• Yes, I'd pay a yearly pass for $50-$100

Votes: 74 55.2%
  • Yes, I'd pay a yearly pass for $150-$250

Votes: 29 21.6%
  • Nope, I'll wheel for free thanks

Votes: 16 11.9%

• Total voters

japerry

The DNR sustainability meeting brought up user fees as a way to help fund our recreational activities.

Who here would be willing to pay a daily user fee, who would pay a for an annual pass, fee (yearly fee), etc? -- Assume the daily use fee would be for an ORV area like 'old' reiter -- hard, lots of trails, etc.

It is a multiple choice poll. Please select all the options you'd pay if yes. If no, ONLY choose NO!

This is all in theory. Ignore things like staffing, logistical collection issues, etc... if you had to 'pay-to-play', would you and how much?

would you be willing to pay for use fee for a place like Walker valley?

Last edited:
The DNR sustainability meeting brought up user fees as a way to help fund our recreational activities.

Who here would be willing to pay a daily user fee, who would pay a for an annual pass, fee (yearly fee), etc? -- Assume the daily use fee would be for an ORV area like 'old' reiter -- hard, lots of trails, etc.

would you be willing to pay for use fee for a place like Walker valley?

I have always been a supporter of user fees and pay to play. Unfortunately as far as the DNR is concerned it will take a bill through the legislature to make that happen. This is at least what we were told by Doug Southerland (past lands commissioner)

I have always been a supporter of user fees and pay to play. Unfortunately as far as the DNR is concerned it will take a bill through the legislature to make that happen. This is at least what we were told by Doug Southerland (past lands commissioner)

Yup, this is all in theory ;-) :awesomework:

I would gladly pay a use fee as long as it's reasonable:cool:

And thats where I wonder where reasonable is. For instance, I'd pay $5-$10 to goto Walker.. but I'd pay more like 15-20 to goto a place like Reiter. The difficulty and abundance of trails make it worth more.

The problem i see with this is like at the National forests as i was told from a ranger, they can't afford to pay someone to patrol to make sure people pay the user park fees (national park passes etc) I had paid for mine coming in to camp late one night, went to the ranger station in the morning and they said, "thanks for paying, but you really didnt need to since we really cant afford to make sure you pay, we cant afford the man power."

SO that being said....

And thats where I wonder where reasonable is. For instance, I'd pay $5-$10 to goto Walker.. but I'd pay more like 15-20 to goto a place like Reiter. The difficulty and abundance of trails make it worth more.

even then i think it needs to be a closer priced fee, like say $8-$12 across the board, not $5-$15.

even then i think it needs to be a closer priced fee, like say $8-$12 across the board, not $5-$15.

The problem is anything under $15 is not sustainable. Based on current attendance numbers, there isn't a way that under $15 will work to be fully self-sustainable. I was thinking about offering a lower option, but that just drives people away and doesn't generate enough revenue.

Here's another question: Would you pay to wheel, similar to paying to ski (which is usually WAY higher... like $40-$60/day or $500-900/yr)?

I guess it depends on how you look at it hell I pay $5 to park and launch my boat in everett and other places are more expensive than that. So in saying that a kao campsite is 20 something a night i believe not sure just guessing and they have no trails to drive out of camp and wheel. So yes in a place like reiter if fees guarantee'd it would stay open yes I would be more than happy to pay them. :awesomework:

The problem i see with this is like at the National forests as i was told from a ranger, they can't afford to pay someone to patrol to make sure people pay the user park fees (national park passes etc) I had paid for mine coming in to camp late one night, went to the ranger station in the morning and they said, "thanks for paying, but you really didnt need to since we really cant afford to make sure you pay, we cant afford the man power."

SO that being said....

I know of lots of people both wheelers and (shudder) hikers that have been ticketed for not having the NW forest pass. Stopped at Denny creek one time when there was like 200 cars parked and seen about 50 with tickets on the windshield. Differant districts seem to have differant enforcement but you never know when its gonna catch up to you.

Good point.....I personaly would pay a yearly fee for all access.

Question... would the pass be for the rig or the driver? transferable for peeps that have more than one wheeler?:stirpot:

Same thing I have been told.

If anything I wish they would look at how oregon does it. Alot of folks are able to use the ORV areas without paying as much into them as folks who pay for ORV tabs

I would be willing to pay to play but your poll is so very vague on where when what

I would not be in favor of any daily fees only although I understand if you are out of area and you want to play for a day or 2 and you don't need a yearly pass but just make the yearly pass low enough that users could just buy the yearly pass...

How about just a yearly parking fee?
Or do like Oregon and make all rigs get an ORV pass even if they have a license and even if they are out of state?

What orv areas would be covered? I only ask this because I pay for the NW Forest pass each year but that doesn't cover Rimrock. Which cost another $15-$30 on top of what I already paid for the forest pass.

Aside from all the BS analogies of "I'm aleady paying a fee" and, the "they dun stoled ur NOVA funds"........I'd be willing pay a premium to have a local "closed circut" wheeling area.

Pay to play......is A-Ok.:awesomework:

What orv areas would be covered? I only ask this because I pay for the NW Forest pass each year but that doesn't cover Rimrock. Which cost another $15-$30 on top of what I already paid for the forest pass.

I wasnt aware of a seperate user fee for Rimrock :eeek: Please explain

Northwest Rec pass only provide for trailhead parking and facilities. No monies from those funds goes towards trails.

Aside from all the BS analogies of "I'm aleady paying a fee" and, the "they dun stoled ur NOVA funds"........I'd be willing pay a premium to have a local "closed circut" wheeling area.

Pay to play......is A-Ok.:awesomework:

Restore Nova and DNR would have the funds required to maintain current levels of recreation. Continued Nova funds could be granted for new facilities.

Give the state management of a new user fee and watch it get stolen!!