• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What are the rules about camping off forest roads?

dma251

I have been thinking about driving up one of the old logging/forest roads outside of Granite Falls or Darrington and staying overnight to take my kid star-watching and get away from electronic devices for a night.

I have a discovery pass, and can't get far from the road with my 2wd vehicle, but I'm not sure about what the regulations are about that.

Its been a decade since I've done any camping, and it seems like there are a lot more rules than there used to be... The last thing I need is to get rousted by a ranger in the middle of the night.

It depends on what land you are on, most USFS land has despersed camping meaning you can camp most anywhere as long as you are not building anything or leaving a mess. I am not sure about DNR, I do not think they have the same rule, they usually only want you in a campground.

First off, the Disco pass is only good for state land and most state land around here (Arlington/Darrington) you will need a key to drive on. In the Darrington area you can try and head up N Mountain Rd. and then the road turns into NF-2811 and hike the rest of the way up to the old fire lookout as I think they have installed a gate about 1 mile before the tower. I would get a forest pass for this. Or you could head up Upper Con... cant remember the real road name for this, just know how to get there. Or you could take a Left at white horse and head out Swede Heaven Rd. and then take a Right on NF-18. This will take you up to the cell tower or Segelson Ridge or Deer creek pass. Lots of fun driving up there.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, I spent a huge part of my teens and twenties driving up on North Mt and Swede Haven. I grew up in Arlington.

I would like to go revisit those areas in Darrington, but I live closer to Granite falls now, so I'm thinking about driving out the 41 Road off Mt Loop.

I'm not interested in hiking. I'm sleeping in my rig. I just want to find a nice place to go enjoy a quiet evening to either get closer to my family, or take a break from them;)

Arrive late afternoon, depart as soon as my coffee is hot and I clean up in the morning.

Think micro-camping

Not sure what Chop is getting at... but anyway...

FS41 is washed out at about the 8th mile in. I did 3 fingers a few weeks ago and had to ride my bike almost 10 miles to the trail head. If you dont mind "camping" at the ROAD CLOSED sign then that is an option. Really popular area on the weekends tho fyi.

Chop's probably thinking I might just be looking for a good place to cook up some meth or leave my garbage. Sadly, it's a reasonable thought considering how many shitbags are out there using the backcountry for nefarious purposes. Not this camper.

I have been out of the world of wheeling and exploring for a few years, and now I am just trying to follow the rules and not find myself woken by some ranger and told to pack up in the middle of the night. When I was younger I didn't care so much about when and where I went, but now I find it makes my life easier by asking questions and trying to follow the rules . It just seems like nowadays there are a lot more rules then there used to be about what you can and can't do.

I don't want to camp at a gate, and I definitely don't want to be disturbed or disturb anyone else. Im just looking for a nice place I can enjoy the night and not have to hike in.

Mark, isn't green mt. Rd the same as NF-41? Green Mt Rd or NF-41 is washed out at Canyon creek. 8 miles from the hwy.

Last edited:
My greentrails map shows 41 splits off into 4110 a few miles off the hwy.

I'm going to head up there this weekend to recon.

Hey Mark, I bought a transfercase from you a couple years ago. Much thanks!

I just figured I'd add that you can't sleep in your car when dispersed camping on usfs land. You have to sleep in a tent.

You're right, I searched and couldn't find anything in writing, but that was what the fsleo told me when he woke me up from sleeping in my car at 3 bridges on the carbon river. The other incident I was thinking of was a friend that got a ticket for sleeping in his car, but it was at the mowich lake parking lot, come to think of it. Carry on.

You're right, I searched and couldn't find anything in writing, but that was what the fsleo told me when he woke me up from sleeping in my car at 3 bridges on the carbon river. The other incident I was thinking of was a friend that got a ticket for sleeping in his car, but it was at the mowich lake parking lot, come to think of it. Carry on.

Might have been park cops (rangers) different rules in the parks. were you at the trailhead (end of road) ?