• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Walker, Ron's Run Re-route....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I just got off the phone with Elyse, explained the concerns and the possible fix (to which I gave you credit for bringing up as the option Jakob)...she's on board with taking a look at it and she will be getting in touch with me once she's checked it out, and she's also stated there will be 'this is not a trail' signs up on the recent blocking of the swale...
Initially, when I brought up the concerns there was talk of closing the trail until the repairs/bypass/whatever can be done...I told her this is NOT the answer, and a bypass for the logs makes the best sense...That's when she said she'd look at it and let me know. Also, if this does go forward, the bypass will need to be 'hardened' with some of the material so it doesn't just turn into another hard line---we have all seen that the duff up there goes deep...
Jakob, Do not just go up there and 'fix' this....wait until I hear back from her. You'll be the first to know...
Thanks you MTblazer and crew for doin' your part! :awesomework:

And knowing this Jacob intends to just ignore the rest of us and do what he wants possibly closing the trail.:rolleyes:
It's STUPID **** like this that gets you to loose your credibility. Pull your head out man!!

I figured he was referring to the 2-3' of log stick out, he intended to cut, that the DNR(?) didn't want cut.

OK then.:awesomework:
I'll try to spell out what I think I understand out of all of this.
History- Many different user groups and categories within each group. Everyone has a different idea of what a given trail should be like and they're all right. Bikes/ quads don't want big holes and rocks, logs, etc in the trail because it's hard for them to transverse. "Hard core" wheelers want the trail to be torn to **** and make it more of a challenge while more stockish wheelers want to say that they drove the hard core trail without pulling a cable or their just too lazy to do so. Try to maintain a trail to a standard and EVERYONE screams "trail paving!!!".
This trail- is open to everyone. This reroute is due to a small wash that the DNR didn't want us to repair. Supposedly when this reroute started the bikes and quads were to have access to the old route so we could make a short section of trail appealing to wheelers. An attempt was made to make optional lines in the reroute so "hard core" and "stockers" could both enjoy the trail. The reroute is unfinished at this time but it seems that a small section has eroded to a point where "stockers" need to winch even on the easy line. The DNR (or someone) installed signage and a tank trap to keep the bikes/ quads from using the original trail route so now they have to try and get past the reroute. Due to the erosion bikes-quads-stockers have made a small go around which is now actually three different routes including the intended two built into the trail. Lesson here is you're NEVER going to be able to accommodate everyone on a single trail.
The DNR has preplanned that this trail will be temporarily closed if it gets eroded too much before we get a chance to finish the trail. Rather than have it temporarily closed a user has suggested to do some maintenance and to temporarily block the new bypass which would keep the bikes and quads out while requiring the stockers to use a winch.
Some users want to leave the bypass as is which may or may not result in temporary closure of the trail. Some users are concerned that using volunteer effort to temporarily block this new bypass may not be the best use of volunteer labor.

For this specific spot I don't see a big deal with blocking the bypass or leaving it as is and maybe have a closure.
In the big picture however I do see an issue with users creating bypasses in a designated ORV park. One little bypass here is OK then clearly another one over there will be OK too. Wait three lines isn't enough because another category of a user group still has to put effort into getting through the trail so they just make another bypass.
If this kind of **** continues Walker will soon look like Reiter and probably be closed as well.

That's the real issue and we should do everything we can to keep it from happening even if it's closing the same bypass several times.

:corn:
Rick, you nailed it....:cool:

Rick, you nailed it....:cool:

The sad part is, I've heard reports from the forest service, this now at DNR, and more recent problems at Tahuya, all of which point to the fawk it we'll drive anywhere we want wheeler.

The volume of damage in other areas has increased since Reiter closed. :rolleyes:

I figured he was referring to the 2-3' of log stick out, he intended to cut, that the DNR(?) didn't want cut.

No, it's just going out there and doing something because he feels like it's his right to just fix a seen issue without going thru the proper channels...The end of the log is not their concern...and who knows, maybe another option is their that was missed???...it's following the proper channels that's their concern.
Jakob, all it would take is one phone call, and go meet with her on this...you know, act like an adult...

