• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

waggy 44s ?

97f250

have a question on wagoneer 44s... how wide are they and would they bolt under a cj if the perches were moved at most? and are they good axles

Depends, there were both narrow and wide versions, 58" or 61" The spring perches are 32", about 4" wider than the CJ perches. Most people that swap them in (if they keep them full width) move the spring hangers out to match the perches. Also, Wagoneers came in both passenger and driver drop front diff's (Driver drop about '80, off the top of my head). The perch on the diff is cast into the housing, so if you don't want to outboard, the long side will need narrowed.

Yes, they are good axles, within their limits. Depends on what you are going to do, how big your tires are, how many horses you got, and how much you love the stupid pedal. I have no idea what equipment you are looking to replace, but the stock AMC 20 rear has a slightly larger ring and pinion. The big problem with the AMC 20 is the tubes were designed too thin, and the tubes can spin in the housing. AMC also tried to save money by using 2 piece rear axles, and the hub can spin on the axles. Truss it, stitch weld the tubes, add one piece axles, and it's a better axle than the 44.

The front Dana 30... Don't waste your money. Yes, people use them. I have one, and don't plan to swap, but I bought it after someone else dumped about $1100 into it. I don't ever plan on running bigger than 35" tires on it.

If you plan on going much over 35" tires, you might think about skipping the 44's and going straight to Dana 60's, but unless you get big enough (more than 37" tires, IMO), you lose too much in ground clearance to make them worthwhile.

Of course, that's my opinion, and everyone else's stinks but mine...
AND
Information collected from the internet is worth EXACTLY what you paid for it.

Last edited:

Latest posts