid):redneck:

well hell in that case. . . this should take us maybe a weekend to put all together with the right guys involved!! looking forward to this!! great idea man!! mad props

:fawkdancesmiley:

toyskid.jpg

I did not even notice my rig was photo chopped on that till now.:haha: And that's me wrenching on it!

F-n awesomeness:cool:

Oh...and don't worry. I will have the GoPro video camera mounted and recording for how this thing works in the field.:awesomework:

Everyone will get to see a vid of the fruits of their labor.

My initial idea was this:

1. Mount a log grappler to the rear of my rig, along with a protective plate for the butt end of the log.

2. Put 300psi (50psi more than I run at ride height) of nitrogen into my rear shocks.

3. Using my rear suspension suck-down winch......lower the grappler (and the entire rear end of the vehicle) to the ground and hook the butt end of the log.

4. Release the rear winch pressure on the rear suspension. Now, the (additional) pressure in the air shocks will lift the log a few inches off the ground and make it "easy" to drag. Drag it into place.

5. Suck down the rear winch, lowering the log to the ground, and un-hooking the log.

Move on to the next log.

:corn:

I'll add another aspect of my vision:

Unless it is approved by the team leader, my rig will NOT be going off the existing trails we are Restoring. Many of these logs being used will still have to be winched from outside the corridor. So having a 6000lbs+ winch on the rear would make things much more efficient.

I would use this rear mounted winch to pull the log closer to the grasps of the log grappler, a team mate would then unhook the winch and hook up the log grappler....following the steps listed above.

Mount your little hook thingy grabber off the rear diff. Much stronger than the rest of your chassis.

You're correct, my chassis is well used and not-the-best.

Any ideas of how to make that axle mount removable? Think my bent links and trashed heims would like all those forces? And remeber....I have steering stuff back there.:; It's very busy.

Last edited:
I'll add another aspect of my vision:

Unless it is approved by the team leader, my rig will NOT be going off the existing trails we are Restoring. Many of these logs being used will still have to be winched from outside the corridor. So having a 6000lbs+ winch on the rear would make things much more efficient.

I would use this rear mounted winch to pull the log closer to the grasps of the log grappler, a team mate would then unhook the winch and hook up the log grappler....following the steps listed above.

One more key point:

This extra winch would be mounted to the roof of my chassis.:D

As you drag a log with a "frame mounted" winch, unless the ground is perfectly level, you're pulling the butt end of the log into the ground at times.....and it rolls around "off line". This makes things very frustrating for the ground workers and creates unnecessary ground damage.

With the winch mounted on the top, I will be better able to winch a log unencumbered by the humps and bumps in the ground.

Last edited:
So I got the 15Ton hydro winch sitting here
Got a 6' boom for the loader, If I haven't bent it you won't
Also got a 9k and 9.5 K winch

What do you think a 10' long 12" dia. log weighs? I have no idea.

While this project sounds like fun and all....is it really needed? Wrap a strap around the log and winch or drag it to where you want it. Done.

Disclaimer: I hate the idea of closing trails(albeit I've never ran Reiter) without so much as an overall plan and an approx. reopening date.

So I got the 15Ton hydro winch sitting here
Got a 6' boom for the loader, If I haven't bent it you won't
Also got a 9k and 9.5 K winch

Who are you again?

:redneck:

Thanks. I'll keep you posted.

And please, let us know what you think might work best. I hear you have some experience.:;

Ty came over last night to drop stuff off.

FastEddy just left after dropping off his donation.

Much appreciated!

Disclaimer: I hate the idea of closing trails(albeit I've never ran Reiter) without so much as an overall plan and an approx. reopening date.

Then focus on the capabilities of this vehicle being able to make you new trails.:;