• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What did I screw up in my clutch

Nuzzy

Tonight I finally got to the point of putting my clutch linkage back together for my T5. Visually everything looks better than it ever has but when I went to test the pedal, it felt as if there was no clutch (i.e. the only resistance was the light return springs). I can manually push the arm coming out of the tranny easily so the issue has got to be internal. I don't remember any outstanding problems with the clutch before sitting the jeep :scratchhead:

The only things that have changed are:

-sensor wire unplugged from tranny (which I don't believe plugged into anything anyways)
-tranny now slightly higher than previous from flat belly

What should I be looking in to? This is just weird.

Its odd to me that you can more the clutch fork by hand with ease, even though your Nuzzy it should still take some serious force to overcome the force of a pressure plate.

did the throwout bearing fall off so the fork is not attached to it?

hyd or mechanical?

Your linkeage rotates between 2 delrin? plastic or something balls, One is on a cheesy frame mount and the other is on the engine/trans. I bet the linkage fell off the frame side when you lifted the drivetrain. Make a new very stout frame mount and all should be well.

EDIT: Just read the build thread..Have a look at the clutch fork..Hopefully it didnt fall off the release bearing.

Last edited:
Its odd to me that you can more the clutch fork by hand with ease, even though your Nuzzy it should still take some serious force to overcome the force of a pressure plate.

That's what I was thinking, and why I'm sure the problem must be something I can't see from the outside...

did the throwout bearing fall off so the fork is not attached to it?

hyd or mechanical?

Anything *could* have happened. Is there an easy way to check short of pulling the tranny? Mechanical clutch.

Your linkeage rotates between 2 delrin? plastic or something balls, One is on a cheesy frame mount and the other is on the engine/trans. I bet the linkage fell off the frame side when you lifted the drivetrain. Make a new very stout frame mount and all should be well.

EDIT: Just read the build thread..Have a look at the clutch fork..Hopefully it didnt fall off the release bearing.

Yeah, it's DEFINITELY not the linkage anymore. But the feeling is exactly the same as when my linkage would always fall apart when the engine would torque passenger. I wonder if I can get the top access plate of the tranny to see in there...

That's what I was thinking, and why I'm sure the problem must be something I can't see from the outside...

Anything *could* have happened. Is there an easy way to check short of pulling the tranny? Mechanical clutch.

Yeah, it's DEFINITELY not the linkage anymore. But the feeling is exactly the same as when my linkage would always fall apart when the engine would torque passenger. I wonder if I can get the top access plate of the tranny to see in there...

Your not gonna find anything wrong in the tranny. The pressure plate is mounted to the motor (which gives you the spring feed back your missing) and the fork is pivoting off the bellhousing which you cant see from inside. Your bolts that go from the tranny to motor could be loose, beyond that I'd say your gonna have to pull it.

I think you're right in that I'll have to pull it :mad::pissed::mad:

I grabbed the fork to wiggle it around and it definitely moved in a direction it shouldn't. I'm thinking maybe the retaining clips popped off that hold it to the throwout bearing.

Final answer was as many suggested; the throwout lever popped off the throwout bearing.

DSC00869Medium.jpg

I also found out that somewhere along the line, I lost my throwout lever pivot ball which is very odd since the housing is pretty much sealed and the ball definitely wasn't in there or on my garage floor :scratchhead:

DSC00873Medium.jpg

Nowhere seems to sell just the pivot ball, but I'll just throw in a ball bearing about the right size and call it good.

Thanks for all the suggestions :beer::beer: