• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

water pump

the dude

My dad has a 2004 grand cherokee with the 4.0 and has had to replace the water pump twice in 130,000 miles. The first water pump had a leak and the second one the plastic internals broke. Is there a pump that doesnt have plastic internals that he can upgrade to?

From what I see, even the parts store WP's have the plastic impeller. Is he getting them from the dealer or a parts store? Most of the parts store's come with a lifetime warranty.

The last one broke when they were at the coast for the weekend so he had the nearest shop put one in. So he's not even sure whats in there right now. I'm not sure where he got the first one from.

I put a cheepie master pro I think? (Came from schucks and thats mostly who we deal with at work) Waterpump in a cherokee.....it was a steel impeller:eeek:

Maybe shop around a bit

has the heater core ever been replaced? i know it sounds weird but the wj's are notorious for bad heater cores, they rot and corrode and could possibly mess other things up

We replaced the pump on my sons 2005 at 60,000. I researched a little and it seems they commonly don't last a long time. At least they are easy to change. :D

I was just throwing it out there... I've seen some weird crap with that generation cooling system. I was also not thinking clearly when I was reading the numbers... That does not sound uncommon to replace it 2 times jn that amount of miles