The sad part is, I've heard reports from the forest service, this now at DNR, and more recent problems at Tahuya, all of which point to the fawk it we'll drive anywhere we want wheeler.

The volume of damage in other areas has increased since Reiter closed. :rolleyes:

Yes, we've all known that...no new news there...

No, it's just going out there and doing something because he feels like it's his right to just fix a seen issue without going thru the proper channels...The end of the log is not their concern...and who knows, maybe another option is their that was missed???...it's following the proper channels that's their concern.
Jakob, all it would take is one phone call, and go meet with her on this...you know, act like an adult...

already done :awesomework:

Well it dumped snow last night :booo: Theres about 6" up there. We'll have to wait until it gets clear, which right now is probably not until the first weekend of March.

wanna try to get it fixed asap. the second weekend is swap meet, so most won't be around for that.

I'd aim for the weekend after, but the weather still is tending to have snow stick around above 500ft until the end of Feb.

Rick--get your broken POS fixed so ya can come out and wheel :redneck:

What he said! :awesomework:
BTW, I do have that scout at the house :; (haven't even pd for it yet!:haha:)...just need time to pull the trans, then part the rest out...

I'm almost ready to go back out.I forgot to tell you the cage you made me works :redneck: real good grab oh **** bar and away you go :redneck:

Hell, we had more than one smaller-tired rig run the right path with a little winching (part of the game we play).....there's no need to blast a trail. If someone breaks on a trail (sorry to hear Doug!), that's also part of the game we play...

I love this line.... I agree 100%....I think a lot of people forget why we build our rigs to go wheelin'.......If your rig is not a equipped for the trail then go on a trail that it is equipped for......maybe like the easy trails....no reason to ruin everyone's time just because you don't have the proper stuff to wheel on that trail ........ what it is all about in my mind.....Break it - Make it or Roll it...... :redneck:

Don't make a good trail easier :eeek: ......we already have MILES of easy stuff...... Keep it hard and or make it harder....... :beer: :cool:

I love this line.... I agree 100%....I think a lot of people forget why we build our rigs to go wheelin'.......If your rig is not a equipped for the trail then go on a trail that it is equipped for......maybe like the easy trails....no reason to ruin everyone's time just because you don't have the proper stuff to wheel on that trail ........ what it is all about in my mind.....Break it - Make it or Roll it...... :redneck:

Don't make a good trail easier :eeek: ......we already have MILES of easy stuff...... Keep it hard and or make it harder....... :beer: :cool:

The biggest issue is that Walker Valley only has really one 'loop trail' . Because of this, its really hard to get hard stuff, because everyone (including ST and ATV) use the damn 4x4 loop. This also means we -need- to have an easy way, otherwise people get backed up on the loop causing others to say f' this and bypass around.

An exception to this is expressway. You can keep taking lower mainline for the easier rigs, or take expressway if you're built for it. I think we should make the whole expressway trail hard. If you're not equipped, stay on upper mainline.

Expanding on expressway, I'd like to eventually more small loops that come off of the big loop. Design a steep rock climb in the re-route area that requires 35+ tires. Put a hard trail that comes off of Timber tamer trail that cuts up to the road. Make a hard route that loops off of ez-valley connector, etc.

This way we have a loop trail that can be 'fairly' hardened and/or have bypasses and some obstacles, while the harder smaller loops have gatekeepers and signs so unequipped rigs don't enter in there.

You'll never avoid the 10% or so who will make their own bypasses no matter what. (this WILL be a problem at Reiter). But at least have enough options so that the excuse to make a bypass is diminished.

and to respond about winches.. I think they should be needed on hard trails that have low traffic (and/or people can get around). but not the loop trail.

Because we have so little trail and so many rigs, peope get clogged up. If you have stuck group of 10, then another group of 10 come up behind them -- they will not wait an hour for the first group to go. It just isn't going to happen. Bamo presto, you have a bypass made.

This is also why having obsticles on high traffic trails that require winches is not a good idea. If there is a group behind, we need the group ahead to get out of the way. Those who can make it, go. Those who can't, go around. You turn a hour long winch fest into a 15 minute pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